• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

RaelThomas said:

Ocean Grove on the South-Eastern coast - A couple of hours from Melbourne.

If I had otherworldly vision I could stand on the beach and look upon Tasmania.
It's not super warm here but we don't get any frosts - which is a nice change from where I moved. Extends the season quite a bit.
You guys are on the West Island of NZ aren't you? [emoji23] [emoji6]

Looking good Rick. 7 weeks isn't too long at all ... They will be in the ground before you know it. The Rocoto looks great!

RaelThomas said:

Ocean Grove on the South-Eastern coast - A couple of hours from Melbourne.

If I had otherworldly vision I could stand on the beach and look upon Tasmania.
It's not super warm here but we don't get any frosts - which is a nice change from where I moved. Extends the season quite a bit.

Ya, I reckon. Y'know, if you don't get frost, you might want to give wild Texas Pequins a try. They're perennials down there and grow to 2 meters. The pods are small and thin-fleshed, and dry really well. I put in 10 plants last year and got 3 liters of dried pods before the frost killed the plants. I use the dried pods where I would normally use crushed red pepper or cayenne. It's just as hot as cayenne, but the burn doesn't last as long.

Trippa said:

Looking good Rick. 7 weeks isn't too long at all ... They will be in the ground before you know it. The Rocoto looks great!

Heh... good one Tristan! :P  Thanks for the good vibe... I'm glad I have a cool cellar to slow down the overeager... ;)

Devv said:
Thanks for the pizza dough recipe ;)

Wow just 7 weeks for you, I need to get cranking here!

No problem Scott, we've got your back. :)  Well... I say seven weeks, but that's for me with the IRT mulch and low row covers. For everybody else here it'll be more like ten or twelve. :cool: Have you gotten your early plant-out experiment running yet?

stickman said:

Ya, I reckon. Y'know, if you don't get frost, you might want to give wild Texas Pequins a try. They're perennials down there and grow to 2 meters. The pods are small and thin-fleshed, and dry really well. I put in 10 plants last year and got 3 liters of dried pods before the frost killed the plants. I use the dried pods where I would normally use crushed red pepper or cayenne. It's just as hot as cayenne, but the burn doesn't last as long.

I should! It's my first year growing Rocoto, too, which i hope will be in that vein.
I think I would really like the pequins, I'll put some in! thanks, Rick!

Trippa said:

Hey, hey! You're just jealous because Pharlap, Crowded House and Shihad deserted you! :rofl:

RaelThomas said:

I should! It's my first year growing Rocoto, too, which i hope will be in that vein.
I think I would really like the pequins, I'll put some in! thanks, Rick!

Cool! I've got plenty of seeds if you'd like. Just drop me a pm. :thumbsup:

Hey, hey! You're just jealous because Pharlap, Crowded House and Shihad deserted you! :rofl:

Heh... you guys... humor, that's the ticket! :)

OCD Chilehead said:
Hey Rick. I wanted to build a aeroponic client this year. I would use a tote of some sorts with little baskets or those cages for the aerogarden. I would then maybe use coco as a medium. I think once germinated, they would thrive. Then one could start many seeds at once, with the growth rate benifits of hydro.
http://www.grozine.com/2016/04/26/aeroponic-seedlings/

That's some great info Chuck, and food for thought. Thanks for sharing!

stickman said:

Where is a good place to buy Texan Pequin seeds?  Sounds like a fun thing to do next year....

stickman said:

No problem Scott, we've got your back. :)  Well... I say seven weeks, but that's for me with the IRT mulch and low row covers. For everybody else here it'll be more like ten or twelve. :cool: Have you gotten your early plant-out experiment running yet?

Saturday first thing, may even start Friday after work! So that's a full 4 weeks early. I really wanted them in 2 weeks ago but life got in the way ;)

Hi folks! It was time to move the Bonnets downstairs to the grow box and make room for their smaller brethren under the lights upstairs.
0302170742a.jpg

Round one plants moving along.
0302170742.jpg

Two more seeds in the pot with the Alphanerdz Douglah popped unexpectedly, so I pricked them out and gave them each their own pot.
0303170538.jpg

Still no sign of the C. Galapagoense... I'll give it another week before pulling the plug. If it doesn't show I have extra Douglahs and Forbing Nagas. TGIF all, and have a great weekend!

Hope your c. galapagoense pops for you, Rick.  When I grew one,
I found it to be a very interesting plant, but I didn't get many pods
off of it.  I think it didn't get enough sun.  But the pods are hot little
buggers for their size!

Datil said:

11700819_1613902385562191_8568676468166095368_n.jpg

Have a nice weekend Rick!

Fab

Cheers Fabrizio! I'll try on both levels. ;)

Trident chilli said:
Bonnets looking good Rick ..

Cheers John! I love the Scotch Bonnets. Maybe they're not as spicy as others but they have a respectable heat and a sort of tropical fruit-y flavor I just love.
     Your P. Dreadie and Scotch Brain seedlings are doing well. What color should the Scotch Brain end up being?

PaulG said:
Hope your c. galapagoense pops for you, Rick.  When I grew one,
I found it to be a very interesting plant, but I didn't get many pods
off of it.  I think it didn't get enough sun.  But the pods are hot little
buggers for their size!

Thanks for the encouragement and assessment on the C. Galapagoense Paul. How did they taste to you?

Trippa said:
Looking awesome Rick ... Let the spring begin!!

Cheers Tristan! I hope it comes on time this year... or even a little before. :)

Back