• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

Devv said:

Wow Rick! We are on such different schedules. I sowed my Onion seeds September 15th, and they hit the dirt January 15th. Done by mid June. I use short day varieties here. My preference is the sweet onions. We grow so many that we use the food processor and freeze them, so when the ones we cured and kept in the bins play out we have some to fall back on.

Yeah, differences in latitude will do that to ya. ;)  Long-day onions do best here since our winters are so cold. It makes for a shorter season and we get smaller bulbs. Just gotta roll with it.  :) 

Onions beginning to sprout.
0312170957.jpg

It looks like the last chile holdout is beginning to make its move here... no pics until it unfurls fully in the next day or three, but the C. Galapagoense is finally beginning to hook. :dance:

The Kurtovska Kapijas are beginning to hook up too, so that's the first of the sweets as well!

OCD Chilehead said:
Congrats on the Galapagoense. I had both of mine pop this last week. I may start a couple more and pop in the aerogarden. We'll see how these do.
Good luck with that Chuck, mine were in the Aerogarden for four weeks exactly before they started to hook up. I don't think the Aerogarden speeds germination, but it grows the sprouted seedlings faster.

Hi folks, here we are at week seven. Still waiting for the C. Galapagoense to fully sprout but it's coming. The chiles still upstairs... the smallest Forbing Nagas, the King Naga I potted up yesterday on the far right and the first Flat-Leaf Parsley potted up from the Aerogarden on the far left.
0313170601.jpg

I moved the two largest Forbing Nagas down cellar to the grow-box...
0313170602.jpg

...and Randy's Douglah.
0313170602a.jpg

Bonnets, Bonnet cross and Alphanerdz Douglah.
0313170603.jpg

Randy's Bhut/Scorpion cross and Aji Oro.
0313170603a.jpg

Piment Cabri and Giant Yellow CARDI Scorpion.
0313170603b.jpg

On a side note, I sowed some Culantro in an Aerogarden cell yesterday. When I planted it a couple of years ago I hadn't realized that it needed to be planted in shade so it grew small, tough and thorny, and spent all its energy trying to bloom. I hope to do better this year.

Have a great week all!

moruga welder said:
Everything is looking great from my view , Rick !      :party:

Cheers Frank!

karoo said:
Great looking plants , are the destined to go outside and when?

Cheers Jacques! They're all going outside, hopefully by the middle of April, which doesn't look too likely at the moment. It's near zero Farenheit here and when the air masses in the Mississippi valley and the Gulf of Mexico collide over the northeastern US tonight we could get a foot or two of snow and blizzard conditions. Typical New England weather... if you don't like it just wait a moment... it'll change. ;)
3_13_2017.png

stettoman said:
Those Kurtovska Kapijas, are those what Devv calls "Kurts"? He sent me some, haven't popped yet. You should tell him what they're called, he says he forgot... ;)

Sho' 'nuff Eric... I sent him seeds a couple of years ago. I originally got them in a trade with MisterNo who lives in Croatia. I'm 8 for 9 this morning after 8 days. If your seeds don't work out let me know. :)
0313171244.jpg

Now isn't "Kurts" so much easier to remember than Kurtovska Kapijas? Say that 10 times fast. Names I'm bad with. Give me a number like 12.204.165.18 and I can tell you what it resolves to in dns. I'm the guy you meet at a party and introduce yourself to and as you walk away; I'm like what was his name? It takes me several times to click a name to a face, but tell me your phone number? That will stick, if it's early in the evening...I did say we're at a party right? :shh:

Eric, those seeds should do well. I planted from the same batch and had to cull a few.

And Rick. I never get that many peppers from the Kurtovska Kapijas...there I said it! They must not like the heat here. But they are good!

Devv said:
Now isn't "Kurts" so much easier to remember than Kurtovska Kapijas? Say that 10 times fast. Names I'm bad with. Give me a number like 12.204.165.18 and I can tell you what it resolves to in dns. I'm the guy you meet at a party and introduce yourself to and as you walk away; I'm like what was his name? It takes me several times to click a name to a face, but tell me your phone number? That will stick, if it's early in the evening...I did say we're at a party right? :shh:

Eric, those seeds should do well. I planted from the same batch and had to cull a few.

And Rick. I never get that many peppers from the Kurtovska Kapijas...there I said it! They must not like the heat here. But they are good!

Hey Scott...no greivin' with Steven. ;)  I didn't want to badger ya for not remembering. You're good with numbers. I'm... um... less so. :rolleyes: We all have our strong suits, and yours is generosity for sharing with someone else what may not do so well for you. I did the same with some Aji Panca seeds I had. The plants grew really well and were loaded with pods, but I never got any that ripened to maturity since the frost killed them before then. So I made a virtue of necessity and passed them on to somebody further south that had a prayer of getting them to ripen. :)

Another Kapija popped this afternoon to make 9 for 9, and the Szegedi Paprika are starting to hook up tonight to make 3 for 6.  :dance:    

Hi all! Having made lunch and a gallon of chicken stock in the pressure cooker, I'm sitting at home, bored, with a foot of snow on the ground and more coming down outside. I know, I'll repot the first-round plants! They probably need it anyway, or will soon.

Piment Cabri
0314171441.jpg

Giant Yellow Cardi Scorpion
0314171445.jpg

Randy's Bhut-Scorpion cross
0314171449.jpg

a very dry Aji Oro
0314171453.jpg

I moved them from 16 ounce cups to 1 liter air-pruning "Airpots" after fluffing the roots a bit. They were just starting to circle the bottom of the cups.
0314171517.jpg

Cheers!

stickman said:
Hi all! Having made lunch and a gallon of chicken stock in the pressure cooker, I'm sitting at home, bored, with a foot of snow on the ground and more coming down outside. I know, I'll repot the first-round plants! They probably need it anyway, or will soon.

Piment Cabri
attachicon.gif
0314171441.jpg

Giant Yellow Cardi Scorpion
attachicon.gif
0314171445.jpg

Randy's Bhut-Scorpion cross
attachicon.gif
0314171449.jpg

a very dry Aji Oro
attachicon.gif
0314171453.jpg

I moved them from 16 ounce cups to 1 liter air-pruning "Airpots" after fluffing the roots a bit. They were just starting to circle the bottom of the cups.
attachicon.gif
0314171517.jpg

Cheers!
The plants are looking really good Rick ! , especially with them there new shoes ,     :party:

One of the things I love about the Airpots is that it's almost impossible to overwater... just give them all they'll hold and let the excess drain out. You might have to water a bit more often and you end up with the thickest root ball with no circling. :party:

Good call on the transplant, Rickster!
Your plants look like they are responding
well to your TLC, brother   :cheers:

Our weather is in kind of a sucky late winter / early
spring pattern here, but not as bad as the dump
you guys are getting.  I feel your pain, buddy!

:point:  Maybe it means a great growing season.

Back