• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2018 Soil Mineralization Glog

Hi all! Now that the new year is here, it's time to swing into gear and get ready for the next season of growing chiles! I'll be starting my seeds in a few weeks, and after rotating the crops in my raised beds to get rid of the Pepper Maggots that showed up in 2016, I'll be able to plant a lot more this year. In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I do to prepare my garden soil for the start of the season. I've grown chiles in pots and in-ground, and for me at least, I seem to do better with the plants grown in the soil.

To start with, my garden soil is sandy, so I have to add lots of compost in the top six inches of soil to hold moisture and prevent nutrients from leaching away. Soil microbes break it down in just a few years though, so keeping it topped up is a yearly necessity. We compost our kitchen waste to that end, but there's never enough, so we also buy it from a local outfit that produces it commercially. I was put onto adding biochar as well by brother Scott (Devv.)  The biochar does the same things that humus does but it lasts longer and  helps the environment by sequestering carbon in the soil. I've also been reading about how amending with Montmorillonite clay can increase fertility and help with soil structure, but more on that in a future post.

At the end of each growing season I take soil samples from my various gardens and get them tested at Logan Labs in Ohio. They do a more thorough job than our UMass extension by testing for Cobalt, Molybdenum and Silicate levels as well as he usual suspects. :)    I'm taking a "Build and Maintain" approach toward soil nutrients because I want my plants to have the best organic nutrition available to them, and at the small scale I'm planting, it's affordable for me. http://nevegetable.org/cultural-practices/plant-nutrients  

Here's my last soil test, taken the end of November. It's the starting point for figuring what amendments I'll need when I prep my beds for planting in the spring. The pepper garden is bordered in yellow.
fall2017soiltest.png

In my next post I'll cover the math I use to figure that out. Cheers!

Devv said:
Oh, that white stuff was on the ground when we did the NY trip. I think I'm staying put!
Heh... I can see yer point Scott, but it ended up not so bad yesterday. The sun came out in the afternoon and melted all the snow that wasn't in shadow.
MikeUSMC said:
Just getting caught up here now, Rick. You're off to a great start, man! :party:
Cheers Mike! I just finished your Bahamian hot sauce and almost finished the Tom Brady sauce. Both were very smooth-tasting... a little more heat in the #12. I still think your original recipe was the best.

I got a scheduling break this morning, and was able to pick up half a yard of compost mixed with biochar. That's enough to mix my amendments with before spreading on my raised beds.
Cheers all!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
0440cbf6278700a603fec379efe3ec4a.jpg

stickman said:
Heh... I can see yer point Scott, but it ended up not so bad yesterday. The sun came out in the afternoon and melted all the snow that wasn't in shadow.
Cheers Mike! I just finished your Bahamian hot sauce and almost finished the Tom Brady sauce. Both were very smooth-tasting... a little more heat in the #12. I still think your original recipe was the best.

I got a scheduling break this morning, and was able to pick up half a yard of compost mixed with biochar. That's enough to mix my amendments with before spreading on my raised beds.
Cheers all!

0440cbf6278700a603fec379efe3ec4a.jpg

Good score! Nothing around here I would trust; but would love to find it ;)

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
I was going to do all hydro grow.. but think it will be easier to do Hempy Coco 5 gallon buckets. I can use up them General Organics Nutes. Nice Compost Pile.. BTW.
Good luck guy... It would be a very strange world if we all did the same things, eh?
Devv said:

Good score! Nothing around here I would trust; but would love to find it ;)
Gee, sorry to hear that Scott. I don't know what I'd do if there wasn't a handy supply of quality compost nearby. With just me and my wife here at home, we don't generate enough for our various gardens in the course of a year, though I notice that this past winter very little leached away. Hopefully that means we can keep it topped off with less from now on.

First-round plants are doing really well. The Red Rocoto has forked and is starting to bud up. The rest are looking tall and lush... except the MoAs, that just look very lush.
30d935c44cff345a2c41828782a9f053.jpg
08b1d12c230438f7f26f3a454f66a2fe.jpg
15c4d66904fe989c3b10ddf5b5254914.jpg
c2a21549e1758b0fe72b6e7779689168.jpg
75f65244c56673f6d3dc01fec6b9dcbb.jpg
0ddd6d7a9b91e4d93dc00a68f7a5e6ec.jpg
56f45102aa79e7facc4d1159ab02fc97.jpg
bc58d4b5d8ef05c0b99ac522d5c7a7e3.jpg
fa653b6d07dc152a5fa37f451ff5c84f.jpg

Well, I think I made it most of the way through page two this time. This has to be one of the most information-dense threads on the site. Keep up the good work.

Just FYI, I have some Gochu started. Got the seeds from Scott and I think he said he got his start from you. Something gave me that impression anyway. Thanks for spreading them around.

Sawyer said:
Well, I think I made it most of the way through page two this time. This has to be one of the most information-dense threads on the site. Keep up the good work.

Just FYI, I have some Gochu started. Got the seeds from Scott and I think he said he got his start from you. Something gave me that impression anyway. Thanks for spreading them around.

Cheers John, I hope you found it useful. :)

Glad to hear you got some Gochu plants started. Looking for them is what got me into this place initially, and I'm glad to see folks like Scott that I've shared seeds with are continuing the tradition. Good luck with your grow this season!

Devv said:
Looking spectacular Rick!

The plants are more ready for the dirt than the dirt is ready for them. But when the time comes..... ;)
I think you're right Scott... it snowed again yesterday before turning to rain. The overnight lows for the next 5 days are supposed to be at or below freezing, but should be OK for hardening off the kale and onions in a cloche outside after that. I need that to happen so I have the room to start my tomatoes and eggplants. Cheers!
ee6f3196edbeddf943ebea8242a5e21e.jpg

We had a sunny day today... low 40s and not much wind, so I finally amended my raised beds by mixing them in a wheelbarrow. Each bed got 12 shovels of 10% biochar to 90% compost. I Mixed everything with a hoe like I used to mix cement and mortar when I was a Mason's tender, spread them evenly on the beds and fluffed the soil (without turning it over) with a spading fork. That lets air and water in to the roots without breaking up the soil structure.
b6d5a33f799eb509c3aee5fa301ae06e.jpg
9b0b280535a38aaadbed036cc0a5375f.jpg
6350e5243a8a546b192616c9de412e5f.jpg

Glad the weather was in your favor today. ;)

The mix looks great! I'm guessing all the goodies went into it?

I don't know how many times we have a great week and the weekend...well sucks. Like yesterday, low 50's then high 40's with killer wind. LB and I were out there anyway, stuff needs to get done.

Sawyer said:
If I were a plant, those pictures would have me say, "Yum!"
S'right brother! The veggie garden is 400 square feet divided into five 4 x 20 foot raised beds. I weighed out the amendments separately for each bed to make for a more even distribution, and mixed them with the compo-char so it would hold them at the soil surface without leaching. The cobalt, copper and molybdenum were all sulfates that depend on microbial activity to break them down into soluble form that the plants can use. The same is true of the feather meal for nitrogen and the flowers of sulfur. I added granular humates to the mix to chelate with them and help with plant absorbtion. The rest was wood ashes for potassium and calcium, and borax for boron.
Devv said:
Glad the weather was in your favor today. ;)

The mix looks great! I'm guessing all the goodies went into it?

I don't know how many times we have a great week and the weekend...well sucks. Like yesterday, low 50's then high 40's with killer wind. LB and I were out there anyway, stuff needs to get done.
I hear ya 'bout the weather Scott... it's usually cold and blustery here this time of year and you've gotta grab the times that come along to get things done. The native trees are beginning to blossom here, per usual, and they depend on the wind for pollination... too bad that one of my Wife's allergies is to tree pollen. She's been getting allergy shots to reduce the severity of the symptoms for a couple of years now, and it seems to be working. Last spring was the first time she could work in her flower gardens without wearing a full respirator!
Yeah, the amendments were cut into the compo-char with the hoe. It works pretty well, I don't see how I could improve on the results. [emoji4]

Genetikx said:
I thought the same thing as Sawyer before even seeing his post, that dirt looks delicious lol
Cheers Ryan! That's what I'm aiming for. [emoji4]

Hi Rick,

Good to see that spring has arrived to your place as well! Just to satisfy my own curiousity: are those Szegedi Paprikas the ones I sent you centuries ago?
Just checked your pics, and as usual, you can be proud to your babies!
Balázs

Back