• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2018 Soil Mineralization Glog

Hi all! Now that the new year is here, it's time to swing into gear and get ready for the next season of growing chiles! I'll be starting my seeds in a few weeks, and after rotating the crops in my raised beds to get rid of the Pepper Maggots that showed up in 2016, I'll be able to plant a lot more this year. In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I do to prepare my garden soil for the start of the season. I've grown chiles in pots and in-ground, and for me at least, I seem to do better with the plants grown in the soil.

To start with, my garden soil is sandy, so I have to add lots of compost in the top six inches of soil to hold moisture and prevent nutrients from leaching away. Soil microbes break it down in just a few years though, so keeping it topped up is a yearly necessity. We compost our kitchen waste to that end, but there's never enough, so we also buy it from a local outfit that produces it commercially. I was put onto adding biochar as well by brother Scott (Devv.)  The biochar does the same things that humus does but it lasts longer and  helps the environment by sequestering carbon in the soil. I've also been reading about how amending with Montmorillonite clay can increase fertility and help with soil structure, but more on that in a future post.

At the end of each growing season I take soil samples from my various gardens and get them tested at Logan Labs in Ohio. They do a more thorough job than our UMass extension by testing for Cobalt, Molybdenum and Silicate levels as well as he usual suspects. :)    I'm taking a "Build and Maintain" approach toward soil nutrients because I want my plants to have the best organic nutrition available to them, and at the small scale I'm planting, it's affordable for me. http://nevegetable.org/cultural-practices/plant-nutrients  

Here's my last soil test, taken the end of November. It's the starting point for figuring what amendments I'll need when I prep my beds for planting in the spring. The pepper garden is bordered in yellow.
fall2017soiltest.png

In my next post I'll cover the math I use to figure that out. Cheers!

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Rick,

Good to see that spring has arrived to your place as well! Just to satisfy my own curiousity: are those Szegedi Paprikas the ones I sent you over centuries ago?
Just checked your pics, and as usual, you can be proud to your babies!
Balázs

Hey, Balázs is in the house, cheers buddy! That's right, I'm still growing them and have shared the seeds quite a bit on THP and with folks around here.
Thanks so much for sharing, and please thank your wife's Grandfather for me and let him know they've found a welcome home here. :) How's the family, and are you growing any chiles this year?

stickman said:
S'right brother! The veggie garden is 400 square feet divided into five 4 x 20 foot raised beds. I weighed out the amendments separately for each bed to make for a more even distribution, and mixed them with the compo-char so it would hold them at the soil surface without leaching. The cobalt, copper and molybdenum were all sulfates that depend on microbial activity to break them down into soluble form that the plants can use. The same is true of the feather meal for nitrogen and the flowers of sulfur. I added granular humates to the mix to chelate with them and help with plant absorbtion. The rest was wood ashes for potassium and calcium, and borax for boron.I hear ya 'bout the weather Scott... it's usually cold and blustery here this time of year and you've gotta grab the times that come along to get things done. The native trees are beginning to blossom here, per usual, and they depend on the wind for pollination... too bad that one of my Wife's allergies is to tree pollen. She's been getting allergy shots to reduce the severity of the symptoms for a couple of years now, and it seems to be working. Last spring was the first time she could work in her flower gardens without wearing a full respirator!
Yeah, the amendments were cut into the compo-char with the hoe. It works pretty well, I don't see how I could improve on the results. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

First off, good to see you Balázs!

The trees starting to blossom is a good sign! It won't be much longer now ;)

I feel for your wife. I've had allergy shots off and on since I was 16; the first scratch tests sent me into anaphylactic shock and it took 4 hits of Adrenalin to keep me alive. They really worked well for me in 3 different geographic locations. But now they won't give them to me anymore, the last 2 tries, out of 5 ended because I react badly to them. Apparently from what I'm told, they changed the base material and my body hates it. So now I just adjust with my arsenal of goodies ;) I'm still here!

Devv said:

First off, good to see you Balázs!

The trees starting to blossom is a good sign! It won't be much longer now ;)

I feel for your wife. I've had allergy shots off and on since I was 16; the first scratch tests sent me into anaphylactic shock and it took 4 hits of Adrenalin to keep me alive. They really worked well for me in 3 different geographic locations. But now they won't give them to me anymore, the last 2 tries, out of 5 ended because I react badly to them. Apparently from what I'm told, they changed the base material and my body hates it. So now I just adjust with my arsenal of goodies ;) I'm still here!

Boy, if your allergies are as bad as hers, I feel for ya Scott!

Things are getting pretty crowded around here while I wait for the overnight lows to stay above the mid-30s. The extended forecast predicts we'll be there on Friday night, and the solar mulch from Johnny's Seeds should get here by then. I'll be extremely glad to get the cloche set up behind the house and begin hardening off the kale and onions!

310.png

f72cb19a27ea4b34a208645961d1aa5b.jpg
a069ecc9ed0d70c134e70ed3d5645877.jpg
63aff12c66c85c8292ea5ed4eb9290c0.jpg
2d907d5ff2ac131685c2bb6c04d1c3e0.jpg
f40db1243297e140ccde30081b1e9937.jpg
2f65bf6af23f8ff43c89cd83500bcd5b.jpg
e6370070654e7a94ef75553f3a91b719.jpg

Rick,

I think I might have asked you this before, but I cannot remember in my old age...  With the solar mulch, do you lay it down first, then pin it down somehow and then cut holes where you want your plants?  Do you just cut an "X" or do you cut out a circle?  Thanks!

bpiela said:
Rick,

I think I might have asked you this before, but I cannot remember in my old age...  With the solar mulch, do you lay it down first, then pin it down somehow and then cut holes where you want your plants?  Do you just cut an "X" or do you cut out a circle?  Thanks!
Hi Ben.[emoji4]
First I prep the bed by adding amendments and loosening the soil with a broadfork or spading fork and rake it out smooth and even so the mulch film has the best possible contact with it. That way it'll warm the soil instead of the air space between them. If using a soaker hose or in-line dripper system, I lay it down on top of the soil before laying out the mulch film, and press it in level with rhe soil surface. Then I lay down the film. The edges of the film can be buried, weighted down or pinned in place with sod staples, but the wind should not be allowed to get underneath to worry the film loose. I cut exes in the film to transplant into, and pin down the film next to the plants for the same reason. Good luck!

Devv said:
The soldiers are more than ready for mother nature to give up winter.

I can't wait to see the show!

Oh, me too Scott. :)

tsurrie said:
Those are some nice plants Rick. Already some really big plants on those pics. They're gonna love the soil you mixed for them.

Cheers Uros, I think so. :)

It looks like things are gonna start to move today. I checked the USPS tracking, and I'll be getting the solar mulch film in the mail today. After work I'll lay it down and set up the cloche over it. Tomorrow should warm up enough overnight to begin hardening off the kale and onions, and I'll start the tomatoes and baby eggplants. Getting closer... :P

411.png

Now we're talkin' ;)

I never used mine this season, I pulled it out and then checked the soil temps. It warmed up so fast this year. Funny it's been rather cool lately, mid 40's forecast yet again this weekend.

Devv said:
Now we're talkin' ;)

I never used mine this season, I pulled it out and then checked the soil temps. It warmed up so fast this year. Funny it's been rather cool lately, mid 40's forecast yet again this weekend.
Ya... it looks like it may be a cooler than usual Spring this year. I'm thinking I'll definitely need the solar mulch this season.

I finished setting up the cloche after work and put the kale and onions in it to harden off. Next it's up-potting the Annuums. [emoji4]
9c16d9e7d8257df0adad98f2e1faf012.jpg

Very nice, Rick! I've never used solar mulch, but every year I use "Weed Proof". Almost the same, but it has tiny holes throughout and the plastic looks a little different. Costs about $16 for 50' or 75' roll (I can't remember which) at Wally. I'll never not use it. I haven't pulled weeds in years and I can leave the garden in longer in fall. (I may have told you all of that last year. Lol)

Your plants are looking great! Especially the few in air pots. Nice looking veggies, as well. Great stuff!

Bhuter said:
Very nice, Rick! I've never used solar mulch, but every year I use "Weed Proof". Almost the same, but it has tiny holes throughout and the plastic looks a little different. Costs about $16 for 50' or 75' roll (I can't remember which) at Wally. I'll never not use it. I haven't pulled weeds in years and I can leave the garden in longer in fall. (I may have told you all of that last year. Lol)

Your plants are looking great! Especially the few in air pots. Nice looking veggies, as well. Great stuff!
Cheers Adam! The solar mulch film isn't perforated like the Weed Proof, so water has a harder time getting through it. That's why I lay soaker hose or in-line drippers underneath it. Its advantages are that it doesn't lose the moisture in the soil as quickly as a permeable mulch film, and it warms the soil a few degrees more than black poly.
chocolatescotchbonnet said:
Feed the soil.. heat the soil.. etc.
S'right brother, this far north it's just how we have to roll to get the most out of our short growing season... [emoji6]

Most of the Annuums are up-potted... I'll finish tonight and sow the tomatoes and eggplants tomorrow.

TGIF all!

a590a857df7296bb06fe0d4f51ec296f.jpg

Devv said:
It's starting to come together ;)
Yup. [emoji16] I got the Annuums all up-potted and filled a starter tray with soil-less mix in preparation for sowing Speckled Roman plum tomatoes and Sungold cherry tomatoes from seeds I saved last season. I found a great down-and-dirty method for saving tomato seeds... instead of fermenting the seeds and jelly together, I just smeared them into a brown paper bag and put it into the sun to dry. After a few hours it was dry, and I just scraped the seeds off the paper. I like the fist-sized, purple baby eggplants better than the big Italian types because they have no bitterness.

Hi all, we made it past Friday the 13th with no major mishaps I see, though most of us in the east have a big chill heading for us on Sunday into Sunday night.
I got my latest flat sowed... 5 kinds of tomatoes, Thai eggplants, Tomatillos and Syrian oregano (za'atar.) The up-potted Annuums are looking happy, and the growdown plant is up to 9 inches tall.

Have a great weekend all!

94fc9d01201826d590a6a74c3a9639da.jpg
7c3d006c5de7a3e8cc1515467025ae1f.jpg
8af080715012ae81816d7bb2b2d9b135.jpg
51d86341f329e44d583b22e0234723e8.jpg
11aa9f64d5daa0e0a02398c370b0f55d.jpg
650f63885a0a17e9e956f7fff45f56d5.jpg
e9aecb246940e2bda5356ba7eab271c7.jpg
e9079ebcf12bfebe16a9633da06b0413.jpg

The Yellow Brainstrain is an amazing pepper plant. I started mine 30 days after all the others due to contest rules. It's vigor is outstanding, it has outpaced everything else I have going. Now it just needs to pod up..LOL ;)

Back