• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Super Hots Canada - Grow 2014-2015 (Starts on Page 12) - I have a greenhouse now! YAY! :D

I suppose rather than starting a new topic each time I update you all on my progress, it's better to stick to one...

So to begin with, I just have a small update for today:

My largest Cayenne (which I just pruned back in the past couple of weeks) is finally growing it's very first flowers. This is one of six Cayenne's that I originally bought as seedlings. This one has taken off the best. The rest seemed to have struggled to grow.

20130920_073946_450x600.jpg

One of my young Jalapeño (I believe) plants is also starting to flower. This is one that I started from seed and it's showing a good many more flowers than the Cayenne, shown above, even though it is far smaller and younger.

20130920_074030_450x600.jpg

Seeing them start to flower, I decided to add some more Tomato mix (5-7-7) to all my plants to hopefully help them along the way.

I water my plants with a 20-20-20 plant feed every couple of weeks, occasionally I'll spray them down with an epsom salt mix and if the roots start to show I'll add some 3-in-1 (or 4-in-1) soil blend to top them off.

How often ought a person add tomato mix/bone meal/soil to their planters (indoors) to keep them growing and healthy - any suggestions?

After a scare this past Friday where we had a hail storm for 5 minutes I began taking my plants back inside, back into my grow room. I know there is going to some nice weather ahead (including this past day), but paranoia got the better of me. Turns out it was rather good that I took them in - last night we had some pretty high winds that knocked over a make-shift fence I built and knocked over my tomato & pea plants.

Starting that day I began clearing out my grow room in the basement to get a fresh start inside. I scrubbed down the room and hopefully it'll be free of aphids this time!

The next day I turned on the lights to let the room warm a bit and then moved in around half my plants (mostly my milder varieties). The next day I pulled in most of the rest, including my largest - Brown Naglah & Carolina Reaper.. Both of those are in pretty large plastic storage bins. When I first took them outside around late-June/early-July I couldn't even lift 'em. Apparently I've gotten some good exercise in since then because now I can actually lift them - a definite bonus over having to drag them from down in the backyard!

That day I grabbed a few photos from inside the grow room:

Brown Naglah:

brown-naglah.jpg

Carolina Reaper:

carolina-reaper.jpg

Habanero Red:

habanero-red.jpg

Purple Cayenne (I believe):

purple-cayenne.jpg

... These photos were taken tonight..

Tonight's Harvest of Brown Naglah pods:

brown-naglah-harvest.jpg

.. In that handful, at the very bottom, is the smallest pod I've grown to date:

smallest-brown-naglah.jpg

.. and this was taken a couple days ago or so.. it's my current collection of harvest pods - primarily Brown Naglah, Habanero Red and Naga Jolokia (in that order) with a few milds in the mix.. I still have a whole lot of pods growing or waiting to be harvested.

collection.jpg

beardedchunk said:
Just caught up with your glog. Great job, superhots! The naglah pods look like a handful of the devil's turds! Enjoy :D

Thanks! .. I won't be eating most of them fresh - my tolerance ain't THAT high yet. That and I'll be stripping the seeds to put up for sale. I'll be dehydrating most of them so I'll have them through the winter and maybe give out samples around my area - see if I can get some folks hooked. :)

Oh wow.. been a good while since I've posted an update!

As of the past couple of days I've nearly finished harvesting all the pods off my Brown Naglah and my Carolina Reaper... The Reaper pods were certainly late-growers and overall, since putting the plants outside around early July, I've gotten maybe 35 pods (with around 25 just harvested in the past couple of days). My Reaper is also my oldest pepper plant - having been planted LAST year somewhere around early summer - and this is it's first real harvest (kinda tells the rough life it's had, surviving the experience of me knowing absolutely nothing of growing to where I am now).

Overall, I think I've gotten somewhere around 270-300 pods off my Brown Naglah since putting it outside around early July.. A very impressive turn-around from only having gotten around 5-7 off of it in the time before that (it first poked through the soil the day before New Year's).

Many of my Naglah Jolokia that are in the basement (but not in my grow room) are still working on growing quite a few pods, which is great.

Here are some of the largest pods I've gotten off of my Naglah:

naglahs.jpg

And this week I decided to take the latest pile of Naglah pods that I had de-seeded and dehydrated (around 50-70 pods) and try my hand at making a powder - the old-fashioned way - with a mortar & pestle.. To say the least, I ended up sneezing a whole lot and I apparently got a bit up my nose and had a dull heat in my nose for around 2-3 hours.. Here's the end result:

brown-naglah-powder.jpg

And here's a sample of how the labels are looking for my seed packs (in this case, my Purple Cayenne):

purple-cayenne-labels.jpg

Now, for the bad news....

Since around a month after taking the plants back in from outside in late September the damn aphids have returned.. But this time around there seems to be two different types - the red ones that gave me so much trouble in the past, and now these pale, nearly-white ones.. And despite practically drowning my plants (especially my largest - the Naglah) over and over with soapy water with a pressure spray bottle, they seem to winning the battle and destroying my plants. :(

So now I'm considering a rather drastic plan I had in mind a short while before the summer hit (albeit, now I'm altering the plan) of taking the plants out of the grow room and starting fresh with all-new plants. My original plan called for simply killing off the existing plants, but now that I'm seeing that the Naga Jolokia plants that I've been keeping in the basement windows are doing just fine I'm thinking of just trimming the current plants (that are in the grow room) back, hosing them down and putting them out with the Naglah's.

In anticipation of that I took the time in the past few days to dig up some Jiffy pellets and plant some new seeds. My thinking is that I'll do my best to keep the current lot growing, for now, while I see if I can this new lot to germinate and safely grow. Once the new seedlings get off to a good start I'll trim back the existing ones, clear them out of the grow room, scrub the grow room down from head-to-toe (to hopefully FINALLY be rid of the damn aphids), and then move the new seedlings into the grow room.

With the existing ones trimmed back and put in the main area of the basement, I'll attempt to keep them alive so that when the Spring/Summer hits again I can put them outside and give them another go at growing & harvesting. By that time the new seedlings will hopefully be mature, producing and ready to spend time out in the nice, warm summer sun - meaning I'll have all the new ones, along with all the current ones.

My current grow list includes:

Brown Naglah
Carolina Reaper (HP22B)
Naga Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion "Butch T"
007 Red
7 Pot Bubblegum
Habanero Red
Super Chili
Cayenne
Jalapeno
One Mystery type (provided by Gotrox)
Sweet Heat
Cayennetta
Sweet Pompeii
Pimento Elite

.. all of these have produced to some degree, EXCEPT: The Gotrox "mystery", 7 Pot Bubblegum, and Butch T.

The line-up I just planted includes some of same I already have, but will focus much more on the "super-hots" (in an effort to, well, live up to my business name):

(PE - PepperLover, BE - Buckeye Pepper Company, PJ - Pepper Joe, ME - my own seeds, GO - (Gotrox, I believe))

Planted: November 11, 2014

ME Brown Naglah
PE Carolina Reaper
BE 7 Pot Bubblegum
PE 7 Pot Brain Strain (Red)
PE Bhut Jolokia (White)
PE Bhut Jolokia (Indian Carbon)
GO Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
BE 7 Pot Barrackpore
PE Wild Tepin
PE Datil
PE Trinidad Douglah
PE 7 Pot Brain Strain (Yellow)
PE 7 Pot White
PJ Naga Viper
PE Bhut Jolokia (Orange)
PE Bhut Jolokia (Brown)
PJ Trinidad "Butch T" Scorpion
PE Black Congo
PE 7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic

Planted: November 13, 2014

BE Fish Pepper
PE Elephants' Ear
PE Devil's Horn
PE Pink Tiger
PE Farmers' Jalapeno

(please note: I'm taking another chance on a couple of the varieties I got from Pepper Joe before discovering the forum and learning about him, simply because I really want a try of the couple varieties in question - Naga Viper and Butch T)

Here's to hoping that these germinate and take off! With my couple orders I've gotten from PepperLover I really aimed towards getting a variety of colors.. I don't particularly want to focus on growing Bhuts, but of the seed varieties I have, they have the most color variation. And I've thrown in a few ornamental & milder varieties, such as the Pink Tiger, Tepin, and Fish because I'm hoping to try growing a few outside of my grow room (if I can just keep the damn cats away, somehow!).

*super-crosses fingers!*

One week since the last post and 15 out of 48 seeds have sprouted so far!

Nov 18
7 Pot Brain Strain (Red) [2]
Bhut Jolokia (White) [2]
Moruga Scorpion [1]
Bhut Jolokia (Orange) [1]
Black Congo [1]
7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic [1]
Farmers' Jalapeno [1]

Nov 19
Carolina Reaper [1]
7 Pot Bubblegum [1]

Nov 20
Datil [1]
Bhut Jolokia (Brown) [1]
Devil's Horn [1]
7 Pot Bubblegum [1]

20141121_011754.jpg

I'm slowly piecing together a database and website for tracking my new seedlings. I intend to evolve it into a full-fledged journal system where I'll be able to track details from the point of planting, each transplant, feedings, watering, first flower, first pod, etc. I've got SKU's generated for each seed I plant, but so far I haven't got them added to the little flags I've stuck into each container (still a work-in-progress).

So far everything is just on a single page and rather cluttered. I intend to change that when I have the time so that each entry has it's own full-page, including photos taken to track it's life-cycle.

Let me know what you think:
http://cart.superhots.ca/growlist/

Runescape said:
I might be trippin...but where does it mention when the seeds where planted?

Oh crap! .. Dude, you're not tripping, I somehow left that detail out. Thank you for pointing it out! *grumbles to himself*

** ALL FIXED! **

I really gotta work on updating a bit more often, but I've been busy working on building my website (finally).

I'm slowly ridding my babies of the damn aphids.. I spray down all my seedlings that are in my grow room practically every night, as well as all the others that are in the grow room and about once or twice a week I give a full spray-down of all the plants in the grow room.

Because of the aphids I had to trim back all of my plants (excluding the seedlings, of course) some time back and now most of them are recovering fairly nicely. A few, sadly, died along the way. My Reaper is starting to recover quite well, and my Naglah is making efforts (though some of it's limbs have died so I've had to cut it back over the past few weeks). Here is how those two are looking:

reaper-and-naglah.jpg

Not all of my seedlings have been moved down to the grow room (10 seedlings still upstairs under the T8), but the following pictures show the ones that currently are:

seedlings-01.jpg

seedlings-02.jpg

seedlings-03.jpg

seedlings-04.jpg

Here is a list of all the seedlings I have started (or am attempting) since November 2014: http://cart.superhots.ca/growlist/

INQUIRY: You'll notice that some of the leaves on my seedlings have lost their color.. Any idea on what might be causing this? Could it be a nutrient deficiency? Any suggestion on what I might do to help these seedlings out?

afr0n0me said:
What are you feeding the seedlings ?

They're planted in Sunshine Mix No. 4 (http://sunshineadvanced.com/) and topped with a small handful of Bone & Blood Meal mix, as well as a sprinkle of Super-Phosphate (0-52-0), a sprinkle of Calcium Sulfate, and a handful each of Granular Seaweed. I've watered them once or twice (over the space of a month or so) with Plant-Prod Starter feed (http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/17091.6668240_4.jpg)

.. The stuff I've topped them with is slow release materials, I believe, and I've had good luck with this approach in the past without the leaves losing their color.

damn that's alot of feed lol. What is the point of the sprinkling of bone/blood mix ? The plant won't really absorb that very good or very fast that way.

afr0n0me said:
damn that's alot of feed lol. What is the point of the sprinkling of bone/blood mix ? The plant won't really absorb that very good or very fast that way.

Well, as far as I know the soil mix itself has plenty of what they need already - so slow/long-term absorption is what I have in mind there. I've tried mixing the Bone/Blood Meal in with the soil when planting the seeds before, but I think that proved to be a bit hard on the seedlings. I can easily admit I still don't quite understandable all the in's and out's of the different feeds, but this is what I've found has worked quite well for me over the past year & a half since I first started - especially since when I transplant I typically carry over the soil into the next planter/container.

(this is kinda why I'd really like to go back to school to go for at least a diploma in Plant Science, but so far that doesn't seem to be an option for me)

mpicante said:
Mark,looking good!really really nice.Hopefully the VIPERS grow true...

Thanks! And yes, hopefully so... I have plenty varieties from Pepper Joe, but as I'm sure you can tell I'm leaning towards planting seeds I've gotten from much more reliable vendors. :)

Back