• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Super Hots Canada - Grow 2014-2015 (Starts on Page 12) - I have a greenhouse now! YAY! :D

I suppose rather than starting a new topic each time I update you all on my progress, it's better to stick to one...

So to begin with, I just have a small update for today:

My largest Cayenne (which I just pruned back in the past couple of weeks) is finally growing it's very first flowers. This is one of six Cayenne's that I originally bought as seedlings. This one has taken off the best. The rest seemed to have struggled to grow.

20130920_073946_450x600.jpg

One of my young Jalapeño (I believe) plants is also starting to flower. This is one that I started from seed and it's showing a good many more flowers than the Cayenne, shown above, even though it is far smaller and younger.

20130920_074030_450x600.jpg

Seeing them start to flower, I decided to add some more Tomato mix (5-7-7) to all my plants to hopefully help them along the way.

I water my plants with a 20-20-20 plant feed every couple of weeks, occasionally I'll spray them down with an epsom salt mix and if the roots start to show I'll add some 3-in-1 (or 4-in-1) soil blend to top them off.

How often ought a person add tomato mix/bone meal/soil to their planters (indoors) to keep them growing and healthy - any suggestions?

MrBubblehead said:
Pretty interesting read. And I can see my plants taking over my house much as they have yours. My original plan was to move mine outside but this NS weather is terrible. So they have taken over the spare bedroom. Which I'm sure doesn't thrill the gf or the landlord ;)

If you don't mind me asking where did you get your HPS from? The room I moved my plants into had three windows, 2 east and one south so I think I'm OK on light for now but come fall I'll need light.

I ordered mine from an online shop in Quebec called "HydroShop.ca".

Though, I've since discovered a cool little hydroponic shop here in county (in Trenton) that carries exact same equipment and bulbs for less.. So if I manage to expand I'll be looking to that shop for my equipment since they have lower prices, they're a local connection -and- I obviously won't need to worry about shipping. I have no idea if he'll deliver or not, but I spoke to him for a good a while and he seems like a pretty awesome guy. He's very passionate about growing healthy and he only just started his shop in the past year and he's loving it so far. He's open-minded and I could tell from speaking with him that he loves absorbing new information. You can take a peek at his website here: http://www.howieshappyhydroponics.ca/

There's bound to be hydroponic shops much closer to your area - especially since the valley is much closer to you than it is to me. I'd say nose around online and see what you find. :)

My hope is to somehow find support and make a move to Truro (or nearby) and try and get a full greenhouse operation off the ground at some point.

I haven't updated too much in the past bit..

After two or three years of being rather burned out when it comes to web development (aka for the longest time now I'd get a severe headache after coding for even half an hour) I've -finally- got my focus back and it's come at a time where I've been having to dig in and get a client project completed ASAP. To say the least, my babies haven't quite gotten the attention in the past week or two that they typically do. And I still haven't come across anymore ladybugs. :(

This afternoon was pretty damn nice out, so I finally got up the nerve to do something I've been considering for a while - moving most of my plants outside into the actual sun!

Though we have a pretty large yard (especially for living near the center of a small town), the positioning of our trees doesn't leave too many spots that get plenty of sunlight. One of the only good spots is a rather unofficial path that cuts through our top lawn (beside the house) that's been flattened down over the past few years, so I placed my babies along that path. They're looking rather gaudy at the moment (especially now that I see them outside, under the sun) but I certainly hope they survive and fill out! (and that ladybugs come along and eat all those damn aphids!):

outside.jpg

The list I've moved outside includes: 9 Naga Jolokia, 2 Habanero Red, and my Super Chile.

That driveway you might notice to the left actually circles around our house and just the left of the driveway (the part you can see in the photo above) is a couple of small barns (we have pigeons). Last year we had one little squirrel darting around and this year we actually have three and at least one of them doesn't mind running right up to us!

I grabbed a few photos using the crappy zoom feature on my phone.. here's the best one:

squirrel.jpg

Been meaning to come check out your grow lately, looking real nice.  AHHH Truro I really do like that town, is it Bible Hill that is on the outskirts that always gets flooded in the spring thaw? Anyways I'm thinking of making a trip out east in the fall its been too long, if all goes well I'll have some pods I could send your way so I'll stay in contact.

Mr bubblehead I saw the mention of the valley, there used to be a nice little shop in or near Wolfville, just down the street from British Cycle if you know where that is, but it has been years since I've been to that neck of the woods.

Chris Kewley said:
Been meaning to come check out your grow lately, looking real nice.  AHHH Truro I really do like that town, is it Bible Hill that is on the outskirts that always gets flooded in the spring thaw? Anyways I'm thinking of making a trip out east in the fall its been too long, if all goes well I'll have some pods I could send your way so I'll stay in contact.

Mr bubblehead I saw the mention of the valley, there used to be a nice little shop in or near Wolfville, just down the street from British Cycle if you know where that is, but it has been years since I've been to that neck of the woods.

Almost all the ones I put out a few days ago have lost a good lot of leaves because I screwed up and didn't keep an eye on how cold it was going to get overnight. A couple nights ago the temperature must have dipped a bit too much for their liking. :(  So last night I put them all into the basement and then took them back outside today. Frost is apparently still possible for almost another week according to the forecasts. Ugh... I need to move somewhere much warmer. lol

And inside I'm struggling, again, with the aphids because the few ladybugs I had buggered off. Grrr. I really need to figure out when it is those little buggers come out of hiding outside, so I can catch some.

And that'd be awesome! Maybe we could do a bit of swap if I can get my babies producing some more. My Naglah, hands down, is my best plant, but I'm really hoping the ones I've put outside bounce back, suck up that sunlight and start really producing. :)

I finally found some ladybugs in the last few days! Not many, only around 4-5. Apparently, we have red ones -and- yellow ones. But either way, hopefully they'll make a difference in my grow room. A couple were in the middle of humping when I found 'em. lol

In the past couple of weeks I've been much more diligent when it comes to checking for aphids and spraying them dead. My Brown Naglah & Reaper are my two largest pepper plants that are in the grow room at the moment. The Reaper is finally starting to branch & leaf out again - slowly - and the Naglah is struggling to flower again. The Naglah, ever my largest, is still the one with the most trouble with the aphids, while the rest of my plants seem almost free of the little buggers - FINALLY! .. Oh and I have beans and peas in the grow room now. :)

Outside has been rather rough - far too much rain. BUT! All my babies I put outside (all the Naga Jolokia, both Habanero, one Cayenne and the Super Chile) are surviving and a number are slowly getting new leaves. One of the Naga Jolokia has flowered a bit and has a single pod growing, even though almost all the ones outside are pretty barren when it comes to leaves (first time trying to harden off and I screwed up lol).

All that aside, I had to order some new business cards for a client today, so I finally got around to designing my own. I designed one for my work-in-progress pepper business and another for my web development. And since the online shop I ordered from had a pretty good special on I also designed & ordered a t-shirt and keychain:

sightcraft_biz-card.jpg

Marketing-Splash.jpg

(designs by me, original images auto-generated by VistaPrint.ca while placing the order)

Been a good while since I gave an update on my plants that are still indoors...

Around a month ago (see previous posts) when I began transitioning all my Ghosts, Habaneros, and a few others to a life outside there was around three primary reasons for the move - to free up space in my small grow room, to see if these babies could flourish if they were put in natural sunlight and, most importantly, to hope that by having them outside that ladybugs & others might help eradicate the aphids off of them. The cold/frost outside didn't end up a little past mid-June here, so most of those I put outside ended up losing a ton of leaves - and they're just now beginning to begin growing new leaves and branches (and oddly enough, they seem more determined to grow buds).

Since that transition I began becoming much more diligent about attempting to eradicate the aphids on my babies that are still indoors, and I also picked up a few new babies from local stores/greenhouses. Sadly, I've pretty much lost the Habanero seedling I bought, along with another baby. And before finally getting the aphids down to a manageable number (most are on my Brown Naglah.. ugh) I nearly lost nearly all my other babies. So, rather than post pictures of my babies at a low point in their lives where they were nearly all void of leaves I decided to wait and see if they might recover.

I think my original Cayenne is nearly (if not already) dead (even the green from the stems is fading away), but most others - I'm very proud to say - are recovering!

So without further ado, let the photos begin (sorry about the blurriness of a few! - bit tough getting steady photos with a hurt foot):

-----------------------------

Carolina Reaper
He's hanging in and really starting to fill out again.. Only trouble is that even his new leaves are going tough and wrinkling & folding inward. Calcium deficiency, maybe? I've topped his soil with some Calcium Sulfate pellets/powder so hopefully that'll help him some in time. *crosses fingers* Any other suggestions?

. and I'm sad to report that his little spider friend that was hanging around for over a month is gone :(

carolina-reaper.jpg

Butch T
This poor little fella was planted around a month before my Brown Naglah (so around the first of December) and the furthest he's gotten was to start flowering.. but he's had a rough life from the very start because of the damn aphids. Like so many others of my babies I ended up topping him (around the end of May/early June), but now he's looking pretty damn happy so maybe he'll finally make some real progress!

butch-t.jpg

007 Red
This has been the one I've been hoping on the most ever since the good folks at Buckeye Pepper Company sent the seeds to me as a freebie (if I remember correctly)! It's had a tough life because of the aphids, but it's starting to look good - again:

007-red.jpg

7 Pot Bubblegum
This poor bugger is one that I ordered from Buckeye and I've been so excited about growing a baby that'll actually see the color of the pods bleed into the stems (seems so cool to me).. yet, at every turn this poor guy has been beat down. I thought for sure he would be dead (just look how poorly thin his poor stem is), but he's really starting to do well. I stuck the stick in the ground yesterday to hold him up because he has this secondary stem growing out one side that's about 2-3 times as thick as his main stem and I don't want him to snap himself when he's just finally branching out! .. He was planted a day after the 007 (late February).

7-pot-bubblegum.jpg

Mystery Plant (seeds from Gotrox)
Of the six seedlings I started from the spoonful of mixed seeds I received from a contest that Gotrox held, this guy is sadly the only one to survive. Germination rates were great and they all were growing quite well (awesome seeds Gotrox!), but they were no match for the aphids. :( .. I really hope this fella begins to flourish so I can see some pods and maybe find out what he is!

gotrox-mystery.jpg

Sweet Heat
This is one of the new babies I picked up from a store in the past month or so. The pods growing on him were already there when I picked 'em out (part of the reason I grabbed this particular one). He's been putting out flowers, but none have turned to pods yet. The aphids nearly got 'em, but I won this round and I'm keeping it that way. In the past week his branches have started growing out and he's getting taller pretty quickly.

sweet-heat.jpg

"Pimenta 'Cayennetta' Cayenne Hybrid"
.. That's the name on the label. I picked it up because I figured I could use some more pods that grow long, and because it's quite leafy. Right now it's reminding me of the Super Chile - very bushy and not getting too tall. It's starting to flower and seems to have plenty of pollen, but no pods just yet.

cayennetta.jpg

.. And here's my first small harvest of beans (first I've tried to grow since elementary, I think lol):

beans.jpg

Brown Naglah
.. and finally my prize baby. I really wish I could get him outside, but I can barely even lift the large plastic bin he's in -and-, much more importantly, he simply won't fit through the doorways unless I lob off a lot of his branches and I really, really don't want to do that. But I do want him outside in the natural sun so that he might spend the rest of the summer pushing out tons of pods... It's a dilemma. :(

He's still dealing with aphids, but I'm doing my best to keep them down.. p.s. you can't see all of him in this photo.. too damn big in a small room lol

brown-naglah.jpg

------------------

... In the past couple weeks I actually made a valiant effort to clean the glass casing my HPS light is in (it was really, really dusty.. but it's tough for me to even take it down from the ceiling) and since then I've been leaving it on 24/7. Yeah, that's going to jack up the electricity bill, I'm sure, but my babies are finally bouncing back and I've noticed a definitive difference in the aphids.. The constant light seems to slow those damn little buggers. *nod*

.. P.s. those aren't all my babies, just the one's recovering/doing the best. I have one other picture right now, but it's far too blurry. lol

Here is the first pod off that "Sweet Heat" mentioned in my last post. This is a plant that I bought at a local garden center, if I remember correctly, last month. I did a quick search and it appears they are supposed to get much bigger then this little pod has (and it's the largest of the 3-5 growing on the plant). Could just be because the plant is young.

Info from the seed producer: http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peppers/hot-peppers/pepper-hot-sweet-heat-hybrid-prod002735.html

My little pod is only around 1.3 inches, and when I cut it open - absolutely zero seeds. :(

There was only a split-second hint at heat before it was gone and a hint of sweet taste came and went just as quickly. The flavor reminds me of somewhere between a Bell pepper and a bean, after this wave of smoky taste passed. It'd probably go well in a salsa. :)

sweet-heat.jpg

Sweat Heat pods lookin' good.

That Reaper will bounce back with all the Ca it's got now, glad to hear the aphids are losing ground as well :twisted:

miguelovic said:
Lookin' good from here :) Hopefully that Reaper bounces back.

It's definitely doing better. It has some flowers right now and signs of more on the way. I finally put it outside to enjoy the summer heat & sun, just today. Actually, I moved that and a few others outside today, including my Butch T, 007 Red, Japaleno, Cayenne a mystery one and maybe a couple others. I moved the Brown Naglah outside a good while back and though it's only just starting to get it's leaves back, it has started on at least a couple of pods in the past few days - and they're growing damn fast. :)

My best Habanero Red (only 2 left at this point - both outside) looks like it's going to be full of pods in no time and many of my Ghosts (all outside) are growing tons of flowers and some are starting on pods.

I can't seem to get a shot at getting to the beach this summer, but at least it looks like I'll have a good many pods probably by the end of the summer :)

miguelovic said:
The mulatto brown hue I carry around is just a figment of your imagination...

Or many days, beer in hand, ass in sand :D

Grrrrr!

Right now my peppers are the one thing I have going for me. lol .. Haven't had a car in nearly a year, so far my one friend I could tag along with to the beach never has time to get to the beach, and my longest relationship just ended at the end of June.. Thought I found a good one - especially since she actually went through with trying the Brown Naglah and others - but apparently it was another dead-end. lol

My very first pod to be born and mature outside since moving my plants out there in mid-June! (a Naga Jolokia):

gallery_8674_152_580024.jpg

Also, between my two Habanero Red I look to have probably 25-30 pods growing, so far, one of my Naga Jolokia has around 15-20 pods started/on the go and my Brown Naglah is currently growing/started on nearly -50 pods-! .. So damn proud of my Naglah.. and it's pushing out new flowers and starting on new pods on what seems like a daily basis! .. My Reaper is flowering and has a ton of buds started, so hopefully it'll be starting on pods soon, as well. :)

So I figure trying to use pictures to show the size of my Brown Naglah doesn't really do it justice. So I tried making a short video with my phone. It's a bit shaky, but hopefully it's alright:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Y-hFsdcCY[/media]

Around a week or so ago it only had around 40-50 pods growing. Now it's looking to have upwards of 80-100.. Just hoping some of them manage to mature before our short growing season passes! :)

Small bit of an update.. These photos were taken on August 12th, so I'm nearly a week behind on posting them. lol

Up first is my Brown Naglah..
When I took these photos the pod count was around 70-80. A couple days ago or so when I did a recount it was up to 160+. More seem to start every day and I see a ton more flowers on the way... Just a matter of waiting and seeing how long the weather will hold up. With it already into mid-August I'm worried our summer weather will pass us by before it has a chance to finish growing the pods. :(

brown-naglah.jpg

brown-naglah-1.jpg

brown-naglah-2.jpg

My next-best producers seem to be my two Habanero Red. They each seem to have at least 15-30 pods growing:

habanero-red.jpg

And at least one of my Naga Jolokia is doing fairly well. The last I checked it had around 10-15 pods growing and a few of the other 8 plants had maybe 1-4 growing, each.

naga-jolokia.jpg

Last weekend I picked up a couple new plants. One is, I believe, a Purple Cayenne and the other was labelled "Pompeii":

purple-cayenne.jpg

pompeii.jpg

Back around June I picked up a few plants from local stores and garden centers.. Sadly, because of the aphids that were still in my grow room, a few didn't make it. One that seems to be flourishing is a Cayenne-hybrid that's labelled "Cayennetta".. The picture below is the first pods to mature. I cooked them in with some rice after getting the seeds from them. Didn't notice much affect on the flavor of the rice, but I'm guessing the heat level is pretty darn low on these ones because I barely felt the faintest tingle when I ate the rice. lol

cayennetta.jpg

And finally, here's a shot of part of my garden (It's grown much more since I took these photos). I'm growing cucumber, turnip and carrots (all heirloom varieties), along with green beans and peas, tomatoes and what was supposed to be pumpkins.. For the second year in a row they plants are turning out to be some damn "yellow melon". Last year not a single fruit matured before getting to the size of a hardball and dropping off the plants. Grrr

garden.jpg

Devv said:
Good stuff going on there in a challenging environment.

Wishing you continued success!

Thanks!

I've got at least three friends that have said they want to try the Naglah's. :D

Last year we got a ton of rain in July and loads of sun in August. This year it seems to be flipped and we've been having a lot of rainy days in the past couple of weeks. I kinda wish the rain would bugger off so the sun could focus on doing it's job. lol

Well for here, we had some rain this season, which has been rare the last 10 years or so. But it's dry again, normal for August, hoping the September rains come and do some good. We're in the 3 digit stage temp wise, but the fall cool down is about 30 days out. And that will bring us into the 90's, from there it's better every day. You have your winter and we have our summer, a 90 day+ period of heat torture, but I'll do the heat any day compared to the cold (was born in NY). At least I have a few hours in the AM before it gets crazy :shh:

Devv said:
Well for here, we had some rain this season, which has been rare the last 10 years or so. But it's dry again, normal for August, hoping the September rains come and do some good. We're in the 3 digit stage temp wise, but the fall cool down is about 30 days out. And that will bring us into the 90's, from there it's better every day. You have your winter and we have our summer, a 90 day+ period of heat torture, but I'll do the heat any day compared to the cold (was born in NY). At least I have a few hours in the AM before it gets crazy :shh:

I quite agree - I'd much rather the heat than the damn winter cold. lol

If I could watch my peppers grow under the sun all-year round I'd be happy as hell... Next time around I'm going to be more careful when it comes to hardening them off when I first put them out. And my grow room is free of aphids now, so hopefully it'll stay that way.

Back