• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Swampys Kiwi grow.

Hi guys

Greetings from New Zealand
We are about a month away from the shortest day so its almost time to start up some chillis.
This is my first real attempt at growing chillis so it should be fun.
I will be starting off under lights,then moving into a greenhouse that i have yet to build before moving them outside.
I have received all my seeds and just need to decide which ones and how many to grow.
These are what I have:

Numex Big Jim
Cayenne long Red
Jalapeno
Bhut jolokia
Red Habenero
Ancho ST Luis
Dorset Naga
Red 7 pot
Fatalli
Aji lemon drop
Naga Morich
Yellow Morich Scorpion
Bishops crown

Will keep you posted.  :)

Coming along nicely, mate!

Swampy_NZ said:
Is it normally for the Cayennes and Bij Jims to be so far ahead of the Hots?

Yup, totally normal. C. annuum usually grows faster than C. chinense.

4 weeks since seeds were sown.Apart from a few of the Bhuts being yellow all seems fine so far.
In a few weeks I may replace the CFLs with a 600watt Metal Halide.We will see.  :)

Thanks guys
I soaked the reaper and bhuts last night so will sow them today.
I need to do some culling.All the Bhuts are yellow and stunted so they will go.My only Habanero is sickly so will also go.My new tunnel is 4mtrs x 2mtrs so im looking at 14 plants(2 of each) total inside and a few extras outside.
Only the strongest will survive and I will give the rest away

6 week update:
I gave everything a good prune and topping today.Things are looking good.
I am going to set up a dutch bucket hydro system and have 5 plants in hydro and 5 plants soil for my poly tunnel.
All but 2 of my reapers and Choc Bhuts have come up so that was a nice surprise, all in under a week.

Coming up to 8 weeks(3 weeks for the Choc Bhuts and Reapers)
Have culled a few and pruned things back a lot.I still have a few months before spring gets here.
My polytunnel  arrived and I put it up last weekend.Thinking about putting them into it with a heater to keep things going until warmer weather.

Hmmmm, pretty jealous.  My plants are a long way back.  I sowed seeds throughout June and my biggest are about the size of your Reapers.You are going a great job. I have been growing with natural light on a window sill, your grow is making want to get my grow light out. Those dorset nagas look very happy.

I see you are bottom watering.  Are you fertilizing at all and if so are you adding it to the water?  I started my seeds in Solo cups 2 weeks after you and my biggest are just onto their 4th set of true leaves. I suspect they have been a bit cold on the window sill, just recently they are growing a bit faster.  When will you move yours to the greenhouse?

Back