• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Swampys Kiwi grow.

Hi guys

Greetings from New Zealand
We are about a month away from the shortest day so its almost time to start up some chillis.
This is my first real attempt at growing chillis so it should be fun.
I will be starting off under lights,then moving into a greenhouse that i have yet to build before moving them outside.
I have received all my seeds and just need to decide which ones and how many to grow.
These are what I have:

Numex Big Jim
Cayenne long Red
Jalapeno
Bhut jolokia
Red Habenero
Ancho ST Luis
Dorset Naga
Red 7 pot
Fatalli
Aji lemon drop
Naga Morich
Yellow Morich Scorpion
Bishops crown

Will keep you posted.  :)

Robisburning said:
Those are looking great.  I am looking forward to harvest pictures, you shouldn't be too far away.  When are you going to let the super hots pod up?
I will probably keep sniping of the flowers for another month or two.I am not worried if I don't get any early pods. :)

Man, those are going crazy.  Are you having to water much?  What temp will the greenhouse get to and what temp do you limit it to?

I am so impressed with this grow, can't wait to see the mega harvest photos.

Robisburning said:
Man, those are going crazy.  Are you having to water much?  What temp will the greenhouse get to and what temp do you limit it to?

I am so impressed with this grow, can't wait to see the mega harvest photos.
I have only given them a full soaking(Where water runs out the bottom)3 times as the roots haven't taken over yet but I do water around the stem where its gets dry almost daily.
Its get up to about 35C in there if I forget to open the door up but with the door open on a sunny day it get around 28-30C.Soon I will install my fan and thermostat to keep temps nice and even.

All good here.The large Cayenne is podding like mad as well as the Bigjims.Just put down some more seeds.Red,yellow and peach Bhuts plus some red 7 pots and Fatalii.
The Dorset nagas are flowering like crazy and the yellow moruga has started too.

This is how things looks 8 weeks ago.

And now.
Group shot

Biggest Dorset naga

Cayenne

Yellow Scopion and Reaper at the back

plants are looking really good mate, that cayenne is quite impressive!
How are you doing for bugs? do you get many in your greenhouse?

nzchili said:
plants are looking really good mate, that cayenne is quite impressive!
How are you doing for bugs? do you get many in your greenhouse?
Mainly fungus gnats.I have yellow sticky traps around all the plants that collect a lot.
Have only spied a few Aphids so far.Checking everyday for them though.

Nice grow alright swampy! You're about a month ahead of me (Marlborough). Please don't forget to keep us updated mate.

Hey, the yellow Morugas - trademe? I had pretty eratic results from everything I got from one seller pretty much and excellent results from another in chch. Next year I'm getting all my seed from FDC or HAC.

deerdog said:
Nice grow alright swampy! You're about a month ahead of me (Marlborough). Please don't forget to keep us updated mate.

Hey, the yellow Morugas - trademe? I had pretty eratic results from everything I got from one seller pretty much and excellent results from another in chch. Next year I'm getting all my seed from FDC or HAC.
Yeah,both myself and nzchili has poor germination results with the yellow Morugas from TM but the one that made it is cranking.Should have alot of seeds next year too.

^Yup, my one that did germ is not even looking like a chinense..looks like a mutant annum with thick waxy leaves with odd veins and isnt really growing..
No more trademe seeds for me.

Im just glad there's a few of us kiwi's here now so we can all trade seeds from good known super hots, with the change in import laws n all.

Hey Deerdog, im not sure what FDC or HAC is, but I have some seeds you can have if you need some real super hot seeds :) 

I just put in a gamble order anyway with Judy for her new devils brain, devils horn and devils heart strains..hopefully they make it =D

nzchili said:
^Yup, my one that did germ is not even looking like a chinense..looks like a mutant annum with thick waxy leaves with odd veins and isnt really growing..

Im just glad there's a few of us kiwi's here now so we can all trade seeds from good known super hots, with the change in import laws n all.

Hey Deerdog, im not sure what FDC or HAC is, but I have some seeds you can have if you need some real super hot seeds :)

I just put in a gamble order anyway with Judy for her new devils brain, devils horn and devils heart strains..hopefully they make it =D

FDC =  http://www.firedragonchillies.com/

HAC =http://www.hotttasschillies.co.nz/

Both of them are on facebook too.Check them out 

nzchili said:

That'd be cool to get a bit of a seed collective going.I intend to do some polenating bags over a few flowers this year of plants I'm certain are not hybrids which will most likely include;

Yellow and choc bhuts
Naga Morich
Reapers
Yellow 7 pot

My trinidad scorps (butch t and morugas) are not going that well, I axed a moruga this morning that had a mite infestation. They seem sulky and lack vigor so I'm uncertain wether I'll try them again next year.

And my red bhuts, the chilli I wanted most....they all look more like 7 pots so are probably cross bred.

deerdog said:
That'd be cool to get a bit of a seed collective going.I intend to do some polenating bags over a few flowers this year of plants I'm certain are not hybrids which will most likely include;

Yellow and choc bhuts
Naga Morich
Reapers
Yellow 7 pot

My trinidad scorps (butch t and morugas) are not going that well, I axed a moruga this morning that had a mite infestation. They seem sulky and lack vigor so I'm uncertain wether I'll try them again next year.

And my red bhuts, the chilli I wanted most....they all look more like 7 pots so are probably cross bred.
sweet, we should have loads of seeds in no time :)
iv got some red bhut seeds you can have if you want. I havent grown any plants from the particular seeds but they didnt come from trademe/ebay so should be good.

Thanks alot nzchili, but I'll wait till next season, might be a bit late to start seed for this season now.
worst case senario last year Bunnings had red bhuts, I might put my pride aside and get a half dozen of them.

Maybe we should start a NZ thread somewhere so we don't choke swampy's glog up with banter?

Back