• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Swampys Kiwi grow.

Hi guys

Greetings from New Zealand
We are about a month away from the shortest day so its almost time to start up some chillis.
This is my first real attempt at growing chillis so it should be fun.
I will be starting off under lights,then moving into a greenhouse that i have yet to build before moving them outside.
I have received all my seeds and just need to decide which ones and how many to grow.
These are what I have:

Numex Big Jim
Cayenne long Red
Jalapeno
Bhut jolokia
Red Habenero
Ancho ST Luis
Dorset Naga
Red 7 pot
Fatalli
Aji lemon drop
Naga Morich
Yellow Morich Scorpion
Bishops crown

Will keep you posted.  :)

Robisburning said:
I see you are bottom watering.  Are you fertilizing at all and if so are you adding it to the water?  I started my seeds in Solo cups 2 weeks after you and my biggest are just onto their 4th set of true leaves. I suspect they have been a bit cold on the window sill, just recently they are growing a bit faster.  When will you move yours to the greenhouse?
I was only bottom watering because my soil had dried out and was not taking in the water properly,so bottom watering gave it a good soak but I bought some wetting agent from Bunnings  that you sprinkle on top and now im top watering again.
I am giving everything a half does of a fert from House and garden but I also have some Floranova bloom which I will be switching to soon.
As for when im moving to the tunnel,its still bloody cold here in Hamilton so I will wait until things warm up more,Sep-Oct probably.Its nice and warm in my wardrobe at the mo.  :)

Hmmm, those are some pretty speccy looking fertilizers.  I might need to invest.  I have yet to fertilize this year so that might help things along.

Robisburning said:
Hmmm, those are some pretty speccy looking fertilizers.  I might need to invest.  I have yet to fertilize this year so that might help things along.
The Floranova Bloom is about $60 Ltr from SOG.its has less nitrogen in it than the grow which i like.

The Choc bhuts and Reapers are looking super healthy.
I hung a small towel up on a coat hanger which I soak every morning to keep the humidity up at around 50%.Seems to have helped a lot.Less leaf curling etc.

nzchili said:
Nice looking plants! They look super dark green :)
Whats the n/p/k of the flora nova bloom?
My new fav fert is a 5/8/12
The bloom is 4-8-7 and 4-2 for Cal and Mg
The reapers and Bhuts haven't had any ferts yet while the bigger plants are only getting half strength of the House and garden. :)
Whats the new fert you are using??

Going to do a little experiment.
I have taken one of the Choc bhuts and put it in my poly tunnel.I want to see if the cold nights will slow down the growth compared to the ones under lights.
We are due some frosts here  in the next few days so should get pretty chilly.
Have taken a photo now and will take another in a week and compare to the indoor ones. :)

I am doing the exact some experiment at the moment and the results are not looking good.  My plants are much smaller than yours but the white bhuts are showing some leaf curl which I suspect is from the cold.  I got up at 3am last night to measure the temp in the greenhouse and it was 1.2c above ambient so not a huge difference really, certainly not what I was hoping for.  Interestingly the soil in the garden beds was about 3 degrees below the ambient air temp so they must be radiating some IR.

Just got all my pots cleaned and sorted:

1 x 150 Ltr
2 x 110 Ltr
3 x 65   Ltr
2 x 50   Ltr
1 x 30   Ltr

The Cayenne,Bigjim and Choc bhut are doing fine in the tunnel although they are slightly behind compared to the ones under lights.

Spring is nearly here   :)
Been bizzy the last few days.Mixed and potted up 750 ltrs(197 gallons)of soil.Compost,potting mix,pumice,worm castings,dolomite lime and chicken and sheep pellets.
Theses are what went where:

Dorset Naga        - 160 litres
Dorset Naga        - 110 litres
Carolina Reaper  - 110 litres
Carolina Reaper  -   65 litres
Carolina Reaper  -   50 litres
Chocolate Bhut    - 110 litres
Chocolate Bhut    -   50 litres
Yellow Scorpion   -   65 litres
Red Cayenne      -   30 litres
Big Jim                 -   30 litres

Group shot

Dorset naga at the back Choc Bhut in front.

Yellow Moruga Scorpion

Choc Bhut

Reaper

Dorset Naga

Ah, found it!
Looking good man, those are some pretty epic pots! im really interested to see the differences the different pot sizes make..I wonder where the point of diminishing returns is in relation to pot size? :)

nzchili said:
Ah, found it!
Looking good man, those are some pretty epic pots! im really interested to see the differences the different pot sizes make..I wonder where the point of diminishing returns is in relation to pot size? :)
Dunno good question.Im going off the guys from sea spring seeds in England.Check this video out  :)
If i even get close to those numbers i will be happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bm93RBvMfc

I have admired that video multiple times!
I have a raised bed in the back of my garden, Its split into two halves. ill probably give a whole half to one of my pepper plants and see what happens :)
I have lots of room so will probably try some plants in the raised bed, some in the dirt, and some in normalish sized pots and see whats what.

Have been in the polytunnel for two weeks now.Things are coming along well.
Not a hell of a lot of top growth but thats to be expected after planting into such big pots.Them roots are finding a spacious new home.
The cayenne and big jims are going nuts with heaps of flowers.Some of the plants still in small pots are going to a new home soon.
Spring is underway and I probably wont need the heater at night soon although it was pretty cold last night.
I am also cutting off all flowers that start popping up on the hots with some small nail scissors.
Every thing is getting a half strength of House & Gardens soil A+B. :)

Yellow Scorpion branching like crazy.Gunna be a bushy one.

Dorset Naga in 17 gallons.

Group shot.Nagas,Bij Jims and a Cayenne.

Dorset Naga in 42 gallons.This is my unofficial entry into the SeaSpring seeds Dorset Naga competition   :)

Choc Bhut in 28 gallons.

Group shot with my helper.

Dude is that Terazila that you're using? The soil looks very much like it. And man those are massive plants! Putting mine to shame for sure.

SentencedToBurn said:
Dude is that Terazila that you're using? The soil looks very much like it. And man those are massive plants! Putting mine to shame for sure.
Its a mixture of various composts,potting mixes,pumice,sheep pellets and dolomite lime. :)

Those are looking great.  I am looking forward to harvest pictures, you shouldn't be too far away.  When are you going to let the super hots pod up?

Back