• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Tastiest Hot Sauce on the Planet...Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce

What!!! you've never tried it?

it is a good all around sauce... not the absolute best.. but more useful than ketchup I find... I always have some at hand even if with my other sauce collection growing I don't often use it anymore... I still have some

the nice thing is it has decent heat if you use enough... and it tastes pretty good and it is quite cheap... I like it on hot dogs and in soups... but for most other things I tend to use my other sauces

I have to say though... it is really good with a little miracle whip on some lightly toasted multi grain bread and nice lettuce with a bit of tomato and left over turkey...

I haven't tried it yet.

When I first started looking for hot sauces, I looked for the habanero based non extracts on our local store shelves first.

Then I started reading about some of the favorite hot sauces of other chile heads and heard about El Yucateco and Melinda's sauces.

So I ordered those online.

And then I ordered some sauces from some of the members here at THP.

So yeah, there are still sauces on our local grocery shelves that I haven't tried yet.

My wife and I read labels and if vinegar is listed as one of the top two or three ingredients, we'll usually give that sauce a pass...so I've never tried any of the Frank's hot sauces either.

dvg

My wife and I read labels and if vinegar is listed as one of the top two or three ingredients, we'll usually give that sauce a pass...so I've never tried any of the Frank's hot sauces either.

dvg

Vinegar is 5th on the ingredients list and it's listed as distilled vinegar.
It really is a nice tasting GP sauce.
I find it more useful than a super hot sauce.

Vinegar is 5th on the ingredients list and it's listed as distilled vinegar.
It really is a nice tasting GP sauce.
I find it more useful than a super hot sauce.

Thanks for that info Hittmann, I looked for it online, but wasn't able to find it easily.

We'll have to pick some up. My wife doesn't like the really hot sauces, but she does like to use the flavorful ones with just a bit of heat.

She really likes the Nando's Hot Peri-Peri sauce, and has been using that with her meals recently.

dvg

Wow...I'm surprised at the popularity of this post.
In addition to the Sriracha Hot Sauce let me add a few honorable mentions...I really enjoy the entire line of Melinda's Hot Sauces. They are reasonably priced too.
Also, I ran across a "Moonshine Hot Sauce" recently and purchased it. Ingredients are listed as vinegar, onion juice, garlic juice, pepper, salt and natural flavor.
Man, this stuff rocks on southern greens like Collards and Turnip greens.
Hey got a question...all of these Hot Sauces say '0' calories on the label....I could bear to lose a few pounds....so if i ONLY eat hot sauce for a few days??????
:onfire:

I guess there technically would be calories in it... but how many people use tablespoons of the stuff at a time as a serving...

Well...

other than people from this site? :lol:

Oh.. and you could eat anything you want and lose weight, providing the calories in whatever you are eating are less than your body requires to maintain itself... some teacher proved this to his students by going on an (anti supersize me) Big Mac and egg mcmuffin diet for a few weeks...

Wow...I'm surprised at the popularity of this post.
In addition to the Sriracha Hot Sauce let me add a few honorable mentions...I really enjoy teh entire line of Melinda's Hot Sauces. They are reasonably priced too.
Also, I ran across a "Moonshine Hot Sauce" recently and purchased it. Ingredients ae listed as vinegar, onion juice, garlic juice, pepper, salt adn natural flavor.
Man, this stuff rocks on southern greens like Collards adn Turnip greens.
Hey got a question...all of these Hot Sauces say '0' calories on the label....I could bare to lose a few pounds....so if i ONLY eat hot sauce for a few days??????

this stuff rocks on southern greens like Collards adn Turnip greens.
Hey got a question...all of these Hot Sauces say '0' calories on the label....I could bare to lose a few pounds....so if i ONLY eat hot sauce for a few days??????
If it says 0, it may mean there is less than one per the serving size. Less than one is 0 on FDA labels. Still low of course.

I always call it Sir-aht-cha sauce... mostly because I for some reason never noticed the first R and I am pretty sure I heard others say it that way too... close enough I guess?

i have always called this stuff chinese chicken because i dont know how to pronounce sriracha. it is one of my favorites.

pepperjoe,
that's a good working number. Just wanted to know if you were locked into only one brand. There's been a thread here a while back about "how many bottles in the fridge" and many had over 50.

I am not home to count but venturing a guess my husband and I probably have around 35 to 40 opened in the fridge and maybe another 10 in the pantry unopened.

Ok due to this thread and my curiousity everytime someone posted about this sauce I finally purchased The Rooster brand on Thursday. What a very unique sauce! We nearly ate the whole bottle - We had it with pulled pork enchiladas with mexican rice and refired beans that night it was great on ALL of them and then I put it on Fried Chicken last night - An amazing taste that seems to blend well with other flavors and on its own. Not hot by any crazy means but a little backend heat and flavor.

I also like the rooster (Huy Fong's) Garlic Chili Sauce as well, especially on Asian take-out to kick it up some more.

garlic.jpg

So I finally bought some of the Rooster Sriracha yesterday and tried it on some oven baked yam fries, last night.

I have to say I was impressed with Sriracha, it has a good, above average flavor and I could still feel a bit of heat from it on my tongue.

It's funny to me that I remember eating this sauce a long time ago and still remember how blistering hot it seemed to me then... :rofl:

dvg

The Huy Fong sauces are made from ripe red Jalapenos that he contracts with farmers in California to provide him with. He wants to be able to have a consistant, quality sauce and not be subject to shortages. I like this. By the way, Huy Fong is not his name. It's the name of the ship he arrived to America on. Huy Fong is a "rags-to-riches" success story that basically began with making sauce in the garage and walking it around to places in the Asian communities of Los Angeles. This is pretty much the same story as how Tapatio got started. Both are family operations that started from scratch. Both Tapatio and Huy Fong created sauces that became wildly popular and, so, they don't deviate from the recipe or cut corners. You know when you buy a bottle of Huy Fong's or Tapatio you're going to get pretty much the same sauce as you had last year. Now, there are some heat deviations with Sriracha as some bottles can be a lot hotter than others. But that's a good thing! Huy Fong never imagined their sauce would become as popular as it has. A lot of the great sauces started with not wanting to be "big"---just wanting to make a great sauce.

The Huy Fong Sriracha is useful as it is thick and thus does not drip off the food. A local sushi place here uses it in a special roll they make. One of the things I miss about Hawaii is Ba-Le Vietnamese sandwiches and you'd go there and the Sriracha was there on the counter. The Huy Fong Chile Garlic Sauce is awesome in making a Arriabata pasta sauce. The Sambal Olek, hell, you can just eat that out of the jar by itself it's so tasty. But I like to use it to make dips for potstickers and such. A local pita place here has a lot of hot sauces for their shwarma and falafels but the most popular are the Huy Fong Sriracha and Cholula.

Back