• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TC's 2016 Pepper Patch

I am going to try and do a Glog this year.  This is my initial grow list and I am sure it will change once I see what seeds are left from the Chris Phillips auction.

Aji Jobito -- Lindberg
Aji Llaneron -- Lindberg
Aji Margariteno -- Lindberg
Aji Pepon -- Lindberg
Aji Rosita Red -- Lindberg
Aji Risito Yellow -- Lindberg
Bahamian Goat -- Jamison
Billy Biker Jalapeño -- Burpee
Brown BBG7 --Romy6
Caramel Brainstrain --Romy6
Chocolate Habanero -- Juanitos
Cumra Cherry -- Pepperlover
Friarello Di Napoli -- TC saved seeds
Guajillo -- Unknown
Hot Rod Serrano X CBBG7 -- FreeportBum
Jimmy Nardello -- TC saved seeds
Marconi -- TC saved seeds
MOA Scotch Bonnets -- TC saved seeds
Mystery Citrus -- GrantMichaels
Mystery Wine -- Joyner
Numex Big Jim -- Fiogga
Onza -- Chili Pepper Institute
Orange 7-Pot -- Buckeye
Pasilla Bajio -- Unknown
Red Rocoto Lima Market #1 -- FreeportBum
Rocapica -- FreeportBum
Rocoto PI 355812 -- FreeportBum
Rocoto PI 585273 -- FreeportBum
Rocoto San Isidro -- FreeportBum
Yellow Manzano -- FreeportBum
Yellow SBJ7 -- Romy6
Yellow Tepin -- Unknown

I plan to have roughly 45-50 plants.  So I may have some doubles in there and I will be adding some more varieties.  

Baha Goat x Butch T Yellow -- D3monic
Lemon Drop x Inca Berry -- D3monic

tctenten said:
Thanks! I do not, so they will be tossed into a wooded area across from my house.

I saw in Rick's grog that the yellow manzano is full shade.

How about the others:

Rocopico
Lima market
Pl355812
San Isidro

Thanks.
san isidro and lima makt were both grown in full sun and set a ton of pods. The others I would do full shade for june,july,aug. just to be safe. if for some reason the others are dropping a lot of flowers move them into the shade. cheers 

FreeportBum said:
san isidro and lima makt were both grown in full sun and set a ton of pods. The others I would do full shade for june,july,aug. just to be safe. if for some reason the others are dropping a lot of flowers move them into the shade. cheers
Geat thanks Devan.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
Great looking plants, Terry! Really tough looking - thick stems and healthy foliage. They're going to dominate those grow bags in no time!
Thanks. My plants seem bigger and stronger than last year. The only thing I changed was that I used the Espoma to feed them.

Here are a few flower pictures.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

tctenten said:
Thanks. My plants seem bigger and stronger than last year. The only thing I changed was that I used the Espoma to feed them.
\

That stuff is gold. Are you using Tomato Tone? I decided to try their chicken manure for part of my grow this year. It has comparable nutrients and it's less than half price.

This year I am using Pro-gro by North Country Organics. Last year I used tomato tone and the Pro-gro separately and they both worked out fine for me. The only reason I go with the Pro-gro is that I can buy it in 50lb bags.
Hybrid Mode 01 said:
That stuff is gold. Are you using Tomato Tone? I decided to try their chicken manure for part of my grow this year. It has comparable nutrients and it's less than half price.
I will be interested to see how it compares.

Ozzy2001 said:
Yeah, 50's are fine. Looking good brother! We'll be elbows deep in pods soon enough. :)
Yes hopefully.

D3monic said:
Its 85 here, i put mine out and the fam dragged me to the movies, i'm so worried. I know just what you're going through lol
85...wow...we have not seen that here yet. The good thing is that if they can handle that, then they are ready.

Devv said:
plants are looking great!

I wish I could grow the pubes here,not in the summer anyways!
I am going to try again.  Last year i got 3 pods that didn't even ripen before they ran out of time.  This year I have some good advice and I hope that will do it for me.  

Mine set pods the second year, I kept it under a huge Live Oak tree. An Opossum ate it and a few others and they never recovered. I have 2 seedlings that are hating life and I expect them to pass on, so more seeds to sow ;)

TGIF

Plants have been outside since Tuesday morning getting full sun till about 1pm. They all are doing well and with the forecasted overnight lows of 46 for one out of the next 10 days....I might start transplanting some into their permanent homes. I may let some of the smaller, later starts wait another week or two.

tctenten said:
I am going to try again.  Last year i got 3 pods that didn't even ripen before they ran out of time.  This year I have some good advice and I hope that will do it for me.  

If you do grow Pubes again this year, do you have a place to over-winter them? This far north, depending on variety, they sometimes need 2 seasons to get mature enough to produce ripe pods.

tctenten said:
TGIF

Plants have been outside since Tuesday morning getting full sun till about 1pm. They all are doing well and with the forecasted overnight lows of 46 for one out of the next 10 days....I might start transplanting some into their permanent homes. I may let some of the smaller, later starts wait another week or two.

Have you thought of using black plastic mulch and using the sun to heat the soil you have your Chiles planted in? It also works well for the other Nightshades, Cucurbits and Okra. I've heard that Okra is an excellent companion planting with Chiles because the roots don't interfere with each other and the Okra provides partial shade for the chiles during the hottest part of the year. Personally, I like companion planting with Basil because it calls in the Friendly insects like Ladybugs and Lacewings to groom the plants for Aphids.

stickman said:
If you do grow Pubes again this year, do you have a place to over-winter them? This far north, depending on variety, they sometimes need 2 seasons to get mature enough to produce ripe pods.

Have you thought of using black plastic mulch and using the sun to heat the soil you have your Chiles planted in? It also works well for the other Nightshades, Cucurbits and Okra. I've heard that Okra is an excellent companion planting with Chiles because the roots don't interfere with each other and the Okra provides partial shade for the chiles during the hottest part of the year. Personally, I like companion planting with Basil because it calls in the Friendly insects like Ladybugs and Lacewings to groom the plants for Aphids.
Maybe I will give that a try this year. I decided to put a few plants in the ground.

Yellow Manzano, Rocapica, and PI355812 are out in the elements now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back