spirits Tequila

what gets me about tequila is all the different shapes and colors of the bottles...there is one that is "X" shaped and blue on the above link and I think I am going to have to get that one...

bentalphanerd said:
in my day it was all about the worm....do they still do that?

The worms are in Mezcal not tequila. I seen a bottle with two worm and a fly in it.:oops:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezcal
The "worm" (sometimes more than one) commonly seen in bottles of mezcal is actually the larva of one of two kinds of insects. The most common type is that of the agave snout weevil. [1] [2] The "red worm" or gusano rojo is the caterpillar of the Hypopta agavis moth, one of the several kinds of "maguey worm", found on the agave plant. The originator of this practice was a man named Jacobo Lozano Páez. In 1940, while tasting prepared agave, he and his partner found that the worm changed the taste of the agave.[citations needed][dubious – discuss] (Agave worms are sometimes found in the piña after harvesting). Many brands contain such worms. Some are named after the worm itself, as in Gusano Rojo and some are even named for the number of worms, e.g. Dos Gusanos, "Two Worms".

When a worm is included, the mezcal is known as con gusano ("with worm"). Aside from its consumption with mezcal, the maguey worm is considered a delicacy in Mexico and can be found on some restaurant menus.

The use of the worm is exclusive to mezcal, since the Mexican standards authority, Norma Oficial Mexicana (NOM), prohibits adding insects or larvae to tequila.

that just looks expensive Potawie

you got me gigglin' bent...same here every time before I take a shot...smell it...shudder and shake...then hit it...

stillmanz said:
I love tequila ...thats shot 12 ...............OLAY

dang Stillz..it's got to be 2 am or 3 am where you are...you till shootin' tequila...

POTAWIE said:
For me tequila is absolutely one of the best and worst buzzes depending on whether the line gets crossed.:oops:

That's why I quit drinkin' it like it was water...didn't know when "enuf was enuf"...boy what hangovers...

stillmanz said:
So I have a new passion. Jose Cuervo Tequila.
OH GOD! Jose Cuervo! I can't even drink that stuff. It's so overtly sweet and disqusting.

My current bottle I'm hgoing through is Buscadores Tequila Anejo that I got from Joe and Linda...really good stuff. Infact, they are the resident Tequila experts around here.

stillmanz said:
17022008003.jpg
Who's the hippy in the hat tacking the pic? I can spot a stoner from a mile away. :lol:

I got my mojo workin' on a bottle of Cazadore's. Costco has a great price on that stuff. Tequila...it's not just for breakfast anymore.
Cheers, TB.

While not an expert in tequila (although it's true I've studied), I'll offer three good ones in each style:

1661.jpg

One of the best blancos available, it has really wonderful agave taste. I think I cried when I finished my last bottle of it...

241_0.jpg

Linda's fave tequila, and even as a reposado it tastes more aged than some of the finer anejo tequilas. Very affordable and easy to find in most places, we recommend it highly.

don_julio_0860_r2.jpg

Folks, this tequila is absolutely the shizznit. Even at a high price (about $95-125), it is worth every cent. It doesn't as much sit on your palate as melt into your tastebuds. Wonderful stuff.

Cheers!!

- Joe

I'm glad I'm a grown up now, and don't feel the need to prove I'm a hep cat by taking tequila shots or eating the worm.

Tequila...bleh!

I've grown up pam I just enjoy the messyness of it all.

Joe whats the blue bottle at the top I've seen that.

IGG the hippy in the hat was just somehippy in a hat Haggis had working in the bar, real nice guy but.
I don't mind the Cuervo I drank about third of a bottle last night with a half dozen beers and feel pretty good this morning. I like the Tequila buzz if I tried that on with Whiskey I'd be very ordinary this fine morning.

I never realised how many different companies there are I might start collecting a few nice ones.

Mick

for my money El Jimador is the best i have tasted i have done a direct comparison to others including Patron and i have to say much smother and better taste.

eljimador.gif

stillmanz said:
I've grown up pam I just enjoy the messyness of it all.

I'm a grown woman, and it took growing up to realize that the only person I had to impress was myself, and that I really did not enjoy drinking tequila. It's nasty and the hangovers where you keep burping it the next day are horrible.

Back