smokers THE AUSSIE BUILD A UGLY DRUM SMOKER SMACK DOWN! MOYBOYvsCHILLIMAN!

chilliman said:
Only real problem I have is, it is a sealed drum and I have to cut it out.

I was going to get an open one, but that fits too well ! If you look really close the rolled lip is snug inside lid.
Remember they have about 3 different sizes, and they look almost the same ! couple of MM in it !

I had a sealed drum for mine too, what I did was flip it over so the spouts are on the bottom then cut what was now the top off. I cut it an inch from the lip then I hammered the lip in and flattened it.
I picked up some tool box style clasps and welded them onto the lip and the drum and when I close them up, it seals in very well.

-Jake

yup we want pics..lol

another option to cut the drum is to....

lay the drum and its side... take a small grinder and start cutting as close as to the lip as you can get...most times you will have to deburr it, but it seems to work really well

Finally, here are the pictures of the latch system I used, works awesome!

-Jake
hinge1.jpg

hinge2.jpg

hinge3.jpg

Novacastrian said:
Moyboy FAIL. :lol:

thehotpepper.com said:
LOL big time.

Yes well life failed me at that point in time......

But i'm back in the swing of things now....I just have to find enough wood to give the drum a really good burn out, and i think I will burn it out under the cover of darkness....:lol:

moyboy said:
Yes well life failed me at that point in time......

But i'm back in the swing of things now....I just have to find enough wood to give the drum a really good burn out, and i think I will burn it out under the cover of darkness....:lol:

Come over to my workshop in Thornton mate, all the wood you could ever want, from old pallets.

moyboy said:
Hmmmmm, could be an idea.....I have to get a towbar on the SS first....:lol:

Just chuck it in the passenger compartments/boot, plenty of room :P What about borrowing the rents carriage??

Novacastrian said:
Come over to my workshop in Thornton mate, all the wood you could ever want, from old pallets.

best kind of wood to burn out a UDS...generally pallets are made of hardwood...nice hot fire...looking forward to some pix

moyboy, where are you on this UDS?

thehotpepper.com said:
moyboy, where are you on this UDS?

Well I have a 44 gallon drum sitting in the back yard and I have a weber kettle BBQ to pull apart and use the parts......

And that's about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to get myself going and do it, but there is always a million other things to get done at the moment and the drum sits low on the priority list... I'm going to a mates place in a week or 2 to make to ash and brickette tray....

If you're asking in regards to the throwndown then I respectfully step down as I don't see me finishing it for many weeks...

moyboy said:
Well I have a 44 gallon drum sitting in the back yard and I have a weber kettle BBQ to pull apart and use the parts......

And that's about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to get myself going and do it, but there is always a million other things to get done at the moment and the drum sits low on the priority list... I'm going to a mates place in a week or 2 to make to ash and brickette tray....

If you're asking in regards to the throwndown then I respectfully step down as I don't see me finishing it for many weeks...

like bbq...bbq making is sometimes low and slow as well:P

dont worry about rushing the UDS, be are just looking forward to pix whenever you get it done.

BamsBBQ said:
like bbq...bbq making is sometimes low and slow as well:P

dont worry about rushing the UDS, be are just looking forward to pix whenever you get it done.

Ill second that Moyboy, no rush mate.... :)

Novacastrian said:

Is the timber treated? and if should it be burned in something you want to do food in?

Back