• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Count's Drunken Adventures In The Kitchen

I know we already have the drunken chef thread, but I'm going to start this anyway.  Almost anytime I snap a picture in the kitchen whisky is involved.  Don't let the beers with the plated pics fool you, I just crack one open to drink while eating since hot straight bourbon doesn't taste good with food to me.  The rest of the night is all WHISKY!!!  t didn't even know I had taken most of the pics I'm going to upload initially.  They date back to October 2015 or so and I just found them while uploading pics from the camera of a recent off-roading trip.

So lets start with Drunken Chicken Lo Mein…...

Next up is BBQ chicken, oven roasted potatoes and Ranch Style canned beans.  

Tostados?  I seriously do not remember making or eating these!

He goes my Easy Beef Stir Fry.  It's super easy to make due to the frozen stir fry veggies and quick cooking ramen noodles.  Slicing the flank and giving it a quick marinade is the longest part.  Then I just stir fry the meat, remove; stir fry the veggies, remove, add meat and stir fry sauce for a minute and add veggies back for a minutes.  

And you know I was drunk because those thai pepper chunks were supposed to be a topping not boiled with the noodles  :rolleyes:

Alynne said:
Great looking dishes, Count! What beef do you use for the CFS?
Thank you.  And I usually use thin cut non-tenderized round steaks and tenderize them by hand, so as to not overdo it.  But here lately, and possibly those in the pic, I have been using very thin cut chuck steaks and tenderizing them by hand.  My wife seems to think they have more flavor than the round and are close in tenderness.

Smoked/Grilled drumettes with Defcon sauce are up first, with some oven roasted red potatoes.

Next up are smoked/grilled wings and drumettes with Doritos Taco flavor chips.  Some were coated in Defcon sauce and the others in a drunken concoction of a hot chili sauce.  

Nice job on the wangs ...

I wish I didn't hate maintaining the CI grate on my Akorn, else I'd also be using those grates on my Weber too ... so versatile! ...

They sit in my Save For Later on Amazon tempting me at all times, but sometimes I really feel like a slave to all the cooking metals here =( ...

grantmichaels said:
Nice job on the wangs ...

I wish I didn't hate maintaining the CI grate on my Akorn, else I'd also be using those grates on my Weber too ... so versatile! ...

They sit in my Save For Later on Amazon tempting me at all times, but sometimes I really feel like a slave to all the cooking metals here =( ...
I thought that the CI grate (from Amazon) would be tough to maintain, but it isn't.  When I got it, probably 4-5 years ago, I cooked a bunch of bacon on it to help season it.  The ONLY time I have EVER had it rust was when I decided it would be a good idea to put my CI griddle on top of it and make smash burgers outside (to avoid the inevitable smoke it makes in the house).  It obviously got too hot under the griddle and burned off the seasoning.  I reasoned it and haven't had it happen ever again.  

The only thing I do to maintain it is spray it with vegetable oil as soon as I close the grates, then brush it shortly before adding any food.  I close the vents and let the fire burn out quickly when done, since I use lump charcoal I can reuse what doesn't burn.

That's very similar to how I use the Akorn and it's grate, lump and all ...

It's probably the salty/humid air here, but I have to periodically oil mine or it rusts over time not being used ...

grantmichaels said:
That's very similar to how I use the Akorn and it's grate, lump and all ...

It's probably the salty/humid air here, but I have to periodically oil mine or it rusts over time not being used ...
I would bet it's a combo of that.  Our winters are so mild that I grill all year round.  I actually probably use it more during the "winter" than the later part of the summer, because it's just too damn hot to cook outside.  

I'd love to have an egg style cooker.  I have an offset smoker that works great for bigger jobs, but is kind of a waste to smoke food for two.  I figure with a small bag of cheap charcoal in a chimney, and a minimum of two splits of pecan or oak. it takes about 45min. to  bring it up to a stable temp. for smoking.  Unless I'm doing a full brisket, multiple chickens or a pork butt, the Weber is going to get used.  I bought a really nice one from a company called Tejas Smokers out of Houston, and lived close enough at the time for super cheap personal delivery.  But if I had it to do over again I'd buy a ceramic egg style smoker  :violin:

Beef and broccoli stir fry on jasmine rice.  I made this one weekend not long ago when the wife and kid were out of town and decided to stir fry sliced jalapeños with it.  BIG mistake.  400deg. cast iron with almost no cooking oil and fresh jalepenos = caps vapor engulfing half of our house.  I was drunk-ish so I broke out into sneezing and our Pomeranian dog started weezing for the next half hour.  Short of cooking up a batch of Reaper puree, it was the worst I've ever nuked our house.  

Back