• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Fire of Nil's Indoor Jungle

So, this year, for some reason I have this strange urge to grow more. This urge isn't limited to 1 or 2 new plants even though I live and grow in a small apartment, this is the type of urge that will make my soon to be wife question my sanity (not that she hasn't already). The following peppers will have some form of real estate in my apartment (the anuums will be outside to be fair, but that is 'cuz they like to be annuals anyways).

Unstable Hybrid (year 2 woo) ✓ 3 Gallon Soil
Peach Bhut ✓ 7 Gallon Soil
Tomato Pepper ✓ 3 Gallon Soil
Farmers Jalapeño ✓ Hydroponic, 2x 1 Gallon soil
Tekne Dolması ✓ 3 Gallon Soil, 1 Gallon soil
Costa Rican Yellow ✓ 7 Gallon Soil
Chocolate Brain Strain ✓ Hydroponic
7 Pot Jonah ✓ Hydroponic, 3x 3 Gallon soil
Peach Ghost Scorpion ✓ Hydroponic
CGN 22091 ✓ Hydroponic
Aji Dulce ✓ Hydroponic
Fatalii ✓ 7 Gallon Soil, 2x 1 Gallon soil
Infinity ✓ Hydroponic
Poblano
SB7J ✓ Hydroponic

And a lot of other plants outside I never was able to find homes for... total of 29 plants...

Of course I will update with pictures as the time passes.

So was gone for a second there - very busy with work.

I did move out all my soil based plants outside because the grow tent was getting a tad too crowded for ease of use. Now only my hydro are in there and I moved the pump inside the tent too and moved the fans to have a bit more complete circulation. I also moved the LED light to about as high as it can go - as the plants are catching it pretty fast.

gallery_11225_192_260341.jpg

First pod - an overall ugly Fatalii plant - fruited when it's cold and wet outside but he don't care.
The Fatalii's are still all growing like this but have been the fastest to mature.

Meanwhile in the grow tent I have identified a problem - it seems 12:12 day night ratio was too much light still. I attribute this to the low lumen bulb I keep on for night time time lapsing. I have since reduced the ratio from 12:12 to 10:14 day night light cycle and have had several more flowers set with some peduncles on the Infinity thickening.

I love to smoke me some peppers!!

That tent sure looks a lot less 'filled' without the carbon scrubber and 8" vent duct slinking around the roof.

Do you vent out hot air, or is the LED cool enough without? I run a 600watt hps and I use an 8" inline fan, which I run at about 50% speed (but it's a very beefy fan).

The LED is cool enough that night time temps are 75-80 and daytime temps are 90-95

I do have 5 fans and leave the tent slightly open which is enough to keep at 40-50% humidity.

Since for me its only 12 hours of lights on, I run it starting at 8:30pm and draw in the night air. Average running temp with light on is about 77. Of course, during our day it's night time for the plants and it only gets down to about 75 lol. not much of a temp swing in my tent. The hottest it got this entire season has been 84 degrees, but since I grow in my garage I will need to stop tent growing for the summer months. Once the AC in the house kicks in, I can't afford the electricity to run the lights and fans along with the house AC. I just keep mothers alive and wait for Fall.

During the Spring and Summer time I use the veg area to germ pepper plants to play with in the mean time :)

This year, it's the color Purple

I have begun having to trim the hydro peppers, I smell a large pruning in their future followed by minimum nitrogen. make fruit my babies!

I think I am getting a good idea of my top producing cultivar this year. I have 2 Fataliis in 1 gallon soil containers with about 10 pods between them. The larger plant in the 3 gallon container seems to be ready to put on fruit now. All the other chinense cultivars are lagging behind them. The Costa Rican Yellow put on one flower and no more since - and the Anuums are blooming like crazy with only Tomato and Farmer's Jalapeno setting fruit so far, though the Tekne Dolmasi plants are catching up.
Hydro update tonight or tomorrow. 

Jerad! Your hydro grow is really rockin' along!

I'm always impressed by the systems you
hydro growers post on the forum...

PaulG said:
Jerad! Your hydro grow is really rockin' along!

I'm always impressed by the systems you
hydro growers post on the forum...

Thank you Paul :)

It's a fun challenge but I can't wait for the yield.

So I am still growing however, my hydro had a turn for the worse and has not been producing, it was a good experience and I'm shocked at some results I had with it. Having learned many things, I will approach it differently next year.
In other news my balcony is loaded with pods so the years crop is still looking to be fantastic, had my first ripe pod that I shared with my wife raw. A yellow fatalii with a very mild sweet flavor that only lasted a moment and had a surprisingly aggressive burn that lasted about 20 minutes. No real floral taste or citrus taste either - in fact not much of an after taste at all, just slight sweetness then heat.
I will say I enjoyed it much more than a standard habanero, and it certainly packed more heat than a store bought hab.
My real supers are setting several pods now too, which I am super excited for. Some should be ~2 weeks from ripening.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The following are from seeds from the same pod - both 7 pot Jonah's. But one of these pods are in disguise it seems.

The first few look the same as the parent pod. With the only exception being that the skin is far less smooth then the 7pj parent pod.
f73c9ee06f12c42a9ea5206541699e0d.jpg

Then there is this one on a plant from the same pod. Developing spines and perfect form for a butch T I think.
36ad39623ece0dfcced680506090b702.jpg

The rest of the pods on the second plant are looking like normal Jonah's though.

Back