• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

Welcome dude. for aphids - get a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid per litre of water, and spray the hell out of your plants top and bottom of leaves. Repeat 2-3 days later, and then one more time. And they'll be gone. It works really well for aphids. Also watch out for Psyllids - a couple of us have been hit especially hard this year, and they fully kill your plants dude, there is no going back from those.

By the way - I think I'll speak for most of us when I would advise you against buying seeds off Trademe, a lot are duds and/or have been harvested from pods that werent isolated. Instead ask here what you're after - most of us have shitloads of seeds purchased directly from pepperlover and other reputable sources.

And one last thing - I currently have too many seedlings that germinated for my winter grow so let me know if you want a couple: Devil's heart - directly from pepperlover seeds, and peach 7 Pod - also from pepper lover. Links below:

http://www.pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/heal-leve/world-hottest/devil-s-heart-pl-detail
http://www.pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/heal-leve/world-hottest/peach-7-pod-pl-detail

If you want a couple let me know - I'm out Takanini so if you're keen you can either pop over sometime and grab them, or if I'm around for work in your area I can drop them off.

Hey, cheers that'd be great! I live on the shore, but work in the city near Vic Park - otherwise I head out South every other week.

Yeah I was a bit sceptical of the seeds, got them from this trader - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=484391
Have had a few jalapenos, but they've all tasted very mild (think capsicums) so far.

Will give the dish liquid a go. Put out some icing sugar & baking soda paste for the ants tonight. Theyre all getting into it now, so will see if that deals to them. If not Ill just buy some ant killer.

Oh sweet sounds good. I'm in town relatively often so will give yo a yell when I'm in that area and will bring a few seedlings with me.

Yeah you gotta get rid of the ants at the same time for sure.

Just had a quick tally up of my pod weights.

(2)Dorset Nagas    = 8.281 Kg
(3)Reapers            = 3.041 Kg
(1)Scorpion            = 7.513 Kg
(2)Choc Bhuts        = 2.764 Kg

Total  =                     21.599 Kg

Plants are still loaded so I am expecting at least another 10 Kg to come

DzigNZ said:
I've been lurking these forums for a while now, so figured I'd finally sign up and say hi :)

First time growing chillis (growing anything actually, unless you count the venus fly trap I had as a kid but that died after I fed it sprayed flies)

Currently have these plants in my little green house, grown from seed purchased on TradeMe. Left it a little late in the season I think - seeds only germinated in the first week of Dec.

4 trinidad scorpions
9 bhut jolokias
8 jalapenos
5 birds eye

Photo from a couple of weeks ago - the scorpions have been planted in the grey tubs and have taken off, probably twice the size now, and loaded with flowers. Will update this post with a newer photo later today.
Edit: Ok, new pic from this afternoon
10987464_10153799284274832_9095488240808864740_n.jpg

Discovered ants farming aphids on the smaller of my scorpion plants yesterday. @#$%

11084619_789461604455677_1095316865_n.jpg

Anyway, hi! I'm sure I'll pester you with some stupid questions at some point :)
Welcome to the addiction! Gotta love all those little critters that make growing chilli such a challenge...believe me..aphids are the easiest to deal with!

By the way, how long have you had the greenhouse for? I had one which destroyed itself back in early June last year when we had all the rain and wind in Auckland.

Iv also got a bunch a of plants I'd be happy to give away. IV got maybe 20 or so that have just started podding and I'm not going to have room for them over winter...most will probably be left to fend for themselves when I gets cold so better if I give them away . Currently in Malaysia back in a couple weeks if you want some more bigger plants..well assuming anything is still alive when I get home

Rush35 said:
Welcome to the addiction! Gotta love all those little critters that make growing chilli such a challenge...believe me..aphids are the easiest to deal with!

By the way, how long have you had the greenhouse for? I had one which destroyed itself back in early June last year when we had all the rain and wind in Auckland.
Only had it a month or so. I think next time around I'll just make it out of PVC fittings and pipe, and cover with polythene.

I dont think much would have survived that wind... the garden shed I park my bike in certainly didnt! Thankfully the shed went straight back and missed the (2 week old) bike completely

1971360_1488843364698275_1322221788_n.jpg

Swampy_NZ said:
Just had a quick tally up of my pod weights.

(2)Dorset Nagas    = 8.281 Kg
(3)Reapers            = 3.041 Kg
(1)Scorpion            = 7.513 Kg
(2)Choc Bhuts        = 2.764 Kg

Total  =                     21.599 Kg

Plants are still loaded so I am expecting at least another 10 Kg to come
Insane...
What do you do with them all?

DzigNZ said:
Only had it a month or so. I think next time around I'll just make it out of PVC fittings and pipe, and cover with polythene.

I dont think much would have survived that wind... the garden shed I park my bike in certainly didnt! Thankfully the shed went straight back and missed the (2 week old) bike completely

1971360_1488843364698275_1322221788_n.jpg
My greenhouse gathered rain on the roof making a lovely pool and with the wind it was then demolished overnight. Bought a polycarbonate greenhouse and it has survived everything the weather has thrown at it since then....
Swampy_NZ said:
They go into the freezer and I have given some away and am trying out different sauces
Exactly what i do as well!

SentencedToBurn said:
Also watch out for Psyllids - a couple of us have been hit especially hard this year, and they fully kill your plants dude, there is no going back from those.

Thought I'd managed to avoid these, but have noticed a few on the outside of the greenhouse door over the weekend.
Checked all my plants inside and found one plant had a couple of leaves covered in this stuff... guessing its from them?

jizwdp23.zvm.jpg

Nope that isnt psyllids - they are much bigger, you can see individual ones. This is something else. My suggestion is to post it in the main thread under "Growing hot peppers" and just post that pic there. Someone will definitely reply with the right answer.

Unless someone on here knows?

DzigNZ said:

Thought I'd managed to avoid these, but have noticed a few on the outside of the greenhouse door over the weekend.
Checked all my plants inside and found one plant had a couple of leaves covered in this stuff... guessing its from them?

jizwdp23.zvm.jpg
That looks like Edema.Nothing really to worry about.It happens when the plants are getting to much water and cant use it so the cells in the leaves burst.More circulation and less watering will sort it.

Cheers, bit of a relief :)

Circulation is definitely becoming a problem, but I've ordered another cheap ($80) 3mx2m polyethylene green house so should give some more space.

Getting cold now.Plants are doing their final thing.
Doing a bit of an experiment with some Reapers with 4 different potting mixes.

1: Daltons potting mix 
2: Daltons potting mix + Yates dynamic lifter pellets
3: Daltons Organic compost
4: Daltons Organic compost + dynamic lifter pellets

Will be interesting to see how they go overwinter under lights.  :)

BigJim

Plants doing their last dash

Under lights

Hi, I'm new to this group and thought I'd jump right in and say hello to all of you fellow NZers. I was told about this forum by a person from a Facebook gardening group. Here is a bit of background information about myself. I'm in Auckland. I'm fairly new to growing chillis. This is my second year. So the plants I had in my garden over the summer were probably not that exotic by comparison to what everyone else had. I grew the following varieties: Cayenne, Italian Bull's Horn, Anaheim and Jamaican Gold (the latter was kindly given to me by the person who referred me here). I also grew some sweet chillis. Basically, I'm keen to chat with others who are passionate chilli growers and learn about different varieties. Look forward to getting to know you all better. 

nzchilligirl said:
Hi, I'm new to this group and thought I'd jump right in and say hello to all of you fellow NZers. I was told about this forum by a person from a Facebook gardening group. Here is a bit of background information about myself. I'm in Auckland. I'm fairly new to growing chillis. This is my second year. So the plants I had in my garden over the summer were probably not that exotic by comparison to what everyone else had. I grew the following varieties: Cayenne, Italian Bull's Horn, Anaheim and Jamaican Gold (the latter was kindly given to me by the person who referred me here). I also grew some sweet chillis. Basically, I'm keen to chat with others who are passionate chilli growers and learn about different varieties. Look forward to getting to know you all better. 
Welcome.You will find all the info you will ever want here plus many kiwis willing to donate seeds if you want them.  :)

nzchilligirl said:
Welcome!
I am also in Auckland as are a couple of other regulars. Let us know if you need any help getting going.

Thanks very much for welcoming me into the group. On the subject of sourcing seeds, I noticed from previous posts that the rules relating to importing seed are becoming tighter and it is becoming increasingly difficult to purchase seed from outside the country.  On this point, in the vege growers group on FB that I belong to, a lady had a terrible experience which instilled great fear into those who ordered, or like me were thinking of ordering, seed from abroad. She had apparently ordered some gourd and another Asian vegetable from Asia (I think it might have been Thailand).  She received the seeds and as they were not intercepted at the border, did not think anything of it anymore.  Then a couple of days later, she said that she was visited by a MAF inspector who then seized the seeds and also demanded to inspect her garden for other items. She felt really shaken by the experience and incredibly guilty.  I don't think she was making it up. This kind of scenario frightened me and made me reluctant to order from overseas companies. At the moment I can trace or legitimately account for everything I've grown so I have no reason to fear being audited by MAF.

I have made an effort to save some seed from the best chilli from each plant (and other veggies from the garden for that matter) and am happy to share them with people in the group.  

In terms of sourcing seed for exotic items, where is the best place to start?

I will keep an eye on Trade Me (though I must admit I'm not such a fan). I've also purchased seed from Kings Seeds and was happy with the quality. Egmont and Franchi are also good.

Any thoughts? 

nzchilligirl said:
Hey dude welcome glad you managed to register ok - by the way Swampy_NZ is Darin off vege growers group.

Back