• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

I'm trying to coax a cracker crust recipe from someone elsewhere on the net, to bring it around for TB - after seeing it get refined over the past month ...

I suspect it's coming Monday, after they use it for their Sunday ritual ...

There's Middle Eastern places here that make "pitzas," pizza on the dough they use to make fresh pitas but larger. They taste like a cracker crust, they crunch and are airy with two dominating "cracker" layers and not much in between but air, and a few soft areas. So I am thinking find a pita recipe and cook longer than a normal pita (until pitza is done) and you have a cracker crust variation. Just a thought. It's very good anyway, even if it's not a true cracker.

Meh.
I lost some shots for idiocy (double idiocy: cut & paste is nonsense while tranferring files to different filesystems).
I had a really nice pizza with: passata, tuna, anchovies, capers, olives, mozz, grana, asiago, gorgonzola, pepperoni, yellow bell pepper.
And was really good, maybe the best of all.

I tried another method that consists to mix water, yeast and salt at start, knead for 15 mins, wait 3-5 mins, form balls, then wait for 8 hours. Fast. I waited 9 hours but on a colder room.
Maybe because it's cold and i cooked outside, the oven undereperfomed, i cooked pizzas with 1 or more mins longer than usual, that it's the worst thing possible.
I just must invest that nearly 400€ on a p134h and live happy. 

Here one:
i5vjrdzyZiMYo.jpg

Passata., pepperoni, fatalii powder. Mozz put after 3 mins. Grated pecorino romano after cooking. Way undercooked, but putting mozz after some time has been a good idea, border is higher and mozz tastes better. Need to tune that.

iVKkwrLP4yOhL.jpg

ikNVrDCcft6Iv.jpg

Passata, fatalii, tuna, stracchino, olives, red onion (marinated in evo, salt and bp). And a mashed garlic clove (hell yeah!).
No mozz since i had no more, stracchino has been a really good choice here.

iErQ7j7bz7Xtd.jpg

iiWfrOinBZ6He.jpg

Finisher pizza: passata, asiago, gorgonzola, olives, bell pepper, stracchino, a mashed garlic clove. After cooking grated pecorino romano and douglah powder.

Last one:
i8cQTRMwNR8qq.jpg

ibuUwyOs3Q5TPA.jpg

After 11:30 h it was still a joy to stretch... Maybe merit of the method of kneading and forming balls.

Just tomato, evo after cooking and oregano:
igV9WN28m4Zk5.jpg

ibjSjpMV8dVfSv.jpg

Not a perfect round because i failed something when i put pizza on oven.

Hey I had Slovenian wine yesterday! Pullus. Very nice!

The Hot Pepper said:
Hey I had Slovenian wine yesterday! Pullus. Very nice!

yeah, there are some good local wines ... I like the red ones especially... the ones from the area that has already mediterranean influence ... you should try Teran (terrano) or Refošk (refosco), with some local wind dried meat like prosciutto .. it's a feast .. ask Essegi, I'm sure he has tried it :) ... Pullus is this commercial brand .. well, it's good anyway

hello all.
This summer( here in Brazil) I had a great experience with pizza make, my fist time using a firewood ove, and i need to say is outstanding.
In my pizza advetures i make alot of diferents doughs, diferents rest time, 2 hours, 24, 48, 72 hours, and have really good results, but with my new experince in firewood oven, for me the great diference in a good pizza to a excellent pizza is in the quality of the oven.
the dough come out very crunch withou stay dry, and not to hard.

i didnt use 100% of the fireoven "power" because i use roaster.
So i need to tell, those who like make pizza, need one day test a firewood oven!

Back