• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

If Bin Laden were TB, we would have drawn him from his cave years ago.

With RANCH DRESSING.

Good looking pie, Badger.

Pizza tonight, margherita x 2, one with penos, and a sweet chilli prawn

Attachments

• SDC11651.JPG
    SDC11651.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 61
  • SDC11658.JPG
    SDC11658.JPG
    345 KB · Views: 62
  • SDC11663.JPG
    SDC11663.JPG
    348.6 KB · Views: 61
Quick shot for this afternoons pies.

9f6dc765f213c914addcf2a96664ea02.png

e04ecc7b09a66daa10b2fde9f1c4bf49.png

ed4747262e967f7672eaf9c8af997a98.png

Hit 630F stone temp today. Getting close to a 5 minute bake time.
Going to pick up a klin shelf in a few weeks...should jump it up to the next level :high:

-Peter

Where's the heat? Booo this is the Cooking With Fire section. Technique looks good now make a fiery pie.

Booma got the jalapenos. Nice.

b2b,,i posted this this morning but im not sure? guess i never hit post? anyways that is the finest pie i have seen ever posted in this forum! side note : since thp,said something about the heat? lets see that pie with some burn on it.

Attempted thai peanut chicken pizza...and I got a load of peppers in the mail this week thanks to Spankyscolts

Crust:
233g water
5g honey
5g salt
15g extra virgin olive oil
10 activedry yeast
236g King Arthur bread flour
236g King Arthur AP flour

rest/rise ~18hrs

Thats it for recipes but assembly...

Chili sauce made with 5 lemon ajis, peanut sauce made with ummm bhut jolokia I think just a couple of em

Marinaded the chicken thighs over night and threw em on the grill after work see...
IMAG0594.jpg

Ok so actual assembly,
stretch the dough
base of the chili sauce
drip the peanut sauce around
bean sprouts, carrots...
some Bonda Ma Jaques (8)
mozz cheese
Chicken
little more cheese
fresh basil

Check it,,,
IMAG0598.jpg

500F oven preheated...
10 minutes later
IMAG0600.jpg

dress with fresh cilantro and eat
IMAG0603.jpg

woukd have been awesome if toppings was stretched more to the outs!

still looks good,just dont like all that naked crust

Looking good Grant...airy/pillow soft :P

b2b,,i posted this this morning but im not sure? guess i never hit post? anyways that is the finest pie i have seen ever posted in this forum! side note : since thp,said something about the heat? lets see that pie with some burn on it.
Best pie I've made...Next batch will be for my personal consumption only :fireball:

Thanks for the tips ... D didn't use a rolling pin, either ... I guess it's better for air retention ... along w/ the higher temp, was good!

CR - we're using a $15 grocery aisle stone for the past week, having decommissioned the CI pan until I am motivated to restore it ... which I will, soon, be, I hope.

CR - we're using a $15 grocery aisle stone for the past week, having decommissioned the CI pan until I am motivated to restore it ... which I will, soon, be, I hope.
That's what I've been using for years.. Cheapo stone. I think the one I'm using currently came from biglots for $10.
We've also got two 8" stones scored at a garage sale.

Well here was yesterdays lunch:
IMG_8337.jpg

IMG_8344.jpg

IMG_8342.jpg

And here was dinner:
I tried as B2B suggested and put the stones on top rack and hit the broiler while cooking.
IMG_8371.jpg

IMG_8375.jpg

IMG_8376.jpg

Looks really burnt, but that's just cosmetic.
It came out perfect. Both pies had approx 1/4 tsp of bhut powder in the sauce.
I did however run out of cheese on the second pie, so I had to reduce the size of the pizza.
I made bread sticks with the remaining dough.
Nothing wasted, everything tasted.
IMG_8379.jpg

That's all for now from RoninKitchen...

Serrano pizza.

Onions carmelizing
IMAG0665.jpg

Other ingreedients: 5 fresh Serranos in a brief soak of vinagar and salt for flavor, Roma tomatoes, ham and bacon.
IMAG0666.jpg

Assembled and ready to go in the oven (the wife's cheese and tomato pizza is on the left).

IMAG0667.jpg

Done cooking
IMAG0668.jpg

Not too hot but it did have a littel kick, just enough heat to know there was something spicier than jalapenos on the pizza. Of all the flavors, the carmelized onion and vinegar soaked serranos came through the most. I'll definately do this one again.

Ok, ok. I have come here for help. Whats the secret for you guys getting the ultra thin crust? Mine never come out thin enough. Its always more a thick thin.

Whats a good thin dough recipe?

Ok, ok. I have come here for help. Whats the secret for you guys getting the ultra thin crust? Mine never come out thin enough. Its always more a thick thin.

Whats a good thin dough recipe?

If I told you the secret to thin crust it wouldn't be a secret...
Just kidding...
I've been using B2B's dough recipe lately with incredible results. (Posted earlier in this thread)
My technique would be old school east coast pizzeria style.
Stretch dough on flat surface flipping over every few stretches..
Once it's about 10-12" in diameter I do the draping the dough over my fists stretch.
Work your way around the perimeter to maintain an even circle and consistent thickness.
Then comes the toss.
Practice, practice, practice... Which in this case is never a bad thing..

Back