• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Heaven....
Naples just went on my bucket list.

bit out of order, organized by pizzeria/travel log later ;)

-Peter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 66
The pizza looks awesome! But it's kinda strange it's not cut into slices. Is that an American thing?

Lombardi's and John's here are close to that. And a few joints by me. But I would love to do a taste test!

I can't wait to hear your report when you get back. And to see your new pies from what you learned!

Gettin' down brown on pizza never looked so good.

The crust on that last pizza looked really light, as in airy light, but looked to also have a nice chew to it.

Nice Jammin' TB! Been waiting for that for quite awhile!!!!!!!

I just made some pizzer dō, but left out the 'vital wheat gluten', which I was told helps to make it thin & crispy.

I was inspired by that poofy, light & airy Naples dough! I WANT that!
Lord knows what I'll end up with - but it's just fun to play with dough.
I blame the PlayDo of the 70s..........

(who is remembering that smell right now????!!!!!)

The pizza looks awesome! But it's kinda strange it's not cut into slices. Is that an American thing?
I can't wait to hear your report when you get back. And to see your new pies from what you learned!
Yeah knife and fork or folded into a wallet (street food), never sliced. I need the buy/build an oven to get any where close... the key is bake time.

I just made some pizzer dō, but left out the 'vital wheat gluten', which I was told helps to make it thin & crispy.
I was inspired by that poofy, light & airy Naples dough! I WANT that!
Lord knows what I'll end up with - but it's just fun to play with dough.
Neo pies use low protein(gluten) 00 caputo + 60-90 second bake times...keeping the pies very tender.
The crust on that last pizza looked really light, as in airy light, but looked to also have a nice chew to it.
It was like cuting into a cloud. It is our favroite so far made by maestro pizzaiuolo Ciro Salvo at Masse pizzeria. http://pizzanapoleta...-of-ciro-salvo/
YOu can blow this thread up after this. Nothing will ever top it.
Pretty much...our taste buds have been spoiled. Nothing compares. time to start saving for an oven ;) http://www.fornobravo.com/store/

-Peter
Da Attilio pizzeria, three generations of pizzaioli.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 56
Yeah knife and fork or folded into a wallet (street food), never sliced.

Into a wallet huh? Kinda like how they fold a traditional crepe? I like my slices! LOL. Fork knife... plah!

Example of a wallet/booklet
portafoglio-napoletano-o-libretto-napoletano-neapolitan-wallet-or-neapolitan-booklet-1.jpg
(not my photo)
last night in Napoli...back to London with family till the end of January. Should have time to hunt down the few VPN certified pizzerias in London.

22 pizzas at 12 prominent pizzerias in 6 days with around 65 miles walked. Along with 4 excellent free concerts, in front row seats. Perfect trip without any schedule :)
-Peter
Final pizzas: Margarita and Margarita con Melanzane(eggplant) at Di Matteo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 55
Yup. Like a crepe. I never knew that. I'm all about hand food but that's a little too far.

I'll take my slice, and do the "fold" where it's still not a complete fold where everything melds together. It's more of a loose fold. But folding the pie?

Example of a wallet/booklet
portafoglio-napoletano-o-libretto-napoletano-neapolitan-wallet-or-neapolitan-booklet-1.jpg
(
(not my photo)

Lovin' the pies but not the pizza crepes.

Crepes:

crepes.jpg

Again, awesome lookin pics.

My san marzano tomatoes are growing right now, start making a nice sauce from scratch, need to find some soft soft mozzarella and where almost set.

Being using a new dough recipe. Amazing!!

Booma - I'm almost surprised you aren't making your own mozzarella!!!! I'm sure you've got the talent for it! You're a kitchen wizard! :)

Since it is National Pizza Week here in the U.S. I thought I would make a couple. And before anyone sites rule #27-A, no I did not make the dough. These are Freschetta Artisan Pizza Shells. Everything else is mine though.

Pizza #1

Romano Alfredo sauce, mozzarella cheese, baby spinach, sliced grape tomatoes, sliced jalapenos, cremini mushrooms sauteed in garlic butter, grilled Italian chicken slices, pecorino romano cheese, drizzled garlic butter.

100_1138.JPG

100_1140.JPG

100_1141.JPG

Pizza #2

Marinara sauce, mozzarella, provolone, and cheddar cheeses, sweet Italian sausage, pepperoni, Pecorino Romano, oregano.

100_1137.JPG

100_1139.JPG

100_1143.JPG

Finished pics coming after it is cooked and eaten...

With the throwdown and all I didn't feel like messin' with dough today so I used a shortcut. I do recommend those Freschetta shells if anyone cares. They are the best ones I have found yet.

Are pizza shells like taco shells?? :lol:

I was going to comment on how non-amoeba they were but now I see why. :lol:

Lookin' tasty.

pie be looking good. someone makes a gluten free crust that comes in boxes and there square. best premaid crust ive ever had.

Back