• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got plenty of fresh Shado Beni ready for this TD!

Attachments

• 20160502_192658.jpg
    20160502_192658.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 48
That shit started a family feud. 

My mother-in-law was following a recipe that called for CILANTRO...but she bought that stuff. 
And the recipe didn't quite taste right. 

I said, "you know, you bought CULANTRO"

She insisted I was being an asshole and making a word up. 

I was right. 
Part of her still hates me.
Thanks, internet. 

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I mainly cook Peruvian food with it, like ceviche, and seco de cordero, among others, but it is a staple in Caribbean dishes. I plan to put it to good use on this TD.

salsalady said:
You cook ceviche with culantro? Interesting....
;)

Always! Aji Limo, culantro, red onions, fish, salt, and lime juice. The citrus does all the cooking of course.
well,... and now we can totally derail the thread with a discussion of whether or not curing raw meats and vegetables in citrus juices constitutes COOKING...which generally involves the addition of HEAT to whatever~~~ 
edit-cross posting with GM~  :lol: 

salsalady said:

well,... and now we can totally derail the thread with a discussion of whether or not curing raw meats and vegetables in citrus juices constitutes COOKING...which generally involves the addition of HEAT to whatever~~~ 

edit-cross posting with GM~  :lol: 
I'll admit, cooking wasn't the best word to use there, lol! I do use the term "cooked" when serving ceviche to people who refuse eat anything "raw". Now, back to the TD!

A thought.... for anyone interested.... and yes, I've certainly done this "no no" myself, on more than one occasion. And some will disagree that it's a no-no at all. Whatev. My own no-no was using ostrich in the non-beef burger TD and caring about the outcome. The thing is that most people in the U.S. (and many other countries) have never even heard of ostrich burgers, let alone tried one. (Ostrich is pretty awesome, btw.) Since no one actually gets to eat all of the entries, at some level it becomes a contest of imagination - how do we imagine it tastes, or how do we imagine the ingredients go together? If one has never tried an ingredient, such as ostrich, one cannot truly imagine what it would taste like. If one cannot imagine what something will taste like, they may revert to appearances, or just not vote for said thing at all. My perspective has changed - I love the challenge of coming up with new ways to do things or trying dishes/ingredients I've never made/used before, but I am cool with it if I get no votes at all. I would do ostrich burgers again in a heartbeat, if I had an easier, less-expensive means of obtaining ostrich. (A five-pound minimum was the least I could find, and when there is only one person eating, five pounds is a lot.) 

So culantro.... I've heard of it. But if I've ever tasted it, I couldn't say - it might have been in a dish ordered at a restaurant. What I do know is I can't buy it at any of the local grocery stores where I currently live, in the midwest U.S. And I haven't seen it when out shopping at garden centers for herbs to grow in this area. Funny thing is I happened to be looking into it, to possibly order it online, very recently. A description I found was that it's like cilantro on steroids - much stronger-tasting but very similar flavors. So, in theory, you could use just a smaller amount of culantro and achieve almost the same flavor. Yes? No? But I am just one person; my own experience with culantro (or lack thereof) is not an indicator of everyone else who participates in the TD's. However, I can see that culantro might be a mystery ingredient in some people's minds, much like ostrich was.  But I am not saying to not use it. Au contraire. Any time you get to eat what you like is a good time and a winner in my book. 

Cooking... heat.... ceviche... all that goes in the same place as "blackening" in my book - y'all can have your take on it, but I'll keep mine, thank-you-very-much! LOL

I'll admit, cooking wasn't the best word to use there, lol! I do use the term "cooked" when serving ceviche to people who refuse eat anything "raw". Now, back to the TD!
It's all good, ~green monster~, I was kinda poking fun and I understand why you use the verbage for folks not wanting to eat "RAW SEAFOOD?!?!???"  :eek:  :lol:

I was just stirring th pot, so don't mind me!  :D

geeme, I hear ya.  There are so many things I've never tried, and so many that I've had the courage to try because of THP and especially TD's!  If it gets someone over their fears to try something new and different, that's a good thing.   :cool:

Some people plan strategically, others want to try new things, others post what their family wants to eat, it's ALL good! Best part is the Caribbean is fusion, it fuses native cuisine with Indian, Spanish, Chinese, Creole (Kreyol), Dutch, and more! From colonization or migrant workers, it's a melting pot of awesome food.

Friday is Caribbean!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back