• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, since i am a lazy guy could i avoid to form patties and use grinded meat only? It would be kept together with cheese. Composite!

Essegi said:
Hey, since i am a lazy guy could i avoid to form patties and use grinded meat only? I would be kept together with cheese. Composite!

That would be known here in the USA as "loose meat" style sandwich commonly known as Made-Rite sandwich.

Most burger enthusiasts and experts recognize it as a legitimat midwest regional style of hamburger.

Others claim that as it is not a true patty form and thusly not a for true according to hoyle, real hamburger.

I myself would include it but others might disagree.

Its all cool and the gang though.

Thanks TB for clarification, here where i live there isn't much burger culture (just to say i am ignorant myself in that).
I should just form patties btw, it would be easier to increase height of all (but that time i won't make something much high, more plain...).

Essegi said:
Thanks TB for clarification, here where i live there isn't much burger culture (just to say i am ignorant myself in that).
I should just form patties btw, it would be easier to increase height of all (but that time i won't make something much high, more plain...).

Essi this is how I do it.

I like small burgers so I'll take a loose meatball, usually with an ice cream scoop, of 2 ounces or less of meat.

I drop that right into a pan thats been pre heated to medium to high heat.

I season it right away with salt and after about 20 seconds I take a steel spatula and smash it down with a good amount of pressure to flatten it out.

After another 20 seconds or so I flip it and top it with cheese immediately or sometimes with no cheese. 

Total time to cook the burger is usually less than a minute and a half.

Often I'll place thin sliced onion atop the meat ball just before smashing the burger.

Plenty of pics of it over in the Burgers Hell Yeah thread.

But check this out first....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RykDiZnCKrA

Wow, sounds so good!!! I am making something completely different, but cooking is fine here (and i'm going to use oven so i must decide if cook burger on the pan, the rest on oven, then put together at the end or instead cook the burger on a pan, put together, then cook all in the oven)... I'm undecided for onion too (i love onions, but i want to use loads of cheese and maybe i prefer without, rare thing, i'll see).

I did oven burgers once. It was a get together of about 10 people and it was time to get the burgers goin. Well I had just a tad much to drink and didn't want to deal with patty-cake patty-cake. So I took the 4 lbs of ground beef and flattened it all out in a lasagna pan about 3/4" thick, S&P and in the oven.... 15 minutes later, cut the burgers square like brownies and served them up. Funny as hell and would have been a classic Drunken Chef post but alas... It was about 8 years ago. I can't say that I wouldn't not want to consider ever not ever maybe not doing it again possibly. But I might. :rofl:

I reckon that oven burgers would be alright. 

And this coming from a guy that mic'd frozen White Castle Sliders.

They weren't bad after I doctored 'em up a little bit.

I prefer burgers to be more like a slab o' steak - thick and juicy. Made from the right cut so they taste like steak, too. If you're going to go with a thin patty, IMO, you might as well get burgers out. Microwaved White Castle sliders……  :sick:

geeme said:
I prefer burgers to be more like a slab o' steak - thick and juicy. Made from the right cut so they taste like steak, too. If you're going to go with a thin patty, IMO, you might as well get burgers out. Microwaved White Castle sliders……  :sick:

Microwaved White Castle sliders have been banned from my home.  That's the one thing that can make me run to the bathroom and have a worse time than an overdose of the hottest peppers (recent survivor) or even extract.

Essegi said:
It's that weekend? I didn't care to check here and yesterday i bought some stuff and started a thing for td...

Sorry Essi.

One more week to go.

Its begins next friday.

Not tomorrow.

Always on the first friday of the new month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back