• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official TOMATO thread

Al-from-Chile said:
What's with the aluminum foil?

Need to know :D

Taking notes - keep us updated w/ pictures

sicman said:
i think that foil is because he grafted??   i could be very wrong :mope:
i air layered it.. its already rooting....its the best way to clone.. you get roots and growth (from the mother plant)
at the same time all i need to do is cut below it and voila.. 2 plants. =D

Ají hombre said:

Now I've just got to keep the rats and towhees from eating the entire crop...

yeah, especially the m.i.l., right? :D
KiNGDeNNiZ said:
the INDIGO i have doesnt seem to be true.. i scored these two at my local nursery

what makes you doubt? ... those look very indigo 

cheers,
Al

Al-from-Chile said:
yeah, especially the m.i.l., right? :D

what makes you doubt? ... those look very indigo 

cheers,
Al
the ones i grew from seed doesnt seem to be true..

THESE TWO.... the ones pictured are ones i got from the nursery

The last couple seasons I've just been growing Glacier tomatoes, an heirloom variety from Sweden .Ive already got a couple tiny fruits and between 2 plants they will continue to pump out 2-3 golf ball sized ripe fruits per week until October. That's all the maters I require, I save the rest of my space for peppers.

We've got 7 heirloom varieties growing in total, 2 for production and 5 to try new plants:

Moskovich (15 plants); very early, hardy plant, cold tolerant and heat resistant produces medium sized crack resistant fruit.
Brandywine (11 plants); mid to late season, potato leaf variety, large fruit with exceptional taste

Green Zebra (5 smaller plants); mid season, green/yellow stripped fruit with a tangy/sweet taste
2 plants each of the following:
Black Plum; mid season, dark skinned paste tomato with a smokey/rich flavour
Earl of Edgecombe; mid season, medium orange fruits with a sweet fruity taste and meaty texture
Pruden's Purple; mid season, large pink-ish fruit with exceptional taste and texture, favourite variety of last year.

Finally we have one "Heirloom Italian Paste" tomato, bought from some Mennonite farmers that sell at the local farmers market. A mid to late season, other then that I'll have to wait till the end of the year to describe them more.

Pics can be seen on our blog at www.gardengnosis.wordpress.com/

Monkey Hunter said:
Pics can be seen on our blog at www.gardengnosis.wordpress.com/

interesting blog - well worth a visit.

I assume you use the straw on the ground b/c its rather wet where you live ... what has been your experience with it? doesnt it allow for all kinds of  nasties to live in there?

(I am debating doing the same, I guess it cuts down weeds and such)

thx for sharing your thoughts
al

Monkey Hunter said:
Thanks for the compliments A-f-C, I don't want to hijack this thread with a discussion of straw though so I'll start another thread about straw as mulch.
ok - pls post a link to it :-)

I'm growing early strains that finish around 60 to 70 days.  Short growing season here and few different cherry types.  Growing some siberian strains also.

I've got San Marzano, Italian Ice, Tomatoberry, German Strawberry, 2 La Roma, 2 Yellow Pear, Red Pear, and Chocolate Cherry.

I finally got my other tomato plot planted yesterday (Happy Father's Day to me!). A lot of these are in my main plot too, but I essentially planted the best of what I had left and a few that I wanted to try for sure. My main plot uses concrete reinforcing wire cages, while this plot uses a Florida weave with 6 foot T Posts. Here's what I have in it, and some of them are multiples.

Cherokee Lime
Cherokee Green
Malachite Box (abbreviated spelling)
O'Sena Green
Grub's Mystery Green
Moldovan Green
Evergreen
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Golden Cherokee
Pineapple
Sweet Sharon
Darth Mater
Vorlon
Paul Robeson
Cherokee Purple
Arbuznyi
Not Purple Strawberry
Ukrainian Purple
Chocolate Cherry
White Queen
Carbon
Monkey Ass
Russian Bull Heart
Kamatis Tagalog
Black Ethiopian
Dark Copia Heart
Grace Lahman
Big Cheef
Copper River
Golden King of Siberia
Berkely Tie Dye
JD's Special C-Tex
Black Krim

I went light on tomatoes this year (compared to peppers).  I have about 20 or 25 plants.  Not sure what all of them are since the wife was mainly in charge of maters but I do know I have:

Amish Paste
Yellow Taxi

,,,and about a dozen other varieties but two aren't heirloom like Jellybean and Early Girl.  I believe the remaining plants are all heirloom but wife's not around to tell me right now.  And a few tomatillo plants as well. 

I look forward to juicy delicious non gassed tomatoes with actual flavor.  Hoping to pick a few in a couple weeks.  :party:

I've got a Black tomato that is growing very tall but is much thinner with a lot fewer branches and leaves than all my other tomato varieties.  I'll try to get a picture up this weekend, but in comparison it is much less robust than my other tomatoes.  Is that normal?

so, i decided to stop into home depot to look for some wood, to build an outdoor shelter for my plants whilst waiting for my disney vacation(hail protection). and i meet a piasano from the old country and he is growing piennolo directly from the old country and claims they are sweeter that wine.

of course, being from similar background and knowing piennolo is virtually non existent here, he got my attention, i know some members are growing this variety but is my new buddy just hyped on his italian heritage or is piennolo a nice sweet tasting product worthy of growing? i have sungold growing and a few others that are sweet, is piennolo worth my investment?

he brought them back directly from the campania, italy, i would most likely put an order in with tatianas(who carries them in canada) assuming the product is worth growing. i love my heritage but i love my tomatoes better and don't have room for pride in my small selective growing area.

Pepperhead said:
I've got a Black tomato that is growing very tall but is much thinner with a lot fewer branches and leaves than all my other tomato varieties.  I'll try to get a picture up this weekend, but in comparison it is much less robust than my other tomatoes.  Is that normal?

It really depends on the variety.  Heart types and paste types have much less foliage, and it is typically wispy.  They almost always droop like they need water even when they don't.  Purple Russian is one that grows like this.  Which variety are you growing?

Burning Colon said:
so, i decided to stop into home depot to look for some wood, to build an outdoor shelter for my plants whilst waiting for my disney vacation(hail protection). and i meet a piasano from the old country and he is growing piennolo directly from the old country and claims they are sweeter that wine.

of course, being from similar background and knowing piennolo is virtually non existent here, he got my attention, i know some members are growing this variety but is my new buddy just hyped on his italian heritage or is piennolo a nice sweet tasting product worthy of growing? i have sungold growing and a few others that are sweet, is piennolo worth my investment?

he brought them back directly from the campania, italy, i would most likely put an order in with tatianas(who carries them in canada) assuming the product is worth growing. i love my heritage but i love my tomatoes better and don't have room for pride in my small selective growing area.

I wouldn't say Piennolo was any sweeter than any other cherry.  The reason Piennolo is coveted is for how long they last.  You can hang the tomatoes still on the vine and supposedly keep them that way for up to 6 months.  They have a very thick skin which keeps them from rotting or fermenting and have decent flavor. 

Put up some bird netting & finally starting and been getting some ripe tomatoes for about a week now. Plants are about 5' tall, poles in the picture are 7'. According to my friends & family that are tomato lovers they taste great & very similar to the 'campari' types sold in store so mission accomplished. 

I took cuttings this weekend to root clones for the fall planting season, got 9 of em sitting on my windowsill at work rooting. Planning on them being ready for planting toward the last week in July.

I0HnZq4.jpg

poypoyking said:

It really depends on the variety.  Heart types and paste types have much less foliage, and it is typically wispy.  They almost always droop like they need water even when they don't.  Purple Russian is one that grows like this.  Which variety are you growing?

They are from Penny's Tomatoes and just labeled "Black".  I've got one little tomatoe on it now.  It just always looks sickly, though it is my tallest plant.

Back