• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official TOMATO thread

A couple pics of our first tomatoes; the Italian Heirloom Paste was the first to show fruit
img_0184.jpg

But the Black Plum look more prolific
img_0200.jpg

WOW!! I really wish people could sell flat rate boxes of tomatoes. I don't have much luck with growing them but I sure do like to eat them.

The plant in my squarefoot garden is about 6 foot tall and 6 foot wide. Clearly it does not belong in my squarefoot garden. 

I am growing

• Black Prince - sqftg
  • Goldie - Wallybag
  • Volkov - Wallybag
  • Roma - Wallybag
  • 1 Unknown that reseeded itself - - Wallybag
So the unknown is a cherry of some sort...I grew 3 types last year.

1.jpg

Black Prince

2.jpg

3.jpg

Roma

4.jpg

Mountain Magic hybrid going strong. I need to come up with a better way to rig the bird netting since it's staring to grow through the top. Also going to build a bit taller trellis during my vacation next week. I also have 9 clones from the biggest one that I took last Saturday, still green and perky so looks like they'll make it, hopefully I'll see roots in a few days.

IQ8wGGuh.jpg

They're not wilted like they look in the picture. All the curling is from being jammed up against the netting, the leaves are still turgid.

iTvJrJ2h.jpg

8 out of 9 clones showing roots.

sCQagOe.jpg

s1MJrk3.jpg

I don't think the small one bottom right is going to make it but the rest look great.

t9kvkBv.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looking good, I had to toss a few plants into the compost pile...as usual planted too many from seed expecting the worst.

I find it really hard to throw away my extras, and I have a few.  I find new buckets to put them in, or give away what I can.  How could you just toss your babies! ;)

Blue Beauty
BlueBerry
Carbon
Cherokee Purple
Grape
Green Zebra Cherry
Japanese Black
Matt's Wild Cherry
Michael Pollan
Rocky
Seattle Blue Wooly Mammoth F4
Shadow Boxing
Solar Flare
Sun Gold F1
SunGold Select
Tom's Yellow Wonder

First year I've grown SunGold F1's and they are incredibly sweet and high yielding.

Give 'em LOTS of room.

:rolleyes:

Pepperhead said:

I find it really hard to throw away my extras, and I have a few.  I find new buckets to put them in, or give away what I can.  How could you just toss your babies! ;)
Trust me it was hard but I decided to give the extra dozen peppers plants a home. We already have more maters than we can eat!

An update on my spindly, sickly black tomato:  It looks much healthier with more tomatoes.  It's still skinny but the leaves look much healthier and it's almost as tall as I am. I've been using a new nute regimen for about 2 weeks, and while I couldn't swear that that's what fixed it, I see no reason to change it.

I have 15 different ones... a swap towards the end of the season would definitely be fun. Assuming my plants make it until then. They got fungus and mildew, it's been raining here almost every day for two weeks, and has been hot and humid.
Been trying everything I can think of but I had to clip half the foliage and it's still spreading.

Yumyumyellow said:
I have 15 different ones... a swap towards the end of the season would definitely be fun. Assuming my plants make it until then. They got fungus and mildew, it's been raining here almost every day for two weeks, and has been hot and humid.
Been trying everything I can think of but I had to clip half the foliage and it's still spreading.
It's not organic but many often have to make the choice of Maters vs no Maters, so people often turn to Daconil, which works extremely well, much better than copper.

I try to compromise by using it only once or twice, at most, per season. This year i haven't had to reach for it.

8/9 success rate on the clones & the one that didn't make it was tiny and I never really expected it to survive. Took the cuttings 2 weeks ago tomorrow & they're rooted and showing new growth so they got transplanted to 1 gallon pots today. My intention is to plant out the last week in July for fall tomato season.

GQomPNol.jpg

1YJImiyl.jpg

IUSr083h.jpg

Jetchuka said:
It's not organic but many often have to make the choice of Maters vs no Maters, so people often turn to Daconil, which works extremely well, much better than copper.

I try to compromise by using it only once or twice, at most, per season. This year i haven't had to reach for it.
Thanks for the tip! maybe if it happens again... I sprayed with vinegar today and we had our first dry day in weeks; all the infected spots turned white or grey and the plants seem to be bouncing back. *crosses fingers*

Yumyumyellow said:
Thanks for the tip! maybe if it happens again... I sprayed with vinegar today and we had our first dry day in weeks; all the infected spots turned white or grey and the plants seem to be bouncing back. *crosses fingers*

keep us updated / would be too great if vinegar did the trick...

I wouldn't use vinegar, a known weed/plant killer, and not that effective on bacteria when watered down.. Scroll down half way to see the damage watered down vinegar can do.

Tomatoes are so sensitive to blights and bacterias, that i don't like using home remedies on them. I go right for the big guns, but even copper's effectiveness is limited, which is why i also recommended Daconil. I pre-spray tomatoes before any signs of disease, right at plant-out i'll use Serenade, then alternate with copper (or vice versa) then trim any branches close to the dirt. If things start looking even just a little bit funny i break out the Daconil. I started mulching the ground around my maters to prevent dirt splash-up and avoid some of this mess.

With tomatoes, once that late blight hits, or one of the viruses, it's too late. It hits so fast that, unless you catch it right away, there's almost nothing you can do to control it, except yank the plant and spray down the other ones. Tomato plants are much more frail than pepper plants.

oh wow, I didn't realize they were that much more frail. I thought they'd be strong from getting organic natural everything. The joints are gnarly big. I didn't spray with diluted vinegar... I sprayed it with the straight stuff. Luckily it worked on almost all the plants(they were pretty bad and it rained about an hour later) only two of my 40 aren't looking good, it was like nuking it though. Almost immediate but it made those two look awful the rest down wind caught it too. My whole neighborhood and up to a mile away gets it too. :/ not a whole lot i can do when i'm already getting ripe berries. I don't want to put anything on it that'll affect the fruit.

They're rather large; I used the vinegar sparingly and sprayed it into the wind. Are Daconil and copper the only other options?
IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

They're all a few inches taller now and I just picked this :
IMG_2635.jpg

Almost all of them have it now, but I keep clipping leaves and like i said before it seems to be under control. Any suggestions? i've always grown tomatoes and each year it seems to be different and irregular so i'd like to be able to control as many variables as possible.

Are Daconil and copper the only other options?

Copper, Daconil, Serenade, Activonate, Mancozeb, Excel LG. There are a couple more good ones but these are the most discussed. Mulching the ground helps with the splash up, and improves your soil over time, especially clay.

Daconil seems to get the highest marks in all tomato forums though, and is recommended even in forums where people can be aggressively pro-organic. The logic used is that you're better off having un-organic tomatoes than none at all. Heck if Mrs Tomato herself recommends it, Dr Carolyn Male (Link), i'd use it for that reason alone, lol. But there is many year's worth of user testimonial to back it up.

But you've been successfully raising tomatoes for years, and probably planted good resistant varieties so there's not much else i could teach you ;), you just got hit with horrid weather this year and your plants finally succumbed to something.

Here's an important quote from that thread i linked:

yes, I do suggest Daconil for the two most common fungal foliage infections of Early Blight and Septotria Leaf Spot, as a preventive, nothing can CURE such infections. And yes, I know Daconil is synthetic.
But it has less toxicity than does Rotenone which is organic and approved by almost all organic certifying agencies. Organic or synthetic my concern is toxicity to humans and pets, bees and the environment in general.

^^^ Despite being  a synthetic, Daconil causes less environmental harm than some so-called organic solutions.

Al-from-Chile said:
What are you growing and why?

- Indigo Rose (purple tomato AND supposedly very tasty- need I say more?)

darcy-tomato-Indigo-Rose.jpg

- Ildy (highly prolific and tasty yellow cherry tomatoes)

3017_2839_large.jpg

- Stupice (gold standard for early tomato - can go for 6 months with fruit)

Stupice-label.jpg

- San Marzano (longish shaped - good for sauces)

San-Marzano-Tomato.jpg

What you cooking in your garden?

Cheers, Al
I am growing the Indigo Rose as well I picked my first two to early, but not I know to wait till there deep red under side where the purple isn't and pretty red all over, to me they look like a ripe plum when there ready!!  

Have a few others like the Black Krim, Box car Willie, Abe Lincoln, Rutgers.     

Back