• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

Blister said:
Same plant in a hempy bucket

You've totally got me wanting to try a hempy bucket out!  A project for next year... once I get the basics down  :)

FGpepperguy said:

I had 4 hop plants, but took them out since I could never get the alpha/flavor to match what I could buy at the brew store.  Mainbrew is the best brew store in the PDX area :)

No shade for me tomorrow.... all sun!

Going all sun as well. Peppers need to toughen up. Plus, I got lazy.

Mainbrew is a haul for me, so I usually end up at Steinbarts. I used to go out to Brew Brothers out there, but I heard their selection wasn't what it once was.

Roguejim said:
Ah!  I was hoping you would show up here!!  We are hitting 101F tomorrow.  No shade cloth.  I'm just too lazy, I guess.  Temps drop down to 92F on Wed., and 90F by Thursday.  So, what do you do with the hops?  What variety? 

The consensus is no shade cloth, which I'm fine with! A bit burnt out to deal with that tonight. Plus, the temps are supposed to dip back to low 80s right way.

I've got one plant each of Centennial and Zeus growing. Come harvest time, I brew a fresh hop ale that calls for garbage bags filled with hops.

Nice plants FG!  I think we'll all survive the heat.  I wonder what that mystery aji will be?  Ajijoe has tons of ajis.

blorvak said:

You've totally got me wanting to try a hempy bucket out!  A project for next year... once I get the basics down  :)

Going all sun as well. Peppers need to toughen up. Plus, I got lazy.

Mainbrew is a haul for me, so I usually end up at Steinbarts. I used to go out to Brew Brothers out there, but I heard their selection wasn't what it once was.

The consensus is no shade cloth, which I'm fine with! A bit burnt out to deal with that tonight. Plus, the temps are supposed to dip back to low 80s right way.

I've got one plant each of Centennial and Zeus growing. Come harvest time, I brew a fresh hop ale that calls for garbage bags filled with hops.
I see.  I also brew a fresh hop ale every Fall, but a friend is doing the growing.  Good luck with the heat.

Question guys! I bought a littttttle baby bhut from the farmers market here in Vancouver. It was in one of those little plastic cells (not the ones you put seedlings in, the ones that hold about a cup of dirt) and I transferred it to a half gallon container. It sits about 3.5/4 inches high now, I was wondering if there was any specific size that it needs to be before I transfer it in to a larger container? I'm trying to minimize as much shock as possible, so I'm not going to throw it in to a 5 gallon bucket right away..Here's a picture:

Ftz9bSg.jpg

NOTE:Not sure why the container looks so shallow, but it stands about a 9-10 inches high.

Thanks again :D

xBrianxEdge said:
Question guys! I bought a littttttle baby bhut from the farmers market here in Vancouver. It was in one of those little plastic cells (not the ones you put seedlings in, the ones that hold about a cup of dirt) and I transferred it to a half gallon container. It sits about 3.5/4 inches high now, I was wondering if there was any specific size that it needs to be before I transfer it in to a larger container? I'm trying to minimize as much shock as possible, so I'm not going to throw it in to a 5 gallon bucket right away..Here's a picture:

Ftz9bSg.jpg

NOTE:Not sure why the container looks so shallow, but it stands about a 9-10 inches high.

Thanks again :D

I'd leave it be until it just starts to get a little root bound.  Won't your season be over before the plant reaches maturity? 

Roguejim said:

I'd leave it be until it just starts to get a little root bound.  Won't your season be over before the plant reaches maturity? 
Not sure. I guess we'll see! It's been growing really fast so far...but as far as it being root bound, how can you tell? just look through the holes at the bottom of the container?

xBrianxEdge said:
Not sure. I guess we'll see! It's been growing really fast so far...but as far as it being root bound, how can you tell? just look through the holes at the bottom of the container?

Yeah, I think you might need to bring that baby indoors at season's end, and over winter for next year.  I did this one year with a Scorpion Butch T.  I turned it into a house plant.  Just cut it back quite a bit since it was mature, put it in about a 3 gallon pot, and kept it in a window.  It was beautiful, but, the aphids attacked it a few times.  One of the hazards inherent in keeping these plants in a house for a long period.  No problem some pyrethrin can't handle.  I think I'll do it again with a very select few of my plants, probably my Pimenta Leopard, because it's not real common, and I think it would look awesome in my living room window.

As for the roots, if you see any through those holes, it's time.  Of course, you'll probably be potting up to a #1 size pot, not a 5 gallon.  At least, that's what most guys do.

Now that I look at the pot again, it might actually be a #1 size.

You guys sweatin', yet?

1PM, on my front patio.

1PM on the river side of the house.

Good thing I watered all the plants about 10:30AM.  They were already beginning to wilt a bit.  Later!  I'm headed for the pool.

In the Pacific Northwest, you've got rain forest, desert, and everything in between. I used to grow near rainy-cool Portland and am now adapting to a more high desert climate (Boise). The great thing here is we have free irrigation water - all you can use between May and November. Check out my glog for more.

hottoddy said:
In the Pacific Northwest, you've got rain forest, desert, and everything in between. I used to grow near rainy-cool Portland and am now adapting to a more high desert climate (Boise). The great thing here is we have free irrigation water - all you can use between May and November. Check out my glog for more.
I guess I'm not that familiar with the entire state. Where is this rain forest, and, desert? Just curious.

I was referring to the entire Pacific Northwest, but eastern Oregon is considered desert. Boise and much of south eastern Idaho is considered high desert as well. Much of the Olympic Peninsula (WA) is rain forest. 

So I moved all my plants to the shade because the leaves started drooping and they looked super sad. Same with my tomatoes. The rest of the week looks AMAZING weather-wise though, in Vancouver it's going to be 77 for 4 days straight! 

95-96° for highs, and windy, sucking the plants dry, and  it's an all day affair until after dark. I saw your temps, rather hot there. Is that normal? How long does it stay like that?

xBrianxEdge said:
So I moved all my plants to the shade because the leaves started drooping and they looked super sad. Same with my tomatoes. The rest of the week looks AMAZING weather-wise though, in Vancouver it's going to be 77 for 4 days straight!
Sounds like a water issue. We are at around 104F right now, and the peppers and tomatoes are all doing goog. I watered them all pretty heavily this morning. I have a Jamaican Mushroom plant that is my "canary in the coal mine". It's always the first to droop, so I know all the other plants can go 1 more day before needing water.
Devv said:
95-96° for highs, and windy, sucking the plants dry, and  it's an all day affair until after dark. I saw your temps, rather hot there. Is that normal? How long does it stay like that?
We're at 104F now. That 104F is a little unusual, but we stay in the 90s for most of July/August. I love it. I'm still not putting up shade cloth, since the plants are in the shade when the temp peaks, plus, I'm lazy.

Roguejim said:
Sounds like a water issue. We are at around 104F right now, and the peppers and tomatoes are all doing goog. I watered them all pretty heavily this morning. I have a Jamaican Mushroom plant that is my "canary in the coal mine". It's always the first to droop, so I know all the other plants can go 1 more day before needing water.

We're at 104F now. That 104F is a little unusual, but we stay in the 90s for most of July/August. I love it. I'm still not putting up shade cloth, since the plants are in the shade when the temp peaks, plus, I'm lazy.
Hmm, I watered all my plants this morning as well =/
KevinH said:
 This folks is one the meanest dogs in the world, they will beat you with a waggie tail, an they will drown you with dog slobber.

You got that right! haha, Man their tails hurt when they're wagging them super hard though, lol.

It's pretty hot in my little sweat shack right now! Almost makes me wish I was at work in the air conditioning. Almost. I'm hoping a cold beer will help with the issue.

Neil
I've watered my plants 3 times today already. That's about 8L of water from the 9L of nutes that I mixed up this morning. I didn't even get that much run off either.

Back