• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

I don't know about the rest of the Pacific Northwest, but, this heat spike has been a blessing in disguise, turning on the podding action for some of my plants, ones that I have been waiting and waiting on...one in particular that gave me zero pods last season, has produced 3 this afternoon. Photos tomorrow when the lighting is better. I hope the heat has treated you guys well!

Sorry, dude. I'm home on vacation, spending my time between the pepper beds and the pool...oh yeah, and the home brew fridge. This is my kind of weather. I was made for island living.

Got up to 99 or so out here, but the peppers handled it in stride. No drooping. I did make sure to give everyone a good watering last night.

After that blast of heat, we're back down to 79 tomorrow. Hoping a few pods set with that little taste of heat.

I watered Sunday late afternoon with fish fert and checked on them at 5pm this evening (tuesday).  Still going strong.  Hit them with a little water, but not sure if they needed it.

Okay my turn.  Get ready to laugh at what got me into growing peppers:

This is where I started.  My wife got me a Chia Master Gardener set.  It had three 3" terracotta pots inside and four packs of seeds.  One each of Jalapeno's, California Wonder Sweet Peppers, Sweet Basil and Floridade Tomatoes.

3" Terracotta starter pot...This is what got it all started for me.

Then I stepped up to hanging fluorescent lights which I don't have pic's of but here are some of the "next progression" shots.  The light fixtures are those stainless steel round with one bulb shop lights with the squeeze clamps on them. 

and 

and

My indoor grow area.  There are four 4' T8 fixtures suspended from the ceiling in the basement and under the table are three more fixtures.  The bulbs are T8, 6500 Kelvin fluorescents.  I built the table out lumber I had laying around in the garage.

From the grow room in the basement to the deck.  Keep in mind that my deck is 18' X 22' and I practically covered the entire perimeter of the deck with tomatoes, peppers and assorted herbs.

Thanks blorvak...not ashamed just funny how things work out.   :dance:

And here is the rest of the original post because I had too many pic's in it the first go round.

After filling up the deck my wife and I decided to dedicate the side yard by the travel trailer to all garden area.  I put down black plastic to help keep the weeds away from my plants and this is what I have going now.  After posting this pic, I realized that I need a new picture of the garden area because this doesn't show all of my plants.

After moving all of my plants outside I was at a local nursery looking at flower type stuff for my wife.  We ran across some Ghost Peppers and I asked the lady if they had any Trinidad Moruga Scorpions.  She said they did but I had to ask the owner for them.  After assuring the owner that my intent was to grow them and not feed them to someone who I was pissed off at he agreed to sell me a Trinidad Butch "T" Scorpion.

Ghost Pepper:

Trinidad Butch "T" Scorpion:

Last week while I was on vacation I went to a farm store and found these peppers plants on their shelves.  I got two Hungarian Wax Pepper plants and a Gypsy Pepper plant all for $6.50.

Hungarian Wax Peppers:

Gypsy Peppers:

LowDrag said:
Thanks blorvak...not ashamed just funny how things work out.   :dance:

And here is the rest of the original post because I had too many pic's in it the first go round.

After filling up the deck my wife and I decided to dedicate the side yard by the travel trailer to all garden area.  I put down black plastic to help keep the weeds away from my plants and this is what I have going now.  After posting this pic, I realized that I need a new picture of the garden area because this doesn't show all of my plants.

After moving all of my plants outside I was at a local nursery looking at flower type stuff for my wife.  We ran across some Ghost Peppers and I asked the lady if they had any Trinidad Moruga Scorpions.  She said they did but I had to ask the owner for them.  After assuring the owner that my intent was to grow them and not feed them to someone who I was pissed off at he agreed to sell me a Trinidad Butch "T" Scorpion.

Ghost Pepper:

Trinidad Butch "T" Scorpion:

Last week while I was on vacation I went to a farm store and found these peppers plants on their shelves.  I got two Hungarian Wax Pepper plants and a Gypsy Pepper plant all for $6.50.

Hungarian Wax Peppers:

Gypsy Peppers:

Hey LowDrag.  Man, you got pots!  Have you ever considered a raised bed?  It looks like you have the room.  Just something different.  I like both pots, and, in ground growing.  Your T8 fluoros remind me of my season last year.  They worked great.  I'm glad you're here!  I want to see everyone's pods!!  I know, that's a ways off.

EDIT:  I just have to comment on the Chia Set.  I do believe you're are the first Chia grower I've seen!  Frankly, I would be very proud.  It reminds me of my friends teasing me when I started losing my hair, they would tell me to get some Chia seed for my head!!  A--holes!!!

blorvak said:
Got up to 99 or so out here, but the peppers handled it in stride. No drooping. I did make sure to give everyone a good watering last night.

After that blast of heat, we're back down to 79 tomorrow. Hoping a few pods set with that little taste of heat.
I saw about 10 or 11 habanero pods set today. The flower petals fell off and the peppers are coming through. They're tiny, but they're indeed coming! :D 

My scotch bonnet just keeps dropping blossoms. It's pissin' me off!

Roguejim said:

Hey LowDrag.  Man, you got pots!  Have you ever considered a raised bed?  It looks like you have the room.  Just something different.  I like both pots, and, in ground growing.  Your T8 fluoros remind me of my season last year.  They worked great.  I'm glad you're here!  I want to see everyone's pods!!  I know, that's a ways off.

EDIT:  I just have to comment on the Chia Set.  I do believe you're are the first Chia grower I've seen!  Frankly, I would be very proud.  It reminds me of my friends teasing me when I started losing my hair, they would tell me to get some Chia seed for my head!!  A--holes!!!

Hey Jim, thanks for the post, that made my day.  I did consider raised beds but I got the pots for free to try first.  I wasn't sure I would want to continue with growing anything but I am having fun with it.  I am pretty sure I am going to build raised beds next year.   I like the pots but it is a lot of work to water all of those pots.  I have been reading on here and on Facebook about people that have drip irrigation systems and I am thinking about heading that direction next year.

I must have worded the Chia thing wrong.  I think it is funny how I got started and all of this is just since January.  This has been a project that has gone crazy overnight and I am having a blast with it.

I get teased at work a lot about being the old man so I know how you feel with your friends.  For the most part I just ignore them or laugh right back at them...LOL!!!
xBrianxEdge said:
I saw about 10 or 11 habanero pods set today. The flower petals fell off and the peppers are coming through. They're tiny, but they're indeed coming! :D 

My scotch bonnet just keeps dropping blossoms. It's pissin' me off!

I noticed one of my Jalapeno plants is starting to pop out a couple of pods too.  I had it trimmed back pretty good to get it to grow taller which it did and now it is flowering with a couple of pods popping out so far.  

Don't let the flowers falling off get to you, your plant is going to do what it is going to do and you are just along for the ride.  That is part of the fun for me.

I had some leaf turning during the hot part of the day on my exotic varieties. But everything was back to normal in the evening with things cooled down. Drenched them in AACT at about 9:00pm. They were all perky and ready to rock this morning. 

Well, it's looking like we'll be in the 90s all week, through Monday, at least. It's looking like daily watering. Yuck. I removed my drip irrigation this season for some stupid reason. It's going back in next season! Has anyone ever considered misting their plants with plain water in the evenings, to provide some humidity? Those boys in the South grow some monster plants.

I mist my garden in the evenings often. I don't soak them though because I'm on city water that has chlorine. 

Some pics:

The gang:
IMG_3309_zps6dffecf3.jpg

Dragon Cayenne with one huge pod
IMG_3295_zps65c569a8.jpg

Carolina Reaper
IMG_3296_zps9be29280.jpg

Yellow/Golden Cayenne
IMG_3297_zps02d7d364.jpg

7Pot red, Yellow Brain Strain (2)
IMG_3298_zpsc7138a58.jpg

Habanero
IMG_3299_zps2643d9f8.jpg

Red Hot Cayenne
IMG_3300_zpsbb096772.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion
IMG_3302_zpsceefa7e1.jpg

Corn and Squash
IMG_3310_zps5a8d3e83.jpg

Maters and Cukes
IMG_3311_zpsba5699c2.jpg

ColdSmoke said:
I mist my garden in the evenings often. I don't soak them though because I'm on city water that has chlorine. 

Some pics:

The gang:
IMG_3309_zps6dffecf3.jpg

Dragon Cayenne with one huge pod
IMG_3295_zps65c569a8.jpg

Carolina Reaper
IMG_3296_zps9be29280.jpg

Yellow/Golden Cayenne
IMG_3297_zps02d7d364.jpg

7Pot red, Yellow Brain Strain (2)
IMG_3298_zpsc7138a58.jpg

Habanero
IMG_3299_zps2643d9f8.jpg

Red Hot Cayenne
IMG_3300_zpsbb096772.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion
IMG_3302_zpsceefa7e1.jpg

Corn and Squash
IMG_3310_zps5a8d3e83.jpg

Maters and Cukes
IMG_3311_zpsba5699c2.jpg
Very nice set-up! Looks like you have a lot of greenery beyond the deck. I know there has to be a bbq on that deck somewhere! Good luck with that Reaper. My Reaper last season was a bust, so, I'm trying it again. Some flowers now, but, no pods, yet. How many hours of sunlight do you get on your deck?

LowDrag said:

I noticed one of my Jalapeno plants is starting to pop out a couple of pods too.  I had it trimmed back pretty good to get it to grow taller which it did and now it is flowering with a couple of pods popping out so far.  

Don't let the flowers falling off get to you, your plant is going to do what it is going to do and you are just along for the ride.  That is part of the fun for me.
Haha yeah but it angers me to see the dropping flowers so much! I want my damn peppers! :)

Yeah...I have a couple BBQs on that deck. Traeger gets most of the work. Green space behind the house with a small creek. Probably 6 hours of light in the spring and 8-9 through the summer months. Last year I had cayennes, habaneros and red bhut. Cayennes went crazy, only one ripe pod from the red bhut and a handful of habs. I put almost no effort into them though. I have a moruga and chocolate bhut in the front of the house where there's more light to test things out. 

hop plants too....they have lots of aphids.

dsc00021rk.jpg

IMG_3291_zps535a4a10.jpg

ColdSmoke said:
Yeah...I have a couple BBQs on that deck. Traeger gets most of the work. Green space behind the house with a small creek. Probably 6 hours of light in the spring and 8-9 through the summer months. Last year I had cayennes, habaneros and red bhut. Cayennes went crazy, only one ripe pod from the red bhut and a handful of habs. I put almost no effort into them though. I have a moruga and chocolate bhut in the front of the house where there's more light to test things out. 

hop plants too....they have lots of aphids.

dsc00021rk.jpg

IMG_3291_zps535a4a10.jpg
Ohhhhhh my gosh!

Get some Neem oil on that plant! Not the stuff you buy from the store...just 100% cold pressed neem oil from Amazon. Works like a charm :)

Back