• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

I will have quite a few seeds after harvest to give away to the PNWers who want them. I tried giving away some really nice seeds last year, but no one came through with a SASBE. Weird.

Roguejim said:
I will have quite a few seeds after harvest to give away to the PNWers who want them. I tried giving away some really nice seeds last year, but no one came through with a SASBE. Weird.

If you don't get any PNW takers, I know this ASE'er (Atlantic South East) would be down for some seeds.  My binder has room for more seeds.

KevinH said:
So lets get a seed co op for the north west going.

Interesting idea...how would you see this being organized?  Something like a seed bank where all members who want to withdraw seeds each season must contribute seeds in the fall?  And its in the co-op's best interest to have as wide a variety as possible.  Sounds really interesting actually.  I assume one person would volunteer to manage inventory, seed deposits and requests.

Any other thoughts?

Roguejim said:
Shoot I'll be more than happy to come take some off your hands! Is your grow list in the first page of this glog?

After harvest lest post up the seeds we want. And we just can do a trade for seeds. I know I am sitting pretty well on seeds. Next year when I get fruit I will isolate 5 pods on my biggest plant. With the hopes I got true seeds. But I also need to post pics of my plants again. Now on a 12/12 cycle they look even better.

I would swap seeds if I something worth swapping.

On a side note does anyone have any idea what this pepper is?  I have never anything like it.

They had a a seed train on the forum before.  You could put seeds in and take seeds out,
and it was mailed from person to person who wanted to participate.

Yeah a seed pass would probably be the easiest way to accomplish this. Someone with a wide variety would have to start it though....

I love the idea of a seed train/pass.  It reminds me of those food boxes you (used to) see on the Appalachian trail where a hiker drops off extra food they dont need and/or takes some food they do need.

Lots of green pods here. Nothing seems to want to turn...my only hope at this point is a nice late September harvest.

Well, things in the Rogue Valley are moving along.  Chinenses are ripening quicker than the others.  I have a zillion aji lemons/limons/lemon drops/amarilos, and barely a half dozen are even ripe, yet.  My tallest, 6ft plant, and Aji Pancay, still has no flowers.  Aphids are still on the attack, so, I'll be attacking back again tomorrow evening with more pyrethrins.  A lot of leaf drop which I attribute to both the aphids, and consistent +90F heat.  Here's some color.

I think these are Caribbean Red Habs.  Plants were given to me as Morugas-not.  I have a big ziplock bag full of these already in the freezer.  Nice plant.

Jimmy Nardellos, still coming.

Ma Wiri Wiri.  Very prolific, and pretty damned hot, too.  I have a sauce planned for these.

Another cross/mismarked plant.  Supposedly, a Scotch Bonnet Choc.

Giant Yellow 7-Pots.

I forgot what this was.  Isabela Island Hab?

Aji Cacho de Cabra.

First ripe Reaper, except for the stinger!

Jamaican Mushrooms.

Scary Bhuts.

I grew those mushroom peppers for two years in a row.  Last year they turned orange from the year before when they were yellow.  

I posted this over on blorvaks GLOG too.  I meant to put it over here so I am posting in two places...Ooooops!!!

I just went out and got some pic's to show to everyone:

Here are some Habanero's on my first Habanero plant.  One of these plants has something like 8 pods on it and the other has about 5.

And from my second Habanero plant:

Anaheim Chili's, I am not what I am going to do with these.  

Banana Peppers, I have 12 or 14 of these plants and I do know what I am going to do with them.  I am going pickle them...  :P

Hungarian Wax Peppers.  These guys have some zing to them.  I grilled one last week and put it on a burger, that made for an interesting taste.

Red Bells.  Funny thing is, all the peppers are growing down low on the plant where I topped it originally nothing up higher on the stems.

Serrano Peppers:

Mystery Pepper - plant 1.  These peppers looks like Serrano's but are much lighter in color than the picture of the Serrano's above.

Mystery Pepper - plant 2.  It is hard to see but this is plant that has the little white fuzzy hair growing on the stems.  The color matches the Serrano's but the Serrano's don't have the white fuzzy stuff on the stems.

Mystery Pepper - plant 3.  This one???  Who the hell knows???  I have posted this pic on The Hot Pepper Growing Society on Facebook and no one there seems to know what it is either.  This came in the package that had all different sorts of pepper seeds that's why I have dubbed them the Mystery Peppers.

Things are starting come along pretty nicely I think. Considering this is the first crop of peppers I have ever grown.  Have a great weekend everyone!!!  

I just realized I am In blorvaks GLOG.  If this is considered bad form let me know and I will move this post.  I was thinking I was in the PNW thread.

LowDrag said:
I posted this over on blorvaks GLOG too.  I meant to put it over here so I am posting in two places...Ooooops!!!

I just went out and got some pic's to show to everyone:

Here are some Habanero's on my first Habanero plant.  One of these plants has something like 8 pods on it and the other has about 5.

And from my second Habanero plant:

Anaheim Chili's, I am not what I am going to do with these.  

Banana Peppers, I have 12 or 14 of these plants and I do know what I am going to do with them.  I am going pickle them...  :P

Hungarian Wax Peppers.  These guys have some zing to them.  I grilled one last week and put it on a burger, that made for an interesting taste.

Red Bells.  Funny thing is, all the peppers are growing down low on the plant where I topped it originally nothing up higher on the stems.

Serrano Peppers:

Mystery Pepper - plant 1.  These peppers looks like Serrano's but are much lighter in color than the picture of the Serrano's above.

Mystery Pepper - plant 2.  It is hard to see but this is plant that has the little white fuzzy hair growing on the stems.  The color matches the Serrano's but the Serrano's don't have the white fuzzy stuff on the stems.

Mystery Pepper - plant 3.  This one???  Who the hell knows???  I have posted this pic on The Hot Pepper Growing Society on Facebook and no one there seems to know what it is either.  This came in the package that had all different sorts of pepper seeds that's why I have dubbed them the Mystery Peppers.

Things are starting come along pretty nicely I think. Considering this is the first crop of peppers I have ever grown.  Have a great weekend everyone!!!  

I just realized I am In blorvaks GLOG.  If this is considered bad form let me know and I will move this post.  I was thinking I was in the PNW thread.
I don't think anyone cares much about a double post...

Do you like habs a lot? Lots of different ones to try besides the orange. If I can get enough seeds from my harvest, I'll have the Isabella Island Hab seeds to give out. It's a "must have". As for your Anaheims, you could make chile rellenos, but, that can be a pain. The easy thing, is the next time you fire up your bbq grill, roast the Anaheims, and eat them alongside whatever meat your having. I roasted 3 Big Jim chiles today, and put them on a grilled chicken burger. I peeled one, and left the other unpeeled. Not much difference in the end. I also added my Scotch Bonnet Peach Pepper Sauce to it. Murder!

Roguejim said:
I don't think anyone cares much about a double post...

Do you like habs a lot? Lots of different ones to try besides the orange. If I can get enough seeds from my harvest, I'll have the Isabella Island Hab seeds to give out. It's a "must have". As for your Anaheims, you could make chile rellenos, but, that can be a pain. The easy thing, is the next time you fire up your bbq grill, roast the Anaheims, and eat them alongside whatever meat your having. I roasted 3 Big Jim chiles today, and put them on a grilled chicken burger. I peeled one, and left the other unpeeled. Not much difference in the end. I also added my Scotch Bonnet Peach Pepper Sauce to it. Murder!

So far no one has said anything... :) 

I will definitely have to try grilling them, thanks for the tip.  I must say that your Scotch Bonnet Peach Pepper Sauce sounds very interesting.

Thanks!!!

LowDrag said:

So far no one has said anything... :) 

I will definitely have to try grilling them, thanks for the tip.  I must say that your Scotch Bonnet Peach Pepper Sauce sounds very interesting.

Thanks!!!
I think if someone cut back on the Scotch Bonnets in that recipe, it wouldn't hurt.  It's pretty hot for me, until I put it on food.  Then, it's great. 

Back