• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

Glad to see so many very healthy plants loading up with pods.  Good luck to all of you. 

My season is really winding down for my chinenses in light of the aphid attack which I never could really get under control.  About 3-4 plants still have pods, the rest don't even have flowers.  Massive leaf drop, too.  I'm lucky I got decent early harvests, so I think I will be good for making sauces and pepper cheese this upcoming year.  I pulled up an SB7J, Savannah 7-Pot, Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp, and 1 or 2 others.  Too badly damaged.  I also pulled two aji pineapple plants for the same reason.  Only 4-5 pods green pods on them, plus aphids under every leaf.  I need a plan for next season so this doesn't happen again.  On to the photos.

Trinidad Perfume(top). 

Peach Bhut.

Reapers.

OK will I was going over some things with my plants I am convinced all my issues are due to not watering enough when I did water the plants that where set out side and watered every time they looked dry are doing better then the one's that only got water when half dead. Hit them with a full round of nutes. And I am getting ready to start a hundred jalapeno plants. Going to see how far I can push plant's in rapid rooter plug's.

Does anyone have any experience with moldy leaves on a squash plant by any chance?  I have three Acorn Squash plants and they have developed a grey mold on the leaves.

Thanks,
Dave

LowDrag said:
Does anyone have any experience with moldy leaves on a squash plant by any chance?  I have three Acorn Squash plants and they have developed a grey mold on the leaves.

Thanks,
Dave

Now that it's getting cooler at night, the downy mildew is setting in. Have it on most of my squash now. You can keep it at bay by removing the infected leaves (and throwing them in the trash), but it usually means the plant is near the end.  Stressed plants are more susceptible. 

When I lived in Olympia, Wa. (before moving back to Europe) I though I was only chilli growerin the Pac. NW. 

Your plants look great. Good luck.

LowDrag said:

Thanks,
Dave

There has not been a year where I didn't experience the powdery mildew on my squash. It usually doesnt affect production or spread to other plants. 
check out this monster reaper

reapermadness_zps1aad7229.jpg

ColdSmoke said:

There has not been a year where I didn't experience the powdery mildew on my squash. It usually doesnt affect production or spread to other plants. 

Thanks for the tips guys.

Nice...that's a beauty!!!

So I haven't really been around a lot because my microprocessors and multivariable calculus classes are kicking my ass, but I managed to pick THIS little guy today and made some salsa with it :) I'm the only one in my family that can handle it because my wife's a wuss :(

c7g7jhc.jpg

LowDrag said:

Squash plants can get a powdery mildew on their leaves when they are watered by spraying on top so the leaves get wet, and when the leaves get so crowded that there is little air circulation in between.  I always try to keep the leaves pruned a bit so its not too dense, and also will cut out any stem that shows mildew as soon as it shows up.  That worked pretty well for me this year.  I've also read that a spray bottle with a mix of water and baking soda can help with mildew. 

Also, (supposedly) the mildew spores can overwinter so just throw away the leaves that get infected.  Don't put them in your compost unless you feel absolutely sure the compost heat will kill them.

xBrianxEdge said:
So I haven't really been around a lot because my microprocessors and multivariable calculus classes are kicking my ass, but I managed to pick THIS little guy today and made some salsa with it :) I'm the only one in my family that can handle it because my wife's a wuss :(

c7g7jhc.jpg

That just made me feel like I am lacking in the grey matter department!!!   :shh:  Don't tell anyone... :shame:
blorvak said:

Now that it's getting cooler at night, the downy mildew is setting in. Have it on most of my squash now. You can keep it at bay by removing the infected leaves (and throwing them in the trash), but it usually means the plant is near the end.  Stressed plants are more susceptible. 

Cool thanx, I will trim them up tonight!!!

ColdSmoke said:

Last year, my very first ripe Reaper was abouty that size, and it absolutely kicked my butt!  Big surprises in a small package.

I was attempting to convince a friend that he should try one of my hot peppers, but after seeing my reaction to that small reaper, he will not go beyound a Jalapeno popper!

ColdSmoke said:
Yeah, that's serious business in a small package. 
I had a Caribbean Red Habanero that small and I decided to eat it. We were on the way to Fred Meyers, and I was salivating in a produce bag (the plastic ones you get to put apples and stuff in) the whole time haha. 

LowDrag, I won't tell anyone :P  THANKFULLY finals ended for me today, and my brain can snap back to reality instead of being stuck in triple integrals and vector fields :D

xBrianxEdge said:
I had a Caribbean Red Habanero that small and I decided to eat it. We were on the way to Fred Meyers, and I was salivating in a produce bag (the plastic ones you get to put apples and stuff in) the whole time haha. 

LowDrag, I won't tell anyone :P  THANKFULLY finals ended for me today, and my brain can snap back to reality instead of being stuck in triple integrals and vector fields :D

HUH?!?!?!   ;)

Well here in Seattle we just got two days of rain and the temps seems to have fallen about 10 degrees (both night and day temps).  Looks like fall is starting early.

This was an odd growing season for me.  Very few ripe peppers so far this season; just my Aji Lemons and Congo Trinidads.  I've got a ton of green pods just waiting to ripen up.  Hopefully we'll have a round of hot weather sometime this month, and maybe I can get some of these green pods to ripen. 

turbo said:
Well here in Seattle we just got two days of rain and the temps seems to have fallen about 10 degrees (both night and day temps).  Looks like fall is starting early.

This was an odd growing season for me.  Very few ripe peppers so far this season; just my Aji Lemons and Congo Trinidads.  I've got a ton of green pods just waiting to ripen up.  Hopefully we'll have a round of hot weather sometime this month, and maybe I can get some of these green pods to ripen.
Yeah, I hate that. It happened here last season. I'd just leave all the plants until the first frost takes them out. Nothing to lose.

Yep, since my plants are infested with aphids, they are now out on their own. The frost will take care of them!

Neil

Blister said:
Yep, since my plants are infested with aphids, they are now out on their own. The frost will take care of them!
Neil
Aphids ravaged quite a few of my plants. I'm not sure how to prevent them from showing up next season. I'm considering abamectin. Pyrethrins is too short term, and only kills adults on contact. It's not cheap, either.

Back