• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

I'm starting to get a bit worried.  I've got 12 Chinese and Aji plants packed full of green peppers and only pulling about 4-5 ripe peppers a day from the bunch.  There is definitely a lot of color going on, but most are still half green, and by October its gonna start getting cold and wet.  Its been a pretty disappointing year for my peppers overall.  Very few and pretty small first round peppers harvested, and tons of second round peppers but not ripening fast enough.  We'll see how it goes

turbo said:
I'm starting to get a bit worried.  I've got 12 Chinese and Aji plants packed full of green peppers and only pulling about 4-5 ripe peppers a day from the bunch.  There is definitely a lot of color going on, but most are still half green, and by October its gonna start getting cold and wet.  Its been a pretty disappointing year for my peppers overall.  Very few and pretty small first round peppers harvested, and tons of second round peppers but not ripening fast enough.  We'll see how it goes

When it gets to that point you can cut the stock, bring them inside and hang them. They will ripen. I did this last year and it worked very well.

ColdSmoke said:

When it gets to that point you can cut the stock, bring them inside and hang them. They will ripen. I did this last year and it worked very well.

Thats great to know...it looks like I'll definitly have to give that a shot this year

I will need to cut my peppers down in a few weeks also. My guarani pepper hasn't produced a ripe pepper yet! I'm almost done with my indoor grow space build too. I'll be able to overwinter 10+ 5 gallon pots this year. Below is an update on what I've pulled so far. I have a few dried bags before I decided to just freeze.

image.jpg

image.jpg

turbo said:

You can still dehydrate the semi ripe pods and powder them at  your leisure....or... Make a chutney from the green ones .. pickle and can the slices. What I've done in the past was to  grind up the pods coarsely in a blender add that to 1/2 gallon mason jars with enough vinegar to cover with minimal head space. The mash can be used anytime at a later date cooked down and processed with other ingredients to make a tasty hot sauce. Never a loss with unripe pods....

Officially moved inside under a 300w CFL, waiting around for a convertible to show up so I can properly light the wee little ones.

NIce guys. Id have peppers had I started a month or 2 sooner.. Lost of pods starting But I think the sun is done.

Same story here....I germinated in April. Good thing I have a buddy who loaded me up with pods this year. February is when I'll start em next year...

Feb 1st seems to be the magic time of year for us PNW folks.Yea I will up root all my plants here next month and dump all my soil back in a trash can and compost the old plants in it.
ColdSmoke said:
Same story here....I germinated in April. Good thing I have a buddy who loaded me up with pods this year. February is when I'll start em next year...

Well...I finally am getting off my ass and posting these pic's.  Here are my Trinidad Scorpion, Bhut Jolokia and one of my Hab's.  I am going to do as suggested above and cut them off at the stock and hang them upside down so they can get ripe.  One question though.  Do I need to have them under the grow lights for this to work or just hang them in the basement?  I would take the plants in and over winter them but the sugar ants seem to like my hot peppers so they are not coming inside.  As far as starting a new crop I am going to start the end of December this year.  I am also NOT going to prune my plants before they get to be at least a 1.5' tall this time.  Anyway, onto the latest pictures taken this evening.

Trinidad Butch T Scorpion

Bhut Jolokia

Habanero

I have lots of pods on the TS and the Bhut but the Hab's are a bit behind in the production area.  I am still going to cut them and hang them though.

LowDrag said:
Well...I finally am getting off my ass and posting these pic's.  Here are my Trinidad Scorpion, Bhut Jolokia and one of my Hab's.  I am going to do as suggested above and cut them off at the stock and hang them upside down so they can get ripe.  One question though.  Do I need to have them under the grow lights for this to work or just hang them in the basement?  I would take the plants in and over winter them but the sugar ants seem to like my hot peppers so they are not coming inside.  As far as starting a new crop I am going to start the end of December this year.  I am also NOT going to prune my plants before they get to be at least a 1.5' tall this time.  Anyway, onto the latest pictures taken this evening.

Trinidad Butch T Scorpion

Bhut Jolokia

Habanero

I have lots of pods on the TS and the Bhut but the Hab's are a bit behind in the production area.  I am still going to cut them and hang them though.
You just hang them in the basement. 

As for timing the seed germination,which some newer growers are unclear on, 16 weeks before the final frost for chinenses, 8 weeks for all others.  Not knowing for certain when the final frost will be, I allow a cushion of 1-2 weeks.  In other words, I will plant chinenses closer to 18 weeks prior to the last frost, and 10 weeks for all others.  In southern Oregon, with the recent warmer weather pattern, I'm going with May 1 as the plant out date.  Chinenses seed will be sown mid-December, all others no later than March 1, since they grow fast anyway. 

Roguejim said:
You just hang them in the basement. 

As for timing the seed germination,which some newer growers are unclear on, 16 weeks before the final frost for chinenses, 8 weeks for all others.  Not knowing for certain when the final frost will be, I allow a cushion of 1-2 weeks.  In other words, I will plant chinenses closer to 18 weeks prior to the last frost, and 10 weeks for all others.  In southern Oregon, with the recent warmer weather pattern, I'm going with May 1 as the plant out date.  Chinenses seed will be sown mid-December, all others no later than March 1, since they really grow fast anyway. 
Roguejim hits a home run with this advice!

Last year I started all my seeds in Jan and this seemed to cause a problem with the Annuum's, as they all started flowering inside while they were still quite small and seemed to stunt them for the rest of the year.   All the Chinense's seems to do well, but my Jalapenos, Fresno's,Cayenne's, even my Aji Panca's were stunted this year and never seemed to recover.  Normally these plants are quite prolific but not this year.  Next year I will definitely start the Annuum's later so they are not overly mature before I get to planting them in the final spots, either pots or the garden.

At least that was my experience this year where I started everything at least a month earlier than last.

Thanks for the heads up Jim.  Next question.  Can I dehydrate pods after putting them in the freezer to wait for more pods to ripen?

As for timing the seed germination,which some newer growers are unclear on, 16 weeks before the final frost for chinenses, 8 weeks for all others.  Not knowing for certain when the final frost will be, I allow a cushion of 1-2 weeks.  In other words, I will plant chinenses closer to 18 weeks prior to the last frost, and 10 weeks for all others.  In southern Oregon, with the recent warmer weather pattern, I'm going with May 1 as the plant out date.  Chinenses seed will be sown mid-December, all others no later than March 1, since they really grow fast anyway.

Great advice Jim!

My schedule this next season is going to run a few weeks late due to travel plans, I guess I'll seed the week before we leave and hope for the best. As we'll be out during the Christmas week to visit relatives. Goal is a plant out March 15th-April1st, depending on the weather. A few weeks later than in the past, but the chinenses never crank up until mid April anyways..

I am having a hard time cutting my plants.  I really like the Christmas ornament look to the pods hanging off the branches.   ;)

Some pic's from today:

Some pods I harvested yesterday and today.

Harvesttime9-27-14_zpsffe56fb3.jpg

My pickling setup outside on the deck...Happy wife, Happy life!!!

20140928_151843_zps8fc0ca30.jpg

Here are some of the Banana Peppers I pickled today.

PickledBananaPeppersbatch2_zpsaa785afc.jpg

This has been a nice grow log, Jim.  If yow decide to do it again next year,
I'll try to be a more consistent poster.  I'd like to scale down my own glog a bit  :rofl:

Back