• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

The Philster Splatocaster Rebuild

Phil said:

You can chock, 'em, I suppose. I ain't no Dimebag Darrel or Jeff Hanneman, so I won't be doing any dive bombing on that tremolo

As long as the knife edge pivot is in good shape, a properly adjusted FR holds tuning amazingly well with no real need to block it. Just don't put the handle on if you don't use it.
HopsNBarley said:
BTW the amp you're playing through makes absotivley, posilutely no difference. They are all made of wood, make use of a speaker and use electricity to power the circuitry.

Getcha Pull!

ROFLMAO.

I knew those people at Soldano were just trying to rip us all off with their insane prices.

I have a FR on my Carvin and they are OK I guess although I rarely use it.
What I hate about them though is you have to change the spring tension if you change brand or gauge of strings or if you drop tune.

Proud Marine Dad said:
I have a FR on my Carvin and they are OK I guess although I rarely use it.
What I hate about them though is you have to change the spring tension if you change brand or gauge of strings or if you drop tune.

PMD, I often times don't  agree with you, but I do on this one.

I use FR on guitars that I don't change tunings on. I have a Schecter C1 Hellraiser with a tunomatic bridge that I use for alternate tunings. Just today, I was in drop C#, drop D, and E standard. All within a half hour or so. (my all time favorite pedal is the tuning pedal).

Jeff H said:

PMD, I often times don't  agree with you, but I do on this one.

I use FR on guitars that I don't change tunings on. I have a Schecter C1 Hellraiser with a tunomatic bridge that I use for alternate tunings. Just today, I was in drop C#, drop D, and E standard. All within a half hour or so. (my all time favorite pedal is the tuning pedal).
I hear you Jeff. I guess you need three or four guitars with FR bridges so you can cover the bases. ;)
Lots of bands like Metallica and others drop tune a half step like many blues-men do right? I would like to play along with the MP3s I have on my computer but it's too much hassle as you know all too well.
I was hoping to someday get another guitar that I could drop tune for this purpose but I guess I could use my SRV signature Strat as it is dropped tuned a half step for blues.

Proud Marine Dad said:
I hear you Jeff. I guess you need three or four guitars with FR bridges so you can cover the bases. ;)
Lots of bands like Metallica and others drop tune a half step like many blues-men do right? I would like to play along with the MP3s I have on my computer but it's too much hassle as you know all too well.
I was hoping to someday get another guitar that I could drop tune for this purpose but I guess I could use my SRV signature Strat as it is dropped tuned a half step for blues.

Both of my LP's, both V's, and Squier Tele are in standard a half step low for vox reasons. 

Even with the Bigsby's (with the exception of my R4 which is sans Bigsby) it ain't no 'thang.

My LP Jr. is tuned to open G for blues and rock slide sheeit.

Ain't no such 'thang as too many guitars.

And the new 2015 Gibson's with the G-Force tuners?

Don't waste your money.

Junk.

texas blues said:

Ain't no such 'thang as too many guitars.

Phil said:
 ^^^^ That......

^^^^2nd that. I have an American Strat headed my way as I type this. I don't really have a guitar suited for the blues, and I don't have TB's budget for a LP with P90s, so this will do nicely. Pics in the other thread when it gets here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv6J2aQo2rk

Same here for budget....But I do have a Gibson Melody Maker with a P90 in it... but I don't believe that counts. However, it was a very generous gift from my sister and brother-in-law, so I love it.

As far as having a guitar suited for the blues, I can't say I have one either. I have the Ibanez AX120, the Gibson MM, and the Loar archtop. But I have good things to say about my Boss Blues Driver pedal... it helps give a good tube-like sound to any rig

Roguejim said:
A blues rig.  '62 MIM Reissue Strat loaded with Van Zandts, wound by "the old man".  TB gets it.  Oh yeah...a '59 tweed Deluxe. 

Check out these "blues amps":
http://www.vintage47amps.com/

It ain't about the budget.

Some 'thangs you just gotta' have to live.

A '59 Tweed Deluxe.

That's Jesus' HIs Bad Self' Amplificadaore.

Jesus also plays a '54 Goldtop.

He told me.

True story.

Here you go, PMD. Check this out. Thought it might interest you.

Ash vs Acrylic including blind A/B audio samples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vgwaiScrwA

Phil said:
Here you go, PMD. Check this out. Thought it might interest you.

Ash vs Acrylic including blind A/B audio samples
Interesting but this is not a comparison of different woods. I agree with the comment below the video by a reader named, "Whit" who had some good points.
I want to see several Strats of different wood types with accurate electronic measuring equipment. The human ear hears too many variations that may or may not be there.

Proud Marine Dad said:
The human ear hears too many variations that may or may not be there.

But humans listen to music not machines. So doesn't that matter? Sometimes I taste a wine and taste apple or chocolate, but a machine would tell me I'm wrong, however, if I look the wine up it might say apple and chocolate notes.

Trust your ear my brother! It's how you listen to music. Stats this stats that. Takes the joy out of it. 

The Hot Pepper said:

But humans listen to music not machines. So doesn't that matter? Sometimes I taste a wine and taste apple or chocolate, but a machine would tell me I'm wrong, however, if I look the wine up it might say apple and chocolate notes.

Trust your ear my brother! It's how you listen to music. Stats this stats that. Takes the joy out of it. 
That may be true for taste but in this case we are talking about an electronic signal not taste buds.
Physics can prove things like this but is useless when it comes to food or drink as it has no way to measure that.
If we rely on our ears only we will never know the truth as people perceive things differently for many reasons.
Let me also add that after an artist records a song and the mixing and mastering come into play the original sound of the guitar is pretty much irrelevant even if "tone wood" did exist. ;)

Really? So you've never "felt" music or heard stuff in it that isn't actually there? You need some good records man. 

Proud Marine Dad said:
If we rely on our ears only we will never know the truth as people perceive things differently for many reasons.

Nothing wrong with that! Take my wine example. If a wine has chocolate notes, and there is no chocolate in it, but people taste it, so it is perceived, then what is wrong with that? A computer could spit out a stat and call you crazy. Enjoy the wine. Enjoy the music. Let your ears tell you what you like. Not a computer.

Maybe a stat doesn't lie but it will also tell you frequencies you can't even hear on a record. I say open your ears and enjoy. Some people like their tone and swear by it.

I was going to follow the video post with a comment saying....... I simply can't hear a difference. Hat tip to you, PMD. If the difference is so minute that it takes a machine to pick it up, then is it really that much of a difference? I posted the video as a way of saying you may have a point.

The Hot Pepper said:
Really? So you've never "felt" music or heard stuff in it that isn't actually there?

LSD  was great for that..... years ago! I swear, the best albums I ever heard were Hendrix and Pink Floyd's "The Wall" movie while hopped up on trippies. I swear, you could see the music coming from the speakers! Those days are long gone for me, though.

Back