• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The thread of Creepy Crawlies

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looks like a type of hoover fly. I have some on my Flickr page.
I initially thought he was a bee but I think your right. Apparently the offspring of some species eat aphids and thrips, which is good news as this guy must have had to eat like a mother ****** to get that fat. : )

Here are a few I shot in my yard.

5867637805_b20b754b3c_b.jpg

5850269769_6b162dddf4_b.jpg

Check this dude out with mite and all.

5983379142_c7c9227489_b.jpg

That mite is pretty crazy, I bet even bugs hate bugs.

Found a whole herd of these bastards swarming the artichoke plants my community garden neighbor is growing. Does anyone know what they are and should I nuke their plot from orbit before they come eat all my beans and peppers?

EDIT: Looks like they are called Leaf Footed Bugs and these are what they look like in the nymph stage. It looks like they will feed on tomato & pepper fruit....time for a healthy dose of genocide :)
http://ipm.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/success_stories/T&PGuide/pdfs/Chapter4/Stink&Leaffooted_Bugs.pdf

a9oUCPr.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I have those too, I think they are baby assassin bugs. A wonderful item to have in the yard. 

Apparently they look really similar & I was hoping they were assassin bugs. Looks like you can tell the difference easily because leaf footed bugs are gregarious whereas the assassin bugs tend to be loners. 

TXCG said:

Apparently they look really similar & I was hoping they were assassin bugs. Looks like you can tell the difference easily because leaf footed bugs are gregarious whereas the assassin bugs tend to be loners. 

I believe only the adult assassin bugs tend to be loners.  

Hrm, good to know about the baby assassin bugs. I'm still pretty sure these are the leaf footed bug nymphs based on the little black spikes on the abdomen that seem to be missing from the assassin bugs. That and the fact they're tearing up those artichokes. Do assassin bug nymphs feed on plants or do they feed on bugs like the full grown ones?

Leaf footed bug nymph:
leaf-footed-nymph-600.png

Assassin bug nymph:

a89c38.jpg

Sweet pics Joyner, love the super macro pics... All of mine are from my celly so yea not even close to yours...

Was walking around the yard today taking pictures of the pepper plants, and decided to check on my flowers as well. I have 2 SunPatiens next to each other, one of them was looking pretty grim. Upon closer inspection:

8954284224_b69fd205a0_c.jpg

I was just about to pluck off the spent flowers too.

I was flipping over leaves to see if I could ID the culprit behind the holes when this little guy scurried out and started flexing at me. I'm pretty sure he's already taken care of the mystery leaf eater.

4KBSpRG.jpg

This guy wouldn't sit still long enough for me to get a good closeup. Pics don't really do the iridescent royal blue color justice but here they are anyway :) I'm pretty sure this is some sort of parasitic wasp. 

VxZDr5i.jpg

ulG6hQ7.jpg

My buddy's been having hell with scorpions this year, he was stung 3 times in the past month alone. Despite the fact that scorpions are really common in this area I haven't personally seen very many so I decided to buy a UV flashlight and take it out to his house for some scorpion hunting. 

I got this flashlight for $12.40 off Amazon. It feels pretty well made & it's plenty bright. Scorpions light up really well which is exactly what I bought it for so for less than $13 I give it 5 stars.

What's that hiding under this plank of wood?
fhOmmJq.jpg

A really shy scorpion. It kept wanting to hide under loose debris so I had to poke it with a stick for science. 

mC9gk49.jpg

Here's his slightly bigger & significantly more pissed off friend.

fCXoEs2.jpg

Edit:  Bonus youtube vid. 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-XpMwkJa24[/youtube]

Back