• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The thread of Creepy Crawlies

17510_4894339960722_497734942_n.jpg

The grasshoppers around here don't mess with leaves.They chew the stems of the peppers and the bark/green later off the stems and branches of the plants.
Crickets do the same thing.
I think they have a deal with the loopers,caterpillars get the leaves and hoppers get the rest.

NO GOOD!
I think I read the young guys shed the old shells.
It might have just shed and is hardening off it's shell or something.

http://greeneryday.hubpages.com/hub/-Facts-about-a-grasshopper-one-of-amazing-insects-that-live-around-us

Molting

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/media/18448/A-grasshopper-molts-shedding-its-outer-layer-and-leaving-a

Grasshopper life cycle

They will be mating at start of summer, and follow by laying eggs under sands in the mid summer.

The eggs will hibernating and going through autumn, winter, back on the first cycle which is the early summer (10 months after mating), they will hatch and turn into nymphs.

These young grasshoppers don’t have any wings developed, their size will be increasing within ten days, at the same time wings are developing.

Within 30 days, the young grasshopper will evolve into an adult, and about 15 days later they are ready to mate again. In average a grasshopper can live up to 1 year of age

Sounds about right... it's huge. I was in the main garden and it crash landed in the tomato plant that was right next to me. The video is of me playing with it.

Ok here we go again folks, Was walking up to the front door of my house and spotted this bee stuck in a web next to the Light fixture... 

IMAG1203_zpse585fcde.jpg

I know not the best of quality but its works for me... Taken with my HTC One SV cell phone...

IMAG1198_zps1bdd3f37.jpg

We've been having an unseasonably wet week for July and I believe the wildlife is getting confused. Are these some kind of frog/toad egg? I've never seen anything like this in the garden before. I found it last night, at first in the low light it looked like a curled up caterpillar, the clear part looked green. I tried to squish it and it stuck to my finger & that's when I noticed there were quite a few of them scattered about on the tops of leaves. I took a few of them home & stuck them in a mason jar with some filtered water for science. I also found another one this morning & stuck it under the microscope.

bJS1uWJ.jpg

EFww5pP.jpg

A3l7dlz.jpg

5RH1dXE.jpg

TXCG said:
We've been having an unseasonably wet week for July and I believe the wildlife is getting confused. Are these some kind of frog/toad egg? I've never seen anything like this in the garden before. I found it last night, at first in the low light it looked like a curled up caterpillar, the clear part looked green. I tried to squish it and it stuck to my finger & that's when I noticed there were quite a few of them scattered about on the tops of leaves. I took a few of them home & stuck them in a mason jar with some filtered water for science. I also found another one this morning & stuck it under the microscope.

Neat. Maybe its raining frogs?... supposedly it happens... maybe the end is near for you Texans? :rofl:

theghostpepperstore said:

Neat. Maybe its raining frogs?... supposedly it happens... maybe the end is near for you Texans? :rofl:

80 degree highs & rain in July...Frogs falling from the sky...I think you're on to something!

Back