• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

The UNLUCKY SQUIRREL made by scott Zalkind owner of LDHS

Well Scott, I am almost finished with yet another bottle of LDHS... I am not going to try to sweet talk a bottle of the squirrel sauce out of you, but just know, if you do decide to make it commercially, you can expect an order from me. I have been very impressed with the red and orange labels. I get weird looks when I pull it out of my pocket at restaurants around town, but it is well worth it. ;)

Another great sauce by Scott. I really love how the garlic shines through on all of the sauces. tho the unlucky squirrel seemed to have a little less garlic flavor than i would have wanted. great roasted pepper flavor as to be expected. personally when i hear "Jonah" i expect an 8 or a 9 on heat and this one to me was not quite that hot. maybe a 7. very pleasant and easy to eat. had some friends try it (jeff and jason). they loved it. I also will be getting some of this if it comes into production. bravo Scott on yet another great sauce.

Thanks Jarret - just a 1st attempt/prototype. Much more experimentation before its a "product". I tend to be a tinkerer & perfectionist - I won't release it until it's:
1. A solid 8.5 or higher in heat
2. More garlicky
3. Retains the same balance of sweet-salty-tangy while achieving #s 1 & 2.

I expect there to be more test batches reasonably soon. :cheers:

I am considering a powder to up the ante a bit.

i suggest using both fresh and roasted 7 pods. to retain more heat from the 7 pod. and yes more garlic. cant get enough in our house ;)

nice review JHR - I think you're spot on (and I've said already) that this wasn't anywhere near as hot as I wanted/expected.

I think it's about a 6.5, right about on par with the LDHS Orange - but next batch will be hotter. First experiment and all.
:cheers:

Tell your dad he rocks. lol!

nice review JHR - I think you're spot on (and I've said already) that this wasn't anywhere near as hot as I wanted/expected.

I think it's about a 6.5, right about on par with the LDHS Orange - but next batch will be hotter. First experiment and all.

Tell your dad he rocks. lol!
Absolutely, I understand .I expected to have more criticisms on the taste, but dangit it was just tasty!

Ps - 10/10 - yeah! I was pretty excited about the flavor myself. I think those Jonahs have a spectacular taste and I was super stoked that I was able to capture that taste.

Next batch I'll double the superhot content and see what happens. Will likely make U.S. Mark II in a week or 2 (figure I'd best do it while the pods are still in season). I'll keep y'all posted. As a thank you for the feedback I will keep a number reserved for those who've taken the time to help with their opinions here. I really appreciate it.

I cannot imagine anyone rating that a 2/10.

If so you're seriously damaged. Hot sauce reviewers have given my Orange a 6.5/10 (should be up to 7-7.5 in next batch) and this was hotter than that.

Not sure if your heat sensors are busted or you're tryin to be macho, but I am not in agreement with 2/10 claim.
:rofl:

Not trying to brag, or be macho... Let me put it this way, my mom ate some, and said "oh... thats not hot". She is burned by pablanos still, and warily eyes my jalapeno poppers...

I would as well, great flavor :) little heat.

I ran out realllly fast... I was at my cousins house in Cary for a few days, and EVERYONE loved it. Then we took the little I had left camping, and it was gone before we were done camping. Fortunately I had brought a bottle of the sauce I make.

I just received your orange label and love the roasted flavor. Tried it some some Chicken Satay and its awesome stuff. Will definitely be getting these as gifts.

That's fantastic - thanks for your order and so glad you enjoyed it!

Big news coming for the Orange, Green and Red Label production sauces.
:woohoo:

I'm just waiting for more unlucky squirrel to become available so I can place an order with you Scott. I made some spinach and cheese omlettes with it this morning, really goes well with eggs! goes well with everything actually, I've taken to rationing my bottle, only the deserving dishes get some squirrel!

Good plan - you'll never have it again. You may get to try another version of it, but that exact saue? Nope.

Never say never though - maybe I can do a mild and a hot using specialized peppers.

Jonahs are just too damn expensive though, so while it was a great experiment I'm not that likely to do use these peppers.

I think a red Savina sauce would have a similar flavor quality...I'll have to experiment.
:woohoo:

what do a pound of Jonah's go for?

Also, as the harvest season picks up, prices drop... I bet a box is cheaper today, than it was when you made the sauce.

I was thinking about the heat. I wonder if it had something to do with the record heat wave going on in NC at the time the bottle was shipped? The day it arrived the temp was like 102... before heat index.

I ate the pods raw - they were quite hot. Hotter than a habanero by a fair stretch.

I tamed it with jalapeƱo quite a bit but I did taste tests side by side with my Orange Label and the heat was comparable - about a 6/10 (the new batch of Orange Labrl is hotter) - I think it was just balanced enough to fool your taste buds is all.

No way that was a 2/10. Others in here have agreed that it's 6/10, so right now you are in the minority with that assesment. You're talking the same heat as my Green Label at 2/10 and that's just not the case.

It's not a big deal, but I think it's kind of amusing.

I too have run out. I tried to make somewhat of a clone by myself, but alas it's not as good. Admittedly, I did not roast my peppers and garlic, and I used a few different ingredients. It is a great tasting sauce, but it can't compare to the Unlucky Squirrel. Scott, please don't change the flavor when you go to production. Please!!!

Edit: Scott that should give you an indication of how awesome this sauce tastes. I think my "clone" tastes pretty darn awesome in itself, but yours still blows it away.

Thanks comp - really appreciate the kind words.

I'm not destroying the recipe so there's a possibility that I do a "mild" and "extra hot" version of this - but production costing what it does, I'll take it slow and work on the extra hot for now. I still have no ETA and it may take a year or longer to bring it to market.

I'm just glad y'all enjoyed my experiment so much - it's the 1st batch I've made at home since I went into production and was a lot of fun to make. A lot of work, but the best things are worth the effort I always say.

Back