spirits The Whisky Thread

Hahahahahaha, the joys of being a mod, bloody smartass!!
You really made my day you bastard :) (albeit a friendly and kinda nice bastard)....

I'm a big fan of Laphroaig, and all the other Islay whiskeys as well. As a non-whiskey drinking friend of mine commented when he smelled the 10 y.o. Laphroaig: "it's smells like the ruins of a burnt down house" :lol:

An earlier colleague of mine had a bottle of 30 y.o. which he let me have a try on. Wow, that's whiskey! Too bad it cost $500+ here in Norway :!:

mmmmmmmmmmmm Peat smoked whisky!

Im in love with my Lagavulin 16 year. Oh the Peat!

Next purchase will be a botle of Oban 14 year. Cant waitto try that one :)

cheers

This is my current collection (from top left)
Edradour 'Straight from the cask' Port wood finish 12 year old 57%ABV
Springbank 10 year old (a gift I'm not a peat whisky fan)
Inverey 12 year old
White & Mackay Marriage Special (wedding favour) miniature.
Aberlour 10 year old
Highland Park Un-Chillfiltered vintage 16 year old 46%ABV (bottle 453/810)
Johnnie Walker Red Label
Edradour 10 year old miniature(on top)
Dalwhinnie 15 year old Present for reciting Burns at a wedding :)
The Glenlivet 12 year old
Old Pulteney 12 year old
Glenmorangie 10 year old
Glenfiddich 21 year old Gran Reserva
Pittyvaich vintage 1976 28 year old (bottle 285/293)
Edradour 10 year old (20cl)
3833270690_6065518079.jpg

Moyboy how much of a dent have you made in the collection you listed originally? :P

oh my god Lally you are my new best friend.......:lol:

Hey have you opened the Glenfiddich 21 year old Gran Reserva....what does it taste like???? I still haven't opened it......

The list I had has grown and grown so I need to re list it all with pics.... My collection now ranges in the area of $6000

I'll take pics tommorrows....I've hit the port ellen a bit to much tonight and seeing things in double......:lol:

moyboy said:
Hey have you opened the Glenfiddich 21 year old Gran Reserva....what does it taste like???? I still haven't opened it......

It's a lovely drop, you can taste molasses from the rum cask, really smooth, open it :P I've got about 1/4 of the bottle left...

I have a wee confession to make the (probably) best of the bunch Pittyvaich is finished but I just don't want to get rid of the bottle. It's a silent still so there's no replacing it, it sells for quite a lot now I believe but whisky is for drinking :cheers:

moyboy said:
My collection now ranges in the area of $6000

The interweb tells me that's about £3000 :shocked: The most expensive bottle I've bought is the Pittyvaich at £50 and what a bargain that was, the grand reserva was £40 on sale at an airport down from £60.

Glenfiddich 21 year old Gran Reserva.....o0

Wow, you rock the hootch...and you're a chile-diggin' scientist who likes Firefly?

Hmm, where do I sign up? ;)

QuadShotz said:
...who likes Firefly?
First I thought 'how does he know that?' Then I thought
'it must be in one of my chilli pics in the background.' The I had a look at the pics and can't see it anywhere :shocked: where are you? :scared:

Heh, I just googled ya.

No worries, I just happened on a link...nothing weird going on.

Apologies if I was too curious.

No worries I was just curious how you knew, I have no shame in liking Firefly it was ace. What sire was the info from?

When I try googling myself :blush: I get a load of crap about other people well done on finding out random crap about me :)

I can't recall for sure, but i think it was facebook.

Myself, I'm a bit of a sci-fi nutter. I had a pathologist for a dad and he was very much into alternative sciences and sci-fi. So, I grew up on it.

(lovvved firefly and serenity btw)

Ha, I even just downloaded "Stargate SG-1: Children of the Gods - Final Cut" to watch later on... ;)

cheers,

QS

I just recently perchased a bottle of 25 year Port Ellen and i do believe when i get back from working OS, im going to get another to put away to crack at my kids wedding (there 5 and 3) seeing as you cant get it any more. And its sooooooo nice!

One good thing about working OS is Duty Free single malt at the airport!!!!!!!!!!

I love it!

cheers

all i have really tried for whisky is cheaper rye and its horable i dun like rye i'd take a rum over rye any day... maybe when i get better off ill start going into the more expensive booze but as it stands a broke man is not a drunk man. unless that is you go broke from drinking...

I opened a bottle of MILTONDUFF 10 Year Old Gordon & MacPhail the other night and for a slightly cheaper bottle of single malt it was bloody nice.

Very leathery with caramel under tones, and a bit of a sweet after taste.

I got the bottle through a whisky club and i'm glad I did because it's a very nice drop and you can't actually get this stuff over the counter in Australia.....

Moyboy if you ever visit Scotland and travel up the A9 stop off at the Edradour Distillery, they've got an amazing shop where they sell not only their own stuff (which is excellent) but rare silent stills stuff and things like the unchillfiltered Highland Park (at the time HP didn't sell one themselves I don't know if they do now).

They've also got a tasting bar where you can pay from £1 to £10 to have a 25ml nip of lots of the whiskies they sell. Some of the bottles cost hundreds so it's a nice way to get a taste :)

did you only just open your bottle of Miltonduff ?????

I think mine is almost gone.

Not a bad drop but not my favorite.

I will be at the Duty free shop at the airport in 11 hrs. I hope they have a good selection at Cairns.

cheers

BillyIdle said:
I'm a big fan of Laphroaig, and all the other Islay whiskeys as well. As a non-whiskey drinking friend of mine commented when he smelled the 10 y.o. Laphroaig: "it's smells like the ruins of a burnt down house" :lol:

An earlier colleague of mine had a bottle of 30 y.o. which he let me have a try on. Wow, that's whiskey! Too bad it cost $500+ here in Norway :!:

Laphroaig quarter-cask, best scotch in the world (Homer Simpson gargling noise)

Back