• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2017 GLOG

Now that it is almost time to plant out, I figured I'd start up my GLOG for the year. I've cut out almost all superhots this year, and am growing solely peppers I regularly cook with. Here is a link to my glog last year:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60119-thegreenchilemonsters-2016-grow/

I did a good job documenting my grow last season, but I plan to give more regular updates this year. I'm growing more veggies this year too, so I needed to free up some space in my garden. Here is the list for the year. All of these are either OW plants or well established seedlings.

Aji Limo
Aji Mochero
Aji Amarillo
Aji Pacay
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Largo (Pubescens)
Aji Oro (Pubescens)
Rocoto Rojo Arequipeño
Rocoto Oculto
Red Peruvian Rocoto
Giant Red Rocoto
Giant Yellow Rocoto
Rocoto Peru Cusco
Mini Red Rocoto
Large Red Rocoto
Turbo Pube
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Carolina Reaper

I'll start posting pics and updates as soon as I start planting out over the next few weeks. There may also be some veggie and home brew pics in this GLOG throughout the season.

The Hot Pepper said:
Wow! Great grow! Nice aji mocheto. I see big jims behind the mini rocoto.
Thanks! Those pods you are referring to, behind the mini rocoto are actually aji pacae. The pods are as big, or bigger in some cases than big jims. Aji pacae is a Baccatum, and a cousin of the aji amarillo. The main difference between the two is that that aji pacae has a sweeter flavor than aji amarillo, and the pods are up to about twice the size as an aji amarillo.

I was able to pick these ajis before work this morning. There are many more to pick, but I ran out of time.

Attachments

• 20170808_091405.jpg
    20170808_091405.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 33
GhostPepperz said:

outstanding. You know I have never grown ajis yet? How are they for flavor and heat?
Their flavor and heat can be fantastic, depending on the variety.

The ajis I have pictured in that harvest are all Peruvian Capsicum Chinense cultivars.

Many people in the States use the blanket term aji to mean Baccatum, but there are quite a few Chinense ajis as well. The word aji means pepper in South American spanish, so that is why you will see the word aji before it's type, for most, if not all South American cultivars that come from a country other than Brazil.

In Portuguese the word for pepper is pimenta, which is why you will see many pepper varieties from Brazil start with the word pimenta.

The only Baccatum aji varieties I'm growing this year are aji pacae, and aji amarillo.

Hey, between you and Malarky  think I have a mystery solved!

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/64271-an-interesting-mysteryfor-me/

These were mixed in with some aji amarillos seed that PaulG mailed me, Matt suggested they were aji limo, and now that some are starting to turn purple near the calyx, I look at your pix and believe we have a confirmation!

Mine have been flowering for an age, but only recently started setting fruit--

20638904_332892987159993_5876600918701820526_n.jpg

tctenten said:
I planted from the seeds you sent me. Could be the best tasting raw pepper I have ever had.
Glad to hear those seeds worked well for you. I agree with you, the miraflores yellow rocoto pods are juicy and delicious! The have an interesting sweet melon type flavor to them, that I really like, plus a pleasant burn.

stettoman said:
Hey, between you and Malarky  think I have a mystery solved!

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/64271-an-interesting-mysteryfor-me/

These were mixed in with some aji amarillos seed that PaulG mailed me, Matt suggested they were aji limo, and now that some are starting to turn purple near the calyx, I look at your pix and believe we have a confirmation!

Mine have been flowering for an age, but only recently started setting fruit--

20638904_332892987159993_5876600918701820526_n.jpg
That definitely looks a lot like an aji limo plant, and aji limo pods.

OCD Chilehead said:
Great haul Dale. I will definitely try growing some frutescens and pubescens next year. Love the colors. Now, I'll just have to see what's good to grow. Decisions, Desisions. LOL!

Congrats!
Thanks. Your garden is looking great this season as well! PM me your addy, and I'll send you over some Pubescens seeds, if you're interested.

Back