• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2017 GLOG

Now that it is almost time to plant out, I figured I'd start up my GLOG for the year. I've cut out almost all superhots this year, and am growing solely peppers I regularly cook with. Here is a link to my glog last year:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60119-thegreenchilemonsters-2016-grow/

I did a good job documenting my grow last season, but I plan to give more regular updates this year. I'm growing more veggies this year too, so I needed to free up some space in my garden. Here is the list for the year. All of these are either OW plants or well established seedlings.

Aji Limo
Aji Mochero
Aji Amarillo
Aji Pacay
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Largo (Pubescens)
Aji Oro (Pubescens)
Rocoto Rojo Arequipeño
Rocoto Oculto
Red Peruvian Rocoto
Giant Red Rocoto
Giant Yellow Rocoto
Rocoto Peru Cusco
Mini Red Rocoto
Large Red Rocoto
Turbo Pube
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Carolina Reaper

I'll start posting pics and updates as soon as I start planting out over the next few weeks. There may also be some veggie and home brew pics in this GLOG throughout the season.

These aji amarillo plants are getting loaded with pods.

Attachments

• 20170810_175431.jpg
    20170810_175431.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20170810_222733.jpg
    20170810_222733.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 44
Rocoto rojo arequipeño. This plant blew over during a thunderstorm last week, and snapped the stem almost all of the waya off...it was hanging on by a thread. I re staked the plant, and sinched up the stem with tomato twine as tight as I could. The plant has somehow recovered completely, and is podding up quite nicely. I'm really amazed it isn't dead right now.

Attachments

• 20170810_223125.jpg
    20170810_223125.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20170804_195639.jpg
    20170804_195639.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170810_223153.jpg
    20170810_223153.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20170810_223205.jpg
    20170810_223205.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 44
Here are my two different aji limo plants. One ripens green, then straight to red. The other goes through a multitude of color changes, before ending with red. The pods on both plants have the same great flavor, shape, and burn.

Attachments

• 20170810_225709.jpg
    20170810_225709.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170810_225647.jpg
    20170810_225647.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 46
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Here are my two different aji limo plants. One ripens green, then straight to red. The other goes through a multitude of color changes, before ending with red. The pods on both plants have the same great flavor, shape, and burn.
I loved that aji limo last year  :drooling:  from the seeds you sent (thanks again)
looked just like your top plant of the  green-red ripening one 
it was one of the ones that got destroyed by the hail this year :mope:
but it will be in next years grow, I'm going to plant extra  :party:

all your plants are looking great, and that snapped pubescens is a trooper i'd have thought it was a gonner
keep up the great work :clap:

:cheers:

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
I loved that aji limo last year  :drooling:  from the seeds you sent (thanks again)
looked just like your top plant of the  green-red ripening one 
it was one of the ones that got destroyed by the hail this year :mope:
but it will be in next years grow, I'm going to plant extra  :party:

all your plants are looking great, and that snapped pubescens is a trooper i'd have thought it was a gonner
keep up the great work :clap:

:cheers:
Bummer to hear you lost your aji limo plant to hail. They are some very tasty pods.

That rocoto plant really is a trooper. I didn't know if the surgery I did onit would work, but it's been a week, and the plant is still flowering, and podding up quite well. I've grown that plant for three seasons, so I was going to be sad to lose it. I may have to start it from seed again next year, though, because OW that split trunk will probably be pretty tricky. I wonder if the trunk will fuse together after a couple of months. It will be interesting to find out.

Here is a harvest from this morning. There are plenty more that are almost ripe, that I'll probably pick this Tuesday/Wednesday.

I'm still waiting paitently for some giant yellow rocotos to ripen. They seem to take forever to ripen, like well over a month so far, once fully grown.

Attachments

• 20170813_104547.jpg
    20170813_104547.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 48
Bhuter said:
Wow! Just catching up here, Dale. Things look amazing! And what a bounty! Great haul! Pretty excited to try my first Pube. But I'm not banking on them ripening soon. You say they take forever to ripen. I see you've got some supers to enjoy in there, as well. Fantastic!
Thanks! The smaller sized rocotos usually ripen quicker, but it seems like the larger the Pubescens pod, the longer it takes takes to ripen.

tctenten said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_8781.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_8782.JPG

I have never grown anything that has the color changes. Still hard to believe it is going to go red. Have you ever tried one while it is yellow?
Badass! Those are going to stay yellow. The aji limo changes to either red or yellow when fully ripe. I have only ever grown the red pods, but then again, I OW the same 2 plants every year. Those seeds I sent you were from an isolated plant. That aji limo plant was sandwiched between a bunch of rocoto plants. The only yellow aji limo pods I've eaten are the store bought frozen ones, and the ones in the jar. They have the exact same flavor as the red ones. Please save some seeds, if you don't mind. I would like to try growing some out to see if they turn out yellow also.

Attachments

• inca-foods-aji-limo-mixed-hot-peppers-glass-jar-20oz-1.png
    inca-foods-aji-limo-mixed-hot-peppers-glass-jar-20oz-1.png
    281.7 KB · Views: 46
Back