• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2017 GLOG

Now that it is almost time to plant out, I figured I'd start up my GLOG for the year. I've cut out almost all superhots this year, and am growing solely peppers I regularly cook with. Here is a link to my glog last year:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60119-thegreenchilemonsters-2016-grow/

I did a good job documenting my grow last season, but I plan to give more regular updates this year. I'm growing more veggies this year too, so I needed to free up some space in my garden. Here is the list for the year. All of these are either OW plants or well established seedlings.

Aji Limo
Aji Mochero
Aji Amarillo
Aji Pacay
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Largo (Pubescens)
Aji Oro (Pubescens)
Rocoto Rojo Arequipeño
Rocoto Oculto
Red Peruvian Rocoto
Giant Red Rocoto
Giant Yellow Rocoto
Rocoto Peru Cusco
Mini Red Rocoto
Large Red Rocoto
Turbo Pube
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Carolina Reaper

I'll start posting pics and updates as soon as I start planting out over the next few weeks. There may also be some veggie and home brew pics in this GLOG throughout the season.

Devv said:
Nice haul Dale, your garden is going strong!

Impressive pubes there, do you stuff the red rocotos? Mine are coming back around, mother nature wasn't kind to them the last of August.
Thanks!

Yes, I usually stuff the larger rocotos, amd make sauces like crema de rocoto and llajwa with the smaller ones. Pubescens also freeze and thaw really well, due to their thick flesh, and juiciness, so I freeze a bunch of them in zips for the Winter and Spring.

Malarky said:
once frozen are the big rocotos still good for stuffin?
what llajwa?
Yes, once frozen the big ones are definitely still good for stuffing. You have to freeze them whole, though, so no seed saving.

Llajwa/llajua is a rocoto sauce made in Bolivia with rocoto, tomatoes, and quirquiña. It's really good stuff. It's a good alternative to the crema de rocoto from Peru.

Man, I love this time of year!!!

Attachments

• 20170919_180731.jpg
    20170919_180731.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 51
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Thanks man! Many people don't like okra due to the slimy factor, but when cooked right, it can be the star of the garden. I haven't had any Indian dishes with okra, but a good friend of mine is from Bangladesh, and they use a lot of okra in their dishes.

+1 on that! I love Okra as long as it isn't frozen or overcooked. Any chance of you posting your Rocoto jelly recipe Dale? I have a couple of frozen packages that need to be processed.
     Cheers!

stickman said:

+1 on that! I love Okra as long as it isn't frozen or overcooked. Any chance of you posting your Rocoto jelly recipe Dale? I have a couple of frozen packages that need to be processed.
     Cheers!
I follow this recipe posted a few years back to a T. It comes out perfect every time. I do sometimes take out two-three cups of sugar from the recipe, and add sweet fruit to compliment the rocoto.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58085-red-rocoto-jelly/?fromsearch=1

Here are pics of my most recent batch. I used a bag of de seeded frozen aji largo, guatemalan red rocoto, and mini rocoto from my garden last year for this recipe.

I picked some fresh aji largo, guatemalan red rocoto, and mini rocoto this morning, since they were ripe, and also because I thought it would be a neat photo op, pictured fresh in front of jelly made with their frozen brethren from last year.

Attachments

• 20170924_154755.jpg
    20170924_154755.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170928_092453.jpg
    20170928_092453.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 52
Thegreenchilemonster said:
I follow this recipe posted a few years back to a T. It comes out perfect every time. I do sometimes take out two-three cups of sugar from the recipe, and add sweet fruit to compliment the rocoto.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58085-red-rocoto-jelly/?fromsearch=1

Here are pics of my most recent batch. I used a bag of de seeded frozen aji largo, guatemalan red rocoto, and mini rocoto from my garden last year for this recipe.

I picked some fresh aji largo, guatemalan red rocoto, and mini rocoto this morning, since they were ripe, and also because I thought it would be a neat photo op, pictured fresh in front of jelly made with their frozen brethren from last year.
Muchisimas Gracias Dale! I know what I'll be doing tonight... [emoji6]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Malarky said:
:party:

I, myself, am saving up all my yellow/orange rocotos for your passion fruit recipe. I found the same puree you used at my grocer!
Nice! That maracuya pulp is a perfect combo with aji oro!

I'm making some jelly right now. I just got done with a batch of aji oro/peru bitdumi/miraflores yellow rocoto jelly.

Next up is aji mochero and guava jelly. I'm using both the yellow and orange phenos.

Attachments

• 20170928_135744.jpg
    20170928_135744.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 60
Back