• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2010 Grow Log

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2010 Grow Log

Put the seeds in the dirt today. Trying to get a total of about 30 plants across 9 types. Ordered all my seeds from pepperjoe.com this year. Assuming some will die.

Here's the list:
Hot Banana
Long Red Slim
Charleston Hot
Turkish Cayenne
Hot Caribbean
Atomic Starfish
Tabago Seasoning
Giant Jolokia
Scotch Bonnet

Here's where they will live (hopefully) over the next few months:
IMG_2842_s.jpg
IMG_2843_s.jpg

The larger plants on the right are my overwintered Jolokias. Grow On!

Nice pepper beds. Love the Giant Jolokia pod pics.

Thank you.

I'm looking forward to trying a ripe one. I tried a green one and it had maybe 25% - 30% of the heat of my normal jolokias. They are definitely getting bigger than the normal jolokias so if they add just a little more heat by ripening they should be great. I may even overwinter one of them.

One more update specific to the bhut jolokias. For those of us in coler climates with shorter seasons getting a decent harvest can be challenging. I had two over wintered jolokias. I kept them growing all winter...12 - 16 hours of T5 light per day. I cut them both back around December. Starting in late Feb (2 - 3 months before move out) I let one of them go...no more pinching flowers or cutting anything back. I kept pinching the other and cut it back again about a month prior to move out. I was curious if new growth from the cut back plant would exceed the "old" growth on the one I left alone. While it's still early the old growth plant is kicking butt in terms of size and production. It has almost 50 pods right now and the one I cut back has 14.

The one on the left is the one I left alone. The righty is the cut back:

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

(rail behind plants is 40 inches)

I'm going to keep an eye on this for the rest of the season. If not cutting back can help get more peppers I'm all for it. I lost more than I harvested last year because it was october and almost all of my jolokias (the ones in the garden anyway) were still green...and it was snowing:(

Bonsai pepper trees :rofl: great job. I am planning to over winter several Bonnets and Habs this year.

TPGM...very cool that you did the side by side comparison on the growth rates of the two. I plan on overwintering a few plants and apprecite your foresight. ;)

TPGM...very cool that you did the side by side comparison on the growth rates of the two. I plan on overwintering a few plants and apprecite your foresight. ;)

Here are a few updated shot of the overwintered jolokias:

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

Some of the early ripening pods look weird but all the pods that have formed since it was moved back outside look normal. Still has that same kick you in the mouth heat level regardless of pod shape.

Made from yesterday's harvest...hot sauce with atomic starfish, bhuts and a few long reds. My first ever attempt at making hot sauce so fingers crossed that it's edible and screaming hot:hell:

IMG_3215.jpg

here are two of my harvests from this pas week.

In this one I have some mystery peppers (some sort of hab cross), long reds, tabago, starfish, hot charlestons, bhut jolokias, 1 giant jolokia, a chocolate hab, orange habs and hot bananas.

IMG_3234.jpg

this one has a lemon jolokia, chocolate jolokia, red jolokia, caribbean red, long red, mystery pepper, hot banana, tabago and atomic starfish.

IMG_3226.jpg

Here's today's harvest. Starting at the tip of the knife we have orange habs, a chocolate hab, atomic starfish, 2 mystery peppers, hot charlestons and red caribbeans.

IMG_3241.jpg

Here's my Saturday harvest...soon heading to the dehydrator:

we have some orange habs, mystery peppers, long reds, bhut jolokias (runts!), hot caribbeans,, hot charlestons, hot bananas and atomic starfish.

IMG_3244.jpg

Back