• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2011 Grow Log

Here's what I am starting with this year, seeds went in the dirt today :dance:
More will be started when it gets a little closer to being able to put them outside.

giant jolokia
jonah 7 pod
chocolate jolokia
7 pod brain strain
doughlah
caribbean red
pimenta de neyde

img_3888.jpg

Thanks. They make things a lot easier. I rotate all the plants about once a week to give them different light and when it comes to carrying plants outside and back in April/May leading to plant out they cant be beat.

Thanks. I think May 15 is the "official" date but I'll start carrying them in and out as soon as the weather permits and if May's looking nice will put them out full time the first week of May.

Thank you sir. Just trying to keep up with some other great grows...like yours :cheers:

Only about 6 weeks till' they move to their new homes!

Looking good Jeremy. All 13 of my Giant Bhuts are still going strong. I need to slow them down a little because they're getting too big for the red cups and I'm still at least a few weeks away from going outside here in containers and maybe 3 weeks + from dirt. I'll get some pictures up soon.

Any updates going on here? Your plants were beginning to get huge two months ago, how do they look now?

I have been slacking. Happens every year...the weather sucks and I'm on the forum getting my pepper fix and the weather gets nice and I'm outside all the time. My plants have had the crap kicked out of them over the past two - three weeks. Hail, cold, wind, heat. They are surviving and in some cases starting to thrive. Next post will have updates w/pics.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

It took a few months but I finally got around to snapping some pictures. Weather in Illinois has been interesting this year...hail, wind, 90+ degree days followed by days it only gets to 60, rain, couple nights with frost....fun. I planted out mid may. It wasn't until just a week or two ago that things really started kicking into gear.

Garden 1
Has some cayennes, giant jalapenos, black jalapenos, chocolate habs and orange hab and a pimenta de neyde. This garden has some crappy soil I've been restoring and only gets about 6 hours a day or direct sun.

img_4367.jpg

The black jalapenos look pretty cool. Flowers are really purple and so are the pods. Even the seeds on the inside of the pods have a purple hue at this point. Ants like em' too.
img_4368.jpg

img_4369.jpg

Garden two is next...

Garden two has a compost pile, some potatoes that sprung up from the compost pile, 2 brain strains and 2 fatalis.

img_4373.jpg

7 pod brain strains
img_4371.jpg

Fatalis

img_4372.jpg

Garden 3 up next

Garden 3 has a T. Scorp Morouga and what was supposed to be another T. Scorp Morouga that I'm calling a Trinapeno since it's not looking like a scorp :rofl: Also in the garden is a chocolate bhut that i put in the top of a small compost pile, 2 Caribbean reds, 2 7 pod douglahs, 2 7 pod jonahs and 2 chocolate bhut jolokias.

img_4383.jpg

The not a T Scorp, AKA Trinapeno
img_4376.jpg

Chocolate bhut, compost style
img_4378.jpg

Caribbean reds
img_4379.jpg

Douglahs - the stumpy one took a real pounding from the hail.
img_4380.jpg

7 pod Jonahs
img_4381.jpg

Chocolate bhuts
img_4382.jpg

Garden 4 up next

Garden 4 has 4 chocolate bhut jolokias and 6 red, aka giant, bhut jolokias.

img_4386.jpg

The 4 chocolates
img_4384.jpg

The 6 red bhuts
img_4385.jpg

Despite kind of a slow start things are taking off and the season's going well. All of the varieties I really wanted survived and, fingers crossed, looks like it should be another great season.

:cheers:

Things are looking good man. You got any Giant Jolokias in there?

Thanks man. Yes, all of my red jolokias were grown from seeds from last year's giants. Have 6 of them total. Sometimes I call them reds, other times it's giants. No idea, why, might be tied to beer consumption! :beer: Did any of the seeds I sent you sprout for you this season?

nice looking plants. i had the same problem with the weather - the hail beat the crap out of my plants too. good luck with the rest of the season.

Thanks. I know you and I share the same weather, it's been fun huh? Maybe we can swap some pods later this year.

Your plants are doing very well.

It looks like your weather made for some nice, thick, stocky stems. :)

Thank you. The weather really fattened them up. It's just been in the last 7 - 10 days they have finally started to put on some height. Who knows how the ones in garden 1 will turn out. They are basically growing in clay and rocks and don't get enough light. Time will tell I guess.

Your garden gives me to something to aspire too. I subscribe to your thread and always enjoy your updates. You really poured on the pictures today :)

I like the fencing to keep the critters and other curious bipeds out ;-)

Dogs and kids my friend...neither of which has much respect for the plants. My dogs would rip those gardens apart without them.

Oh yeah, I think I put about 20 down and 18 sprouted for me. I have 6 plants growing right now in various stages of life. I am super excited about these things this year, thanks again.

Been about 10 days, time for an update :lol:

Garden 1 continues to do ok. Bad soil + not much direct sun = I'm happy with whatever comes out and so far it's been good. Have already been eating some of the black jalapenos. Cayennes are coming in nicely and a few of the giant japs are forming pods.

img_4389.jpg

Garden 2 includes my compst pile and just has 4 pepper plants, two brain strains and two fatalis. Brain strains are from cappy and fatalis are from my neighbor. No pods on any of these yet but it won't be more than a few days now. Fence is two feet tall for perspective. There's a pepper plant in the compost pile...more on that in a minute.

img_4391.jpg

Garden 3 had a T. Scorp Morouga and what was supposed to be another T. Scorp Morouga that I'm calling a Trinapeno since it's not looking like a scorp. Turns out neither of them are actually T scorps so I ripped them both out and composted them. One of them (pictured earlier in this thread) had lon peppers with no tatse and zero heat. The second started forming pods and looked exactly like the Brazilian starfish I grew last year. Not a bad pepper but not all that great either so it got ripped out and pitched to the compost pile. Orrevs what happened brother, both of those plants came from your seeds and were in the same pack :cool: The Pimenta is growing true but I'm wondering about the other seeds you sent...

Also in the garden is a chocolate bhut that i put in the top of a small compost pile, 2 Caribbean reds, 2 7 pod douglahs, 2 7 pod jonahs and 2 chocolate bhut jolokias.

img_4392.jpg

BigT, those Jonahs you sent me are in garden 3 and doing awesome. Starting to pod up...

img_4393.jpg

Garden 4 has 4 chocolate bhut jolokias and 6 red, aka giant, bhut jolokias. Really happy with both strains this year, all came from my own (and neighbors) seed stock. Looking like once again they will be my largest plants and fingers crossed they produce like they did last year.

img_4394.jpg

A baby chocolate bhut pod

img_4395.jpg

A baby giant jolokia pod - early pods alwasy have weird shapes and I thought this one looks kind of cool. Looks like it has little scorp in it but I didn't grow any of those last year. Odds are it will grow true and future pods will look a little more "normal".

img_4396.jpg

Grow on fellow pepper growers :cheers:

Back