• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Tomato Talk

habman, the top 5 do not have to be from my list they should be whatever your own top 5 are or top10. Would you care to trade some of the Green Zebra for the Aunt Ruby's German Green? I only have about 15 seeds but i'll split them with you.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
habman, the top 5 do not have to be from my list they should be whatever your own top 5 are or top10. Would you care to trade some of the Green Zebra for the Aunt Ruby's German Green? I only have about 15 seeds but i'll split them with you.

Dale

yeah I know but your list is spot on!
The only thing missing is sungold.

Sure let's make a trade.
I'll add a few seeds of sungold too.

Pm sent :)

habman said:
Would trade for :
----------------
eva purple ball
black cherry
Opalka
banana red (forgot the name)
Aunt Ruby’s German Green

how the hell will I grow all those seedlings?:(

I should have extra black cherry but I'm likely low on Opalkas but I'll check. The Opalkas have a very low amount of seeds

Last Season's tomatoes

Ok to rate last year's...

1. Black Cherry: Grew well, prolific, very poor taste

2. Marianna's Peace: Grew poorly, few ripe fruits, problems with splitting and blossom end rot, taste excellent

3. Mexico: Average growth and production, very tasty fruit

4. Box Car Willie: Excellent growth, prolific up until temps skyrocketed. Very tasty fruit. One plant did have trouble with early blight.

5. Bloody Butcher: Poor growth, poor production, ok fruit

6. Stupice: Great early tomato, usually have ripe fruit in May without a greenhouse. Very tasty smallish fruits

7. Amelia: Dependable grower and producer, average taste. TSWV resistant.

8. Brandy Boy hybrid: Average growth, had some trouble with early blight, excellent production, tasty fruits, but not as good as the real Brandywine.

9. Abraham Lincoln: Huge plants, average production, excellent fruit

10. Ponderosa: Average growth, average production, very tasty fruit

11. Uncle Mark Bagby: Good growth, had some trouble with early blight this year, excellent production up until the extreme heat hit, very tasty fruit.

12. Mule Team: Excellent growth, steady production right up until frost, tasty fruit

13 Nepal: Very bushy growth, average production up until extreme heat, tasty fruit

14. Tropic: Very tall viney growth, great production, picked ripe fruit in December after long drought and several frosts, tasty fruit

15: Yelllow Current Tomatoes: All volunteers, grow like crazy, produce like crazy, excellent taste, but be sure fruit is ripe for best, sweetest flavor.

POTAWIE said:
Has anyone tried German Red Strawberry? I've heard many good things but haven't grown it yet.

*sigh*

There are so many out there that sound so good. That's why I get in trouble with catalog fondling. And now you're dangling yet more temptation in front of me, cause now I'm I'm going to have to go and look that one up to see what it is.

You're a pal, Potawie.

I want to try making my own tomato sauce / paste this year so am growing a few different varieties of paste tomatoes to see which one I like best.

Paste Varieties

DeBarro II -Siberian
Belstar
Classica Hybred
Hally 3155
Heinz 1439
Heinz 1350

For Salads, etc

Galina - Siberian - Cherry tomato
Applause
Polar Baby

Beefstake types

Omar's Lebanese
Ispolin - Siberian

Pam, I am dissapointed that you did not like the Black Cherry i have seen alot of good reviews on it and I was thinking that it was a for sure thing for my garden this year. What is it that you did'nt like about it. Remember i have not grown any toms other than one or two varieties from HD.

Dale

For me it was a mushy texture and just not a great flavor, hard to describe but Its also my neighbor's favorite

*shrug*

Black Cherry just didn't have much flavor. I grow mostly heirlooms, the only hybrids are because I don't want to be caught tomato-less if we have a bad TSWV year. Heirlooms have such great flavor that the Black Cherry lack of flavor really stood out.

Well then, now you have me wondering if there may be a better choice to take that ones place. Could I get some suggestions out there for some cherry toms if you guys don't mind. I would like it mainly for taste but uniqueness would be a plus. Is there a striped cherry tom?

Dale

Hey Pam, did you get your Black cherry seeds from tomatogrowers. Apparently they have their own exclusive variety, which might vary from what's been reccommended by many people.

POTAWIE said:
Hey Pam, did you get your Black cherry seeds from tomatogrowers. Apparently they have their own exclusive variety, which might vary from what's been reccommended by many people.

You know, I don't remember? Probably, as I almost always order from there. I like their variety of Corno Di Toros a lot.

Let me get a bit more caffeinated and think about this. I remember the description nattered on about it being the first true black cherry.

Who else carries them?

Edit and Addendum: Ok, I just read the description at Tomato Grower's Supply.

"Black Cherry #6148 (20 seeds) $2.85
This is the first truly black cherry tomato we've found, and our own exclusive variety. It is not a plum, but a perfectly round cherry with classic black tomato flavor, sweet yet rich and complex. Fruit picks clean from the stem and is produced in abundance on vigorous, tall plants. These cherries are irresistibly delicious and a unique addition to the color spectrum of cherry tomatoes now available. Indeterminate. 65 day"

That's the ones I grew.

thepodpiper said:
Well then, now you have me wondering if there may be a better choice to take that ones place. Could I get some suggestions out there for some cherry toms if you guys don't mind. I would like it mainly for taste but uniqueness would be a plus. Is there a striped cherry tom?

Dale

Black cherry is it or miss from what I've read. Those who like it swear it's the best cherry ever.
Tomatoes are very sensitive to growing conditions and the taste can vary greatly from year to year.

If you want to play safe I would recommend :

Sungold - very prolific and very sweet

Sweet 100 / Sweet Million - very prolific a bit less sweet then sungold

Red currant - wild variety very prolific and a bit tart and strong taste.

But for sure try the black cherry.

I'm still looking for a tomato that will do well in a high altitude (5,000' +) and an arid climate. Two years running, I've had really crap tomatoes...lots of blossom end rot, small fruit, tall but crazy looking plants.

Since I grow peppers everywhere in the yard, I have two 1/2 wine barrels for tomatoes for my wife to try to enjoy. I'd really like to give her some good plants this year.

DevilDuck said:
I'm still looking for a tomato that will do well in a high altitude (5,000' +) and an arid climate. Two years running, I've had really crap tomatoes...lots of blossom end rot, small fruit, tall but crazy looking plants.

Were you fertilizing them with Miracle Grow, too? Try some of the fertilizer the nursery guy gave you for your peppers.

Another suggestion is to go to http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/ and register. You can do searches on what varieties other gardeners are growing in your area.

Thanks! I checked it out and did a search. Lots of really good information there, just not what I was looking for. I guess I better make a trip over to that nursery that saved my pepper crop last year. They really know about our crappy "desert dirt"...even though where I grew my tomatoes didn't have any native soil.

Back