• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Tomato Talk

I had about four volunteers from last year, probably Big Boys or Beefsteaks. I let them go since I got a late start planting the seedlings I was growing. This one plant is not the tallest but a few inches, it's only 52 inches. But it is loaded with toms, at least 25 now with lots of blooms still present.

If nothing happens to the plant and all the tomatoes ripen so I can harvest them, I'll have at least a bushel from just it. It's one of about 60 plants, though most of the others are nothing like this plant.

tom87.jpg

Mike

Damn, all these pics make me wish I had the space to grow some this year. Well, at least I've got sth to look forward to! :)

Looks good wordwiz. Looks very much like a much taller plant, too.

My Brandywines are about that big Potawie and one is finally starting to blush -- but now Im afraid with all this rain I am starting to get spots on the leaves and yellowing -- I am going to look for a fungicide or something to help the Toms look great though

Try a copper based fungicide like "Bordo." If you require multiple treatments you should rotate between copper based and sulpher based or they(fungii, mold etc) can build up and breed resistance. I've even heard of the copper based being used early on as a preventative measure.
I might just give mine a spray tonight if it isn't raining.

POTAWIE said:
I've heard of using powdered milk for added calcium, and am thinking of trying it this year
hey POTAWIE
another product to consider:
Neptunes Harvest Crabshell
NPK/2-3-0/ @23% calcium
100% organic
excellent soil/garden amendment.
i need to get more for next season too.

pablo

when i grow up i need a greenhouse...

my tomatoes are so sad this year, i've had two so far :( everything's still green. come back mr sun! plus i've been away more than i've been here so i haven't been neurotically fussing over them, which they apparently like...

i use hen manure, it's apparently high in calcium and some critters don't like the smell. putting your eggshells in the compost apparently works too but i don't eat that many eggs.

i had two volunteers this year but they sprung up in the strangest places they don't get a lot of sun and aren't even flowering yet, i don't know what to do about those...

POTAWIE said:
Try a copper based fungicide like "Bordo." If you require multiple treatments you should rotate between copper based and sulpher based or they(fungii, mold etc) can build up and breed resistance. I've even heard of the copper based being used early on as a preventative measure.
I might just give mine a spray tonight if it isn't raining.

Thanks Potawie -- I'll look for it next time Im at the store. I picked one BrandyWine so far I havent tried it yet -- I just want this rain to stop so they (tomatoes) wont split on the vine.

Back