• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

tommys south texas glog '15--FINAL GROW LIST FRONT PAGE 2/9/15

Well after a few months of research and advice from the fine folks here at THP, I'm happy to start my very first glog!

I started the day by building a stand for my lights, now I'm thinking I may need another ballast.
After I set up the stand and lights, I laid down some foam, then my heat mat.
I filled my 7 cup station with MG seed starter and watered in. After mixing the soil around I laid in my seeds.
*Yellow Primo
*SB7J
*Carolina Reaper
*Greek Pepperoncini
*Bush Big Boy Tomato Hybrid
*Pequin x2
I laid saran wrap over top and tried my best to seal it, but saran wrap and I have never seen eye to eye.
Programmed the timer on the light, 18 on, 6 off, going on from 5pm to 11am. I know lights aren't necessary at this point but what the hell.
Should be getting more seeds in the mail soon, so I'll be setting up a bigger station after that. And now for something we hope you'll really like!
Message_1421953912608_zpsmrdto8ew.jpg

20150122_184648_HDR_zps07xlznyh.jpg

20150122_184716_HDR_zps8wjgaqvo.jpg

The station to the right isn't active yet, thinking I may get another mat for it, especially since I found a place locally that sells them.
Thanks for checking out my glog, wouldn't be possible without y'all!

UPDATE 2/9/15: Here is my final grow list, but first, a very special thank you to the following members:
orekoc
jcw10tc
withywindle72
d3monic
dougthehead
transient exuberance
bucdout57
jimbo53

Thanks to all of you for sending me seeds to get me started!

Now here is my final list in order of rounds planted

Round 1 Planted 1/22

Tepin
Greek Pepperoncini
Carolina Reaper
SB7J
Yellow Primo

Round 2 Planted 2/2

Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Bhut
Yellow Brain Strain
Yellow Giant Congo
Yellow Moruga
Bahamian Goat
Carolina Reaper
TM Scorpion
Giant Orange Habanero
Bido Tacana
Murupi Amarela
Caribbean Antillais Habanero
Bonda Ma Jacques
OW Ghost Scorpion
OW Moruga 
9 mystery seeds

Round 3 Planted 2/9

Cayenne x Peter
Red Fatalii x Savina
7 Pot Congo
Caribbean Red Habanero
Mystery Red Moruga
Yellow Spaceship
Chocolate Devils Tongue
7 Pot Caramel
Monster Naga
Peach Scorpion
7 Pot Bubblegum
Yellow Cumari
Cumari Du Para
Mustard Bhut
Purple Jalapeno
Mustard Habanero
Datalii
Yellow Bhut
Little Big Red
Tabasco
Datil
Bolsa De Dulce
Aji Pineapple
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Aji Omni
Orange Wild Brazil
Paper Lantern Habanero
Jays Peach Scorpion
Chocolate Habanero
Sweet Datil

Oh yeah it hasn't stopped for more than an hour at a time. We were forecast for a half inch. My back yard is flooded.
And I just put my OW plants back out there too. Gonna have to drill some drainage holes

twilliams386 said:
Well after a few months of research and advice from the fine folks here at THP, I'm happy to start my very first glog!I started the day by building a stand for my lights, now I'm thinking I may need another ballast.After I set up the stand and lights, I laid down some foam, then my heat mat.I filled my 7 cup station with MG seed starter and watered in. After mixing the soil around I laid in my seeds.*Yellow Primo*SB7J*Carolina Reaper*Greek Pepperoncini*Bush Big Boy Tomato Hybrid*Pequin x2I laid saran wrap over top and tried my best to seal it, but saran wrap and I have never seen eye to eye.Programmed the timer on the light, 18 on, 6 off, going on from 5pm to 11am. I know lights aren't necessary at this point but what the hell.Should be getting more seeds in the mail soon, so I'll be setting up a bigger station after that. And now for something we hope you'll really like!
Message_1421953912608_zpsmrdto8ew.jpg
20150122_184648_HDR_zps07xlznyh.jpg
20150122_184716_HDR_zps8wjgaqvo.jpg
The station to the right isn't active yet, thinking I may get another mat for it, especially since I found a place locally that sells them.Thanks for checking out my glog, wouldn't be possible without y'all!
Nice set-up. I hope you have success with the peat cups. Frankly, I've never heard anything good about them.

Roguejim said:
Nice set-up. I hope you have success with the peat cups. Frankly, I've never heard anything good about them.
Thank you. I'm hoping they work out, but the skeptic in me will be planting duplicates just in case.

If you were to change anything, I would suggest getting rid of the peat cups asap.  I haven't heard anything either.  I never used them myself but read a lot of people with problems with them last year.  I never liked them after buy plants at the store with them.  They say you can plant them, then at the end of the year I would have tiny plants and the roots never really went outside the peat.  It didn't decompose in the sole like they say it will.

Hope the seeds you got from me work out.  Can't remember if I sent your yet or not, but have sent all that I received SASBE from.  Had too many going, too hard to keep track.

jcw10tc said:
If you were to change anything, I would suggest getting rid of the peat cups asap.  I haven't heard anything either.  I never used them myself but read a lot of people with problems with them last year.  I never liked them after buy plants at the store with them.  They say you can plant them, then at the end of the year I would have tiny plants and the roots never really went outside the peat.  It didn't decompose in the sole like they say it will.

Hope the seeds you got from me work out.  Can't remember if I sent your yet or not, but have sent all that I received SASBE from.  Had too many going, too hard to keep track.
I just sent your sasbe this morning so it should be there about Monday.
But come to think of it, I had the same problem with some herbs last year. Shit. I'll transplant them into cups as soon as they sprout.

Thank y'all for the heads up, I completely forgot about this.

Roguejim said:
Peat "pellets" are very popular, and have served me well. A sheet cake pan w/lid is a cheap, but effective germination chamber, holds a lot of pellets, and fits well on a heat mat.
For this setup Would you just put the pellets straight in the pan then water the whole pan? Or individually drop water onto pellets?

twilliams386 said:
For this setup Would you just put the pellets straight in the pan then water the whole pan? Or individually drop water onto pellets?
I put 3 or 4 pellets in a bowl of warm water, and make sure they are completely hydrated before putting them in the pan.  I don't completely seal the lid on the cake pan, either.  My first year I bought a $2,50 pan, but it began to rust.  So, this season I bought a non-stick pan/lid ($6.50).  Just to be safe I laid down a single sheet of Saran wrap on the bottom.  That's probably not necessary, but this pan will last years.  Believe it or not, a Pyrex dish with lid also works in a pinch. 

I just saw something on one of the seed websites (maybe bakers or pepperjoes) that said use of peat pellets will void warranty. They claim the pellets aren't any good. But I've seen a lot of ppl here use them, so why the nasty claim?

Another question, should the peppers sleep the same time I do when they sprout? Or does it really matter? I have the lights off from 11am to 5pm right now. But I'm thinking maybe they should get used to the daylight schedule for the future?

I've used the peat pellets (Jiffy) for a few years and have had decent success. As soon as the plants stand up I move them to solo cups, and bottom water for the most part.

So I checked my OW plants today, been about a week since pruning. Haven't got much sunlight in that week, but if I'm not mistaken I think we have new growth forming!
20150123_190141_zpsklrmgh9m.jpg
[/img]

Also checked the germs, we have our first sprout coming in!

20150124_230007_zpswwsfpvlv.jpg
[/img]

Granted this pequin did have a head start from the paper towel on the router, but it's been only 6 days since I put it on the router, 2 days in soil on the mat.
So stoked for a coty!!

Looking good, I second ditching the peat cups. I've had mold issues every time I tried them. Same with the peat pellets. I've had some success with the pellets but less than I would like. 

Got some action!
20150125_190912_zpsb9tqkbbi.jpg
[/img]
Pequins popped up to say hey!
Other cup has helmet head on both though. Gave them each a couple drops of warmish water, gonna keep track of them and see if they can shake the weight on their own. Also keeping plastic wrap over them until they can pop off. As soon as they do I'll get them out in the open.
20150125_190933_zpsembrb31e.jpg
[/img]

Updated my rig a little today. Added another light, so now I'm running 4 32w 6500k t8s for 11000 lumens.
20150126_142405_zpsffpjgykw.jpg
[/img]

Also rigged up a diy heat mat out of incandescent rope light, a slab of leftover lumber, and some old quarter round I ripped out back when I redid our floors. It ain't pretty, but it does put out about the same heat as the mat for less than half the price.
20150126_142505_zpsgfjacqps.jpg
[/img]

I Also successfully pinched the helmet heads off, so I put my two cups of pequins and my tomato cup to the side, in small solo cups to raise height and catch moisture.
20150126_142615_zpsphld6dpl.jpg
[/img]
20150126_142640_zpsd5stb4l5.jpg
[/img]
20150126_142656_zpskquqogub.jpg
[/img]
20150126_142428_zpsckmjk02b.jpg
[/img]

Still waiting on reaper, yellow primo, sb7j, and pepperoncini to sprout. Should be comin along any day now. Hopefully by the time they sprout I'll be getting more seeds in the mail to set up my next germ station.

Back