• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Pepper

Hey guys. Really wanted to grow some hot peppers this year. Decided to order some seeds off amazon, and sure enough they germinated within 10 days using the wet paper towel method. So far, these guys have been alive for 12 days and are out on the back deck soaking up the Georgia sun.

Really hope to track the progress even further and get some really nice, mean, looking peppers !

vj2j3z5.jpg
m437zCj.jpg
Z09q44x.jpg
vWSuePk.jpg

KingLeerUK said:
I have made salsa with a few of the early pods, de-seeded, and it turned out quite tasty with a lingering burn.  I did try one whole pod (a small one) for the experience and it was like I crashed my face into a lit Weber grill.  I only got to enjoy about 5 seconds of "flavour" before the heat overwhelmed everything.

And then there was milk, milk everywhere.
Lol, damn. Your sig's awesome, dude.

• Transplanted Reaper and Jolokia to 5 gals
  • Been watering the scorpion peppers with fish tank water, since there seems to be a good amount of nitrogen in there to promote growth.
  • Some people might be against using insecticides, but I had to use some "Seven" powder....those things were just eating away at the leaves and almost consumed an entire scorpion...
QICjcjJ.jpg
19mMNZY.jpg
8FvXVwv.jpg
fXgABAb.jpg

Freshwater aquarium water is great stuff...it's what I run my aquaponics with :). I take the waste solids from the swirl filter and add it to my raised bed.

Sucks about the pests...there are some pretty good organic soaps worth looking into.

More pics

Culantro - The secret ingredient to any Trini recipie. You guys need to try this when making a sauce.

VfK4Pyy.jpg

Morugas

nrX7ain.jpg

UDMRD5x.jpg
kBNPbCp.jpg

IKeepFish sent me some seeds couple weeks back. I picked a packet by random out of the 4, dude. So heres the yellow scotch bonnets so far.

MjpQpKZ.jpg

REAPER

JgFxsJs.jpg

zlR4WBN.jpg

OneHighJedi said:
IKeepFish sent me some seeds couple weeks back. I picked a packet by random out of the 4, dude. So heres the yellow scotch bonnets so far.
Lol, are those the MoA ones? 

Reaper seems to be doin better...

Runescape said:
Lol, are those the MoA ones? 

Reaper seems to be doin better...

Dunno. Would be sick if they were. I was locked on that thread Denniz has when I found out Fish was sending me some scotch bonnets .

Yea, the reaper is doing fine. You know about anything that can be brought locally, or anything household, that could be substituted for calcium? I know using epsom salts cure  magnesium defiency..

Hey man I'm late to the party but wanted to wish you luck. Welcome aboard. This is a great site full of great advice and our climate is perfect for peppers. Will be following along.

Great score on those superhot starts... None of those in the nurseries around me.

maximumcapsicum said:
Hey man I'm late to the party but wanted to wish you luck. Welcome aboard. This is a great site full of great advice and our climate is perfect for peppers. Will be following along.

Great score on those superhot starts... None of those in the nurseries around me.

Thanks man. Hopefully I do things right and they fruit by august/september....But with your experience in growing superhots, would it be alright if I pinch off the flowers, when the plant is in its first bloom, but keep 1 or 2 on so they grow into pods? Like is it worth it in the long run to grow 2 peppers now and not suffer dramatic yield loss by the end of the season?

OneHighJedi said:

Thanks man. Hopefully I do things right and they fruit by august/september....But with your experience in growing superhots, would it be alright if I pinch off the flowers, when the plant is in its first bloom, but keep 1 or 2 on so they grow into pods? Like is it worth it in the long run to grow 2 peppers now and not suffer dramatic yield loss by the end of the season?

I have a season and a half under my belt... still a rookie by THP standards for sure. Given this point in the season however, I would probably let your chinenses set fruit as soon as possible, especially the one you topped. I pinch buds when I get an earlier start, it helps to get them to put out more leaves. But I stopped pinching around mid-March for my largest Bhuts, and their pods are only reaching their full size now. So if you get some fruits set now, they should ripen around the end of August. That said, the chinenses don't seem to slow down when they put on fruit the way annuums do, so I think it's safe to let them set fruit.

Now if you have annuums going, you have more leeway for pinching buds. I'd remove them until you get a good fork or two then let them set fruit. Remove fruit as you want to use it. An annuum will pump a ton of energy into one or two pods if you let it... it's nice to get a bunch of fruit set before letting it ripen.

This is all very tenative advice... I'm sure other THPers will have other ideas as well.

Happy growin'!

OneHighJedi said:

:high:  My bad man. I was toasty last night lol .
The only bonnets I have are chocolate bonnets, I have only ONE plant of them right now--I lost a lot of seedlings because of the super dry winter and never restarted some varieties.  Perhaps I can send you some when my plants are in full production. :)  If I remember correctly, I think I send you seeds for yellow 7 pots though, maybe that's what you thought they were?  The Jamaican mushrooms are often confused, even by vendors, to be a chinense strain though.  They're rather f'n hot for an annuum.

Here's a pic of what the dried pods look like, they originated from Jamison.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/Psyclonix/image201406030001_zps225e6c19.jpg

ikeepfish said:
The only bonnets I have are chocolate bonnets, I have only ONE plant of them right now--I lost a lot of seedlings because of the super dry winter and never restarted some varieties.  Perhaps I can send you some when my plants are in full production. :)  If I remember correctly, I think I send you seeds for yellow 7 pots though, maybe that's what you thought they were?  The Jamaican mushrooms are often confused, even by vendors, to be a chinense strain though.  They're rather f'n hot for an annuum.

Here's a pic of what the dried pods look like, they originated from Jamison.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/Psyclonix/image201406030001_zps225e6c19.jpg

Still have no idea where i got scotch bonnets from.

I actually did plant the 7 pot too. It's doing pretty well, but growing super slow.

But those yellow mushrooms are growing fast. They sprouted up pretty quick and grew to about 1.5 or 2  inches in like a day.

Oh dude by the way. Have you ever tried this? I eat this thing like ketchup haha . Very nice flavour, with a hot but really bearable burn.

1423SP-2T.jpg

After 3 weeks, since I bought it, the Bhut is getting up there :party:

wPyNBZo.jpg

rdSIQeb.jpg

Peep the Pine

LOw8J8F.jpg

The Topped

uEJBLgI.jpg

And the baby Scorpion that almost didn't make it due to bugs eating 3 sets of new growth. VERY proud of this guy.

QCsX0ex.jpg

OneHighJedi said:

Still have no idea where i got scotch bonnets from.

I actually did plant the 7 pot too. It's doing pretty well, but growing super slow.

But those yellow mushrooms are growing fast. They sprouted up pretty quick and grew to about 1.5 or 2  inches in like a day.

Oh dude by the way. Have you ever tried this? I eat this thing like ketchup haha . Very nice flavour, with a hot but really bearable burn.

1423SP-2T.jpg
Can't say I've ever tried that one!

I eat El Yucateco's Salsa Kutbil-ik like ketchup.  I used to love cheap old Louisiana Supreme until my capsaicin tolerance built up...and I realized it only tastes like vinegar XD.  So does Texas Pete.

ikeepfish said:
Can't say I've ever tried that one!

I eat El Yucateco's Salsa Kutbil-ik like ketchup.  I used to love cheap old Louisiana Supreme until my capsaicin tolerance built up...and I realized it only tastes like vinegar XD.  So does Texas Pete.

Dude that stuff is awesome.

And yea, thats why when I go out to eat, I pile on the hot sauce to whatever. My friends look at me like I'm crazy sometimes lol

Back