• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2013-2014 ...its weird and wonderful ... for now..

GA Growhead said:
I went a bit white crazy this season, but held off on the white bhuts after the previous years white bhut that were floating around that weren't white at harvest. Definitely want to add them next season after seeing everyones!
White fatalii sounds killer too! Will be watching to see how they do for you!
Its always hard not to go crazy with the great varieties around ... I hope the white fatalii is as Good as it sounds ....
So everything is planted in jiffy pellets after the seeds were soaked for what ended up being 24 hrs or so for all but the white fatalii which was soaked for only 6 hrs or so. They are in the heated propagator and last check the jiffy pellets themselves (temp probe is in one of the jiffys) were sitting around 29C degrees. Not too bad..,

I know some people don't like or haven't had great success with jiffy pellets, but i like them! Always have the best germination rates with them too. I like freedom to move them around too.
Great success wishes! Will be keeping my eyes open for the first to pop!

GA Growhead said:
I know some people don't like or haven't had great success with jiffy pellets, but i like them! Always have the best germination rates with them too. I like freedom to move them around too.
Great success wishes! Will be keeping my eyes open for the first to pop!
I think the biggest thing with jiffy pellets is they need a little attention just to make sure they are dialed in moisture wise. This doesn't work for some people but my natural ocd/methodical nature makes them perfect for me as I am likely to check on them 3-4 times a day regardless if they need it or not ... Often just to see that they haven't somhow disappeared ;) :D

Trippa said:
I think the biggest thing with jiffy pellets is they need a little attention just to make sure they are dialed in moisture wise. This doesn't work for some people but my natural ocd/methodical nature makes them perfect for me as I am likely to check on them 3-4 times a day regardless if they need it or not ... Often just to see that they haven't somhow disappeared ;) :D
Haha, thought you were describing me for a second..:)

Trippa said:
Not only will it be a refreshed grow list but a reboot and revision of my growing technique , with a decision to change quite a few things I was currently doing to ensure more production and healthier plants.
I will divulge my ideas on my grow setup later and get on to my current goings on

I am all ears :D

I have a feeling I will get early germination this season for some varieties. I got my temperature dialed in perfectly straight away and its only fluctuating a max of 1-2 degrees from about 29-30c (a little warm for my liking as I ideally like it to stay about 28 but at least its stable which I find is the big thing)
Big thing now is keeping moisture steady .
Once I get some pops I will get a few shots (note to self get a macro lens for my birthday :D) for you Ramon!!
meatfreak said:
You won't be disappointed it's a awesome variety to grow and very tasty :D
Cheers for the input... Your input was a part of pushing me to grow them

I don't remember the anticipation/anxiety of waiting for my seeds to pop being this pronounced last season ...(then again every time I grow anything I seem to forget basic plant biology and start expecting devine miracles of plant germination ;) :D ) Then comes the angst of wondering if the jiffy pellets are perfect, the thermometer is working correctly , wait is this heat tray even on .... Oh yes it is .... :ROFL: I wonder if this season was any different to last or the one before that .... Oh wait no ... OCD has been with me since I was born ;)

Good luck with the startup !
I've used Jiffy pellets in the past. You're right about keeping them moist. When the cotyledon's open up I would sink the "peat" into a potted medium, bottom watering after that point.

PIC 1 said:
Good luck with the startup !
I've used Jiffy pellets in the past. You're right about keeping them moist. When the cotyledon's open up I would sink the "peat" into a potted medium, bottom watering after that point.
Thanks for stopping in Greg!!
Yeah the jiffy pellets I use for the ease of handling and general tidyness of them seeing as I don't have a Shed or garden to muck about in at the moment. Before I was in an apartment I always used seed raising mix so it did take me a while to get used to the vagueries of the jiffy pellet.
I find if I use boiling water to do the initial water it thoroughly saturates them and also gets them to saturation point quicker while also killing off any nasties which may be hanging about from the garden centre.
Once they are a few days old I tend to treat them
Like a hydroponic setup and put them in a tray and flood them with diluted seaweed concentrate then let them dry out somewhat and then flood them again. Once they are old enough they then get buried like you suggested.
I am not sure if my way is optimum but it seems to work for me. I haven't lost a single seedling (once germinated) in the past 2-3 years to anything but helmet head on a couple which I think is OK. But I am always looking to improve where I can so I am more then happy to take as many ideas on board as possible.
And taking ideas from a master grower like you Greg is as good as pods on the plant!!

Cheers bro
WalkGood said:
Arn't farmers like actors and you're supposed to wish them "break a leg mon." ;)
Not sure about that ... As long as you don't say break a stem then I think either of the others two works :D ;)

Devv said:
Good luck this year!

Break a leg! ...Oh....
Cheers and thanks for stopping in... Hopefully some photos are just around the corner so it gets a little more interesting ...
romy6 said:
 I am watching your grow Trippa. Lets see some sprouts mate  :party:
Cheers Romy!! I checked this morning nothing yet ... Maybe when I get home from work ... Then again Sunday to Thursday is on the wishful thinking side for most seeds :D
Then again I like to try to be as optimistic as possible ... I will tell them to hurry up as people are waiting ;)
WalkGood said:
Me too brethren Jamie and Trip, just clicked "follow the yellow brick road" "follow this topic"
Cheers Ramon!! Well as long as it doesn't turn out like the end of the yellow brick road with a false wizard and smoke and mirrors then follow along ;). Geez the pressure is mounting on these seeds now !! They better deliver ;)

I don't think the anticipation will ever leave. As long as we are adding varieties that we have never grown,it should always be there. I am always checking moisture,bugs,Ph,rotating,etc. when my plants are indoors. I take better care of them than myself!!! You can't love them too much IMO. The overfeeding is from impatience not too much love. I check every leaf of every plant (top and bottom)until they are big enough to transplant. If anything happens to a plant,I want it to because it was out of my control,not because I was slacking.

Ever group your favorite plants together and block the wind in an electical storm with an umbrella???

OCD.............. yup!

Pr0digal_son said:
I don't think the anticipation will ever leave. As long as we are adding varieties that we have never grown,it should always be there. I am always checking moisture,bugs,Ph,rotating,etc. when my plants are indoors. I take better care of them than myself!!! You can't love them too much IMO. The overfeeding is from impatience not too much love. I check every leaf of every plant (top and bottom)until they are big enough to transplant. If anything happens to a plant,I want it to because it was out of my control,not because I was slacking.

Ever group your favorite plants together and block the wind in an electical storm with an umbrella???

OCD.............. yup!
Thanks for stopping in Prod!!

Yeah you are right impatience is the killer not the love ... I have to remind myself to rein in myself many times on that front ... Especially when it comes to germination!!.

Haha no never with an umbrella but I have turned all the outside furniture on its side in nothing but a towel during a thunderstorm to protect my babies .. Not quite the same but hey ;) :D
Just throwing this out there does anyone have an authentic recipe for jerk seasoning and or pimento cheese??? I made jerk last year and it was great but I want to make sure it was close to authentic at least.
As for pimento cheese I had never heard of it or tasted it before ... However I looked it up after it was referred to in a book and it sounds like something good to dish up with snack food at parties.
Cheers

Back