• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2013-2014 ...its weird and wonderful ... for now..

Pr0digal_son said:
I don't think the anticipation will ever leave. As long as we are adding varieties that we have never grown,it should always be there. I am always checking moisture,bugs,Ph,rotating,etc. when my plants are indoors. I take better care of them than myself!!! You can't love them too much IMO. The overfeeding is from impatience not too much love. I check every leaf of every plant (top and bottom)until they are big enough to transplant. If anything happens to a plant,I want it to because it was out of my control,not because I was slacking.

Ever group your favorite plants together and block the wind in an electical storm with an umbrella???

OCD.............. yup!

Not yet...

But I have come home from work during a wind storm to make sure they were OK...does that count?

OCD? maybe, but normal too...OK OCD..

Devv said:

Not yet...

But I have come home from work during a wind storm to make sure they were OK...does that count?

OCD? maybe, but normal too...OK OCD..
Yeah I think that counts :D

Another question too add to my Jerk marinade/seasoning and pimento cheese one .
I am (on my wife's request) adding a sweet/medium heat ball type chilli for pickling and stuffing with cream cheese (pimientos style but with heat)
What are some suggestions for the best varieties for this??

Trippa said:
Just throwing this out there does anyone have an authentic recipe for jerk seasoning and or pimento cheese??? I made jerk last year and it was great but I want to make sure it was close to authentic at least.

As for pimento cheese I had never heard of it or tasted it before ... However I looked it up after it was referred to in a book and it sounds like something good to dish up with snack food at parties.
Cheers
Hi Trippa, funny you should ask... I just made up some Jerk seasoning yesterday. There's 2 ways you can go with it... wet or dry. This is a classic wet recipe if you're in a hurry, meaning that the marinade is made the same day or the night before. It's also been "tarted up" with the addition of garlic, ginger, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and vegetable oil... http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29843-jerk-seasoning-recipe/#entry604175

If you want a more basic recipe, and time to let the ingredients get better acquainted beforehand, here's a Boston Beach recipe...
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
half a cup of finely chopped scallions, including the green parts
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground allspice berries (Jamaican is preferred)
a quarter tsp ground nutmeg
half a tsp ground cinnamon
4 to 6 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero chiles, minced fine
1 tsp ground black pepper

Using a mortar and pestle or food processor, combine all ingredients and grind to a paste. Store leftover paste in the refrigerator in a tightly closed jar. The paste will keep for up to a month or can be frozen.
IMAG0111_zps5669ef89.jpg

This paste is the base for a jerk marinade. To make the marinade add together...
half a cup of the base
1 onion, finely chopped
1 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero chile, minced or 2 tbsp hot pepper sauce (optional)
leaves from a fresh thyme sprig, finely minced
2 scallions, including green parts, finely chopped
3 to 3 and a half pounds of meat cut into serving pieces.
Mix well, and rub the meat well all over with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours. Set up your grill for indirect grilling and use a combination of charcoal and pemiento wood. If you don't have pimiento wood (and who outside of Jamaica does?), then substitute Apple or Hickory wood. If using a gas grill, preheat to 225 to 250 degrees f. place meat on the grill and cook, covered for 1 to 1 and a half hours, turning every 10 minutes or so until the meat takes on a very dark color and the internal temperature has reached safe levels.

I've never made Pimento cheese spread, but this one looks like a good one from the cooking columnist for the Dallas News...
http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyles/columnists/kitchen-scoop/20130618-make-your-own-pimento-cheese-spread.ece

Hope this helps...

Thanks Rick!! ... Pretty close to what I had (obviously my recipe was a Marinade as well).
And I assume your scallions are our spring onions??
Cool thanks a bunch man ...

Good news .... looked this morning and approx 5.5 days from planting out (actually a little less by a couple of hours) I have my first 2 sprouts  :dance: for the season!!
My cherished new arrivals are the Yellow 7 pot/pod (From my own saved pods via THSC) and a new one for me via Gnslngr ... a White Fatalii!!  Now I am anxious to see some more over the coming 48 hours hopefully.  Always happy to see the first sprouts just to reassure myself I still am doing things right :D

Devv said:
Well congratulations on your new arrivals!
Cheers Devv!!

Its always one of favourite times of the year ... watching the new babies sprout ...
stickman said:
+1 on that... are you handing out cigars or spliffs? :high: (just kidding) ;)   The adventure begins!
Well I am not one to Bogart ;) ... the adventure sure does ... I just hope I have packed the right provisions ... onwards!!

GA Growhead said:
Congratulations! Two excellent varieties for sure.
Yeah one new to me and the other one a favourite which I know well (sometimes its nice to have some familiarity )  Cheers !!

GA Growhead said:
I grew three different yellow 7s last season. Loved them all!
Yeah Great pods and plants
romy6 said:
 Nice action Trippa. But pics or it did not happen  :liar:
Yeah I know ;)  Don't have a macro lens for my camera ... but I will try to get something 

romy6 said:
 Nice action Trippa. But pics or it did not happen  :liar:
2013-2014+First+Sprouts.JPG

White Fatalii and Yellow 7 pot/pod sprouts

In further sprout news... this is what has surfaced today

1 x Sepia Serpent (Doc n roc via Stickman), 1 x Carolina Reaper (Colorado Ronin via King Denniz), 2 x ????? x ????? F1 (Trippa my own mystery cross which I will make available to whomever wants it from F2 or F3 onwards once I have some desirable traits and further back crossing done), 2 x Jalapeno "Cracked" (Pepperlover)

Still no sign of Red Brain Strain, Hot Fish, Jays Peach Ghost Scorpions f4, Nebru, Butch x Douglah f3, Primo x Bhut Jolokia Yellow f2 , Orange Manzano or the Choco Scorpion ... still it has literally been only bang on 7 days exactly since they were put in the dirt so I will be expecting the majority of them within the next 48 hrs I would think... fingers crossed anyway  :pray:  :cheers:  :beer: cheers

Devv said:
Well done!

I sit on my hands until they have a few sets of true leaves, fragile little buggers!
Yeah ... Not about to count my chickens before they hatch trust me. But likewise I find as long as they stay warm, get enough ventilation and light they are fine. They really want to live so its only our mistakes or bad luck that will dictate otherwise in my mind. Well that's my ( foolish ?) Optimism anyway ;)
Cheers Devv
DocNrock said:
Great start, Tristen!
Cheers Doc!! Hey would you happen to know what generation the sepia serpent seeds you gave to stickman were?? Just interested to know how much variation to expect if any. No biggy if you don't know, just interested. :D. Cheers doc!!

Trippa said:
Cheers Doc!! Hey would you happen to know what generation the sepia serpent seeds you gave to stickman were?? Just interested to know how much variation to expect if any. No biggy if you don't know, just interested. :D. Cheers doc!!
They are F4.  :)

Back