• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

tsurrie's 2016 glog

So this is the new season... can't wait to put the seeds in the dirt.
I just finished preparing the grow "corner" for my future seedlings, and everything works fine.

atestledsfans.jpg

The lights are prepared and I plan not to go over 200 plants this year.. but we'll see how that goes.

Like last year ... I'm planning to grow mostly chinense's and annums... but there will be some baccatums (Aji Lemondrop, Aji Amarillo,...) and pubescens (Rocoto,...) that  hogleg sent me....

I'm still working on the final grow list.
But I'm really looking forward to start the action in a week or so.

I'm glad you can finally plant out after that weird snow you had. We had hail and a bit of snow too last day of April, and then BAM summer was just here all of a sudden in May. Noticed the bean section in the bottom, what sorts are you growing? 

Comptine said:
I'm glad you can finally plant out after that weird snow you had. We had hail and a bit of snow too last day of April, and then BAM summer was just here all of a sudden in May. Noticed the bean section in the bottom, what sorts are you growing? 
Yeah, I couldn't wait anymore. It's quite common here to start the summer season with storms, freezing cold weather and such. I remember april as a child, it was raining all the time. But it's different now. Climate has changed a bit and instead of graduatily switching seasons, it's often a mess of a weather.
But hey. I planted out. Yaaaay :)

It's string beans, the kids love it. We grow classic beans at home and on my uncle's garden, where we also grow potato and cabbage.

One down on the garden. Noticed today that one plant is lying and took a look. It looks like it was chewed off by an mole cricket. Mole crickets and snails, what a lovely combination for young plants to grow. :mad:
That plant was a jalapeno. Need to find another from the batch to fill the spot.

I planted a lot and gave some away to friends. The remaining plants are awaiting their destiny...
seedlings08052016.jpg

Here are the plants on the balcony.
balconyrow08052016.jpg

Now we'll see how the soil mix is going to work out this season. Hoping for the best. :cheers:
balcony08052016.jpg

Comptine said:

WHOA! That's one HUGE balcony! 
It's too big, goes around the corner ... Half way around the house. I really dont know what my parents were thinking... Balcony acts like one big cooling rib during the winter. It would be much more practical to have a terrace...
But hell, it comes handy either way. LUCKILY half of that balcony is facing the south. It may look bigger on the picture Those are actualy the same pots - photos taken from both sides.

We added some plants to the garden today. Filled those free spots with Thai and 7pot Brain Strain Red.... and filled the kids part of the garden with Kapija's, Sukari, beetroot and Swiss chard.

Also filled the extra spot by tomatoes with 10 more hot peppers... which are:
2x Farmer's market Jalapeno's, 2x Sulu Adanas, Chilhuacle Rojo, Thai, Corno di toro rosso, Fresno, Jalapeno Hercules and Pequin

garden10052016.jpg

Plants in the pots are doing ok for now. We have rainy weather forecast for about next 14 days. I'm hoping it's not going to be too much rain or those garden plants might drown. Thumbs up.

tsurrie said:
thanks man... how is your grow going?

So far so good, planted about 20 hots and superhots (half of the greenhouse) + I risked 6 tomatos outside last week. I will finish planting outside this week, night temperatures looking safe going forward, 4°C tops.

Nice looking glog Tsurrie! I see you've been having your ups and downs this spring with the weather... it's been crazy here too. Good luck with your grow this year, you've sure put in a lot of work already. Cheers!

Devv said:
Garden looks great! Really nice soil there :dance:

Looks like you're off to a really good start ;)
Thanks. The garden at home has a bit better soil, but I think there is no need to improve it, just to try and try to keep it as it is.
The rain is stil going down like crazy, but they seem fine with it. The few in pots back at home are showing some yellowing though. Got to check ph.
stickman said:
Nice looking glog Tsurrie! I see you've been having your ups and downs this spring with the weather... it's been crazy here too. Good luck with your grow this year, you've sure put in a lot of work already. Cheers!
Thanks man. Yup the weather is a little crazy but it should get better during the next week hopefuly. Good luck to you too.

The annums seem to adapt pretty well on this crazy weather. Days are a lot warmer now and I started to notice some new growth. Chinenses look more stubborn, only potted ones are a little bigger, but the ones on the garden are really poor looking (there is also some snail damage). Hoping to see some more progress soon, which I'll post when it happens.

But when it comes to mole crickets, it's the other way around. They seem to prefer destroying annum plants. Found a few more detached from their roots. Luckily I still have some spare plants left. Those little buggers made me use soap so I poured some stuff in their holes and it helped them out so I could revenge at least two plants.
Here are the two... sort of caught in the act.... nasty little creatures - the left one is more than 6cm long (just think what would this things do if they were the size of a dog... :shocked: )
molecrickets21052016.jpg

I also found some aphids on few plants, but that's really nothing against those ^^^^^

I went mountain biking later to calm my nerves. The sun and the fresh air make wonders. It was beautiful.
scenery21052016.jpg

tsurrie said:
The annums seem to adapt pretty well on this crazy weather. Days are a lot warmer now and I started to notice some new growth. Chinenses look more stubborn, only potted ones are a little bigger, but the ones on the garden are really poor looking (there is also some snail damage). Hoping to see some more progress soon, which I'll post when it happens.

But when it comes to mole crickets, it's the other way around. They seem to prefer destroying annum plants. Found a few more detached from their roots. Luckily I still have some spare plants left. Those little buggers made me use soap so I poured some stuff in their holes and it helped them out so I could revenge at least two plants.
Here are the two... sort of caught in the act.... nasty little creatures - the left one is more than 6cm long (just think what would this things do if they were the size of a dog... :shocked: )

I also found some aphids on few plants, but that's really nothing against those ^^^^^

I went mountain biking later to calm my nerves. The sun and the fresh air make wonders. It was beautiful.

I liked the last pic, but not the first... I had no idea Mole Crickets got so big! I don't think we have them here, but I'm not sure.

That looks like wonderful country to go for a hike or bike trip. :)

Back