• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Turkey Day is near!

Green bean casserole is always a good one. Especially with French cut beans. My mom makes a broccoli/cheese casserole too that is my crack. Crushed Cheezits on top.
Lmao I'm so hungry now.

I feel I must confess to occasionally liking canned French cut, though I can't really even remember the last time I had those, or the meal that I liked them with ...

I think it might have been the other side for pork chops ... along with the requisite applesauce ...

Ozzy2001 said:
Mashed taters are my biggest pile. I mad a pretty good beer bread stuffing last year. I'll have to try and find that recipie.

Any plan for wood, spices, injections, etc? 

My cherry/pecan/apple combo should give that bird a nice smoke 

Gonna inject some apple butter and brine that baby for 24 hours . 

Cooking for the whole family so can't spice it up like I would like 

Ozzy2001 said:
I like to put some bacon grease in the pan with a little water to steam them and coat them with flavor, then salt and pepper it up.

Water makes grease pop, this must be low heat?

The Hot Pepper said:

Water makes grease pop, this must be low heat?
Yes. Low and covered. I let them simmer while I'm making whatever else.
romy6 said:

My cherry/pecan/apple combo should give that bird a nice smoke 

Gonna inject some apple butter and brine that baby for 24 hours . 

Cooking for the whole family so can't spice it up like I would like 
Apple butter injection sounds fantastic. I may steal that from you. I usually do a honey glaze on the outside on our traditional. I love apple butter too. Very nice.

I usually do a smaller 2nd bird that I will experiment with and make spicy. Last year did a jerk turkey it was pretty good.

Don't know about cheese in stuffing(?) but chorizo sounds better than ham. :drooling:

Man…you guys are making me depressed.  My mother in-law dries out the turkey every year in the oven.  Thankfully plenty of sides to eat.   I do not mind as I leave mid meal to go hunting.  Before I had my daughter about six of us would cook thanksgiving dinner in our hunting cabin….the good old days.     

tctenten said:
Man…you guys are making me depressed.  My mother in-law dries out the turkey every year in the oven.  Thankfully plenty of sides to eat.   I do not mind as I leave mid meal to go hunting.  Before I had my daughter about six of us would cook thanksgiving dinner in our hunting cabin….the good old days.     

Wait, WTF ... you get loaded up on tryptophan and then go out into the woods to shoot shit ... for Thanksgiving? ...

Well, on second thought ... maybe the tryptophan is helpful for sitting and waiting ...

The Hot Pepper said:
He has to replace that dry turkey.

I mean, I feel his pain ... grew up eating a lot of dried out baked turkey myself ... but ...

I think of Thanksgiving and getting full and finding my way to a couch to nap and watch football or some shit ...

I would have a hard time getting excited about venturing out into the brush to kill shit, and that's not a statement about the killing, more about the work related to having done it ... carrying, butchering, packaging etc ...

And no one is tired on TD from eating tk, it's from overeating and eating early.

Contrary to the popular belief that turkey has a particularly high amount of tryptophan, the amount of tryptophan in turkey is typical of most poultry.

SmokenFire said:
Oven roasted turkey (brined), mashed potatoes & gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, collard greens w smoked turkey wings, chipotle sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, pecan pie.  

I need to know more about the chipotle sweet potatoes, please =)

It won't be part of our family gathering, but I might have to make it just to have w/ one of the smoked turkey breasts I like to cook throughout the year ...
tctenten said:
Yes those were the days. About 6 of us spent Thanksgiving in the woods then had a small but nice dinner.

I would require Xanax, or I guess shrooms or LSD alternatively, to survive that ...

Back