• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Turkey Day is near!

Mother in law just picked us up a 17lb turkey for $8.. now that's a deal!

Not sure if it will fit in my smoker. That will be the biggest deciding factor on how it's done. Haven't smoked a whole turkey but can assume that will be a rather long endeavor. May end up just doing it in the oven. Some butter, salt, rosemary n sheit all rubbed up under the skin getting to know everyone. 

I usually make my own cranberry sauce and for stuffing probably some version of regular stuffing with apples or something in it. 

twice baked mash taters, deviled eggs and really deviled egg with some moa bonnet/baha goat smoked pepper powder on them. 

Probably make some rolls from scratch as well. 

grantmichaels said:
I feel I must confess to occasionally liking canned French cut, though I can't really even remember the last time I had those, or the meal that I liked them with ...

I think it might have been the other side for pork chops ... along with the requisite applesauce ...

I prefer canned green beans if i'm just having them boiled or what ever. For fresh green beans I prefer cutting off tips and making green bean fries. toss them in a little olive oil and seasalt and bake on a baking sheet in oven. 

grantmichaels said:

I need to know more about the chipotle sweet potatoes, please =)

It won't be part of our family gathering, but I might have to make it just to have w/ one of the smoked turkey breasts I like to cook throughout the year ...

Roast the yams in their skins, peel, mix with liberal amounts of butter, as much chipotle as you like and salt to taste.  If you want to get decadent try a couple tbsp of heavy cream right before service.  ;)

SmokenFire said:

Roast the yams in their skins, peel, mix with liberal amounts of butter, as much chipotle as you like and salt to taste.  If you want to get decadent try a couple tbsp of heavy cream right before service.   ;)

That's easy ... will have to experiment with that, for sure ...

I love the smell of caramelizing sweet potato ...

yea I love sweet potatoes as well. My step mom makes good ones with the marshmellow melted ontop. Though I have to admit I prefer making sweet potato fries by slicing, tossing in olive oil and sea salt and baking. 

Ozzy2001 said:
Never tried that. I may dig on those. I think it's the texture of them that gets me.

The smell of them roasting is to die for, and then to have the skins buttered is like heaven ...

I kind of agree, I basically turn the inside into a damn-near dessert ... brown sugar and butter are the key players for me, with a little melted marshmellow if you are going all out ...

But it's the buttery roasted skins that have the killer flavor/texture in my book ...

Lol exactly. They smell great. I want to like them, I just don't. I even put a small scoop on my plate thinking maybe this time I'll like them, but, nope.

Ozzy2001 said:
Lol exactly. They smell great. I want to like them, I just don't. I even put a small scoop on my plate thinking maybe this time I'll like them, but, nope.

If they aren't mashed, they are strand-y ... and if they cool off too much, I don't like the texture at all ...

Piping hot, mashed w/ butter and brown sugar ... amazeballs ...

Ozzy you will like sweet potatoes after:

sweet_potato_pecan_pie.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Chipotle powder or in adobo?

No brown sugar?

in adobo preferably (I use about 1/3 of a small can) and no brown sugar.  least not in mine, fine to add if you may want some.  :)

Grant you probably like acorn squash halves? Haven't had that in ages, so good baked with butter, maple, and brown sugar.

The Hot Pepper said:
Grant you probably like acorn squash halves? Haven't had that in ages, so good baked with butter, maple, and brown sugar.

And you know how they rock the best? ...

Yup.

Vac'd in a half w/ the center crap spooned out, and replaced with exactly as you described, plus a tiny amount of cinammon and/or nutmeg from time to time ...

You sous vide them at 167F, so it's hardly gentle ...

But man ... comes out like dessert, and ultimately pretty  healthy ...

My ex and I used to eat that for dinner, out of the SVS, to good effect (diet-wise) ...

I used to make a killer spaghetti with bolognese and spaghetti squash. The sweet noodlyness of squash with the spicy meat and black olives in the sauce. Makes a nice combo. 

Back