• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Turkey Day is near!

I was going to post a thread asking for every ones favorite dinner roll recipes. I couldn't find any duastatic malt powder local.

tctenten said:
My father in law asked if I could bake some bread for Thanksgiving. He said he likes it better than store bought....how could I say no. I will make three sourdough boules, using two different recipes. Here is the first one.
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

Looks great brother 1010. I'm putting up a couple sourdough no-kneads today for tomorrow's bake. My favorite parts is the cracking when they cool, lets you know you,did something right :) happy thanksgiving my friend

D3monic said:
I was going to post a thread asking for every ones favorite dinner roll recipes. I couldn't find any duastatic malt powder local.
I have 3 recipes that are balls deep

1- buttermilk biscuits

2- sweet potato rolls

3- sourdough pull apart rolls

Lmk

Thanks 'Bum. That is my best looking one so far. It was a new recipe and hopefully the crumb is good. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

You can put me on the list for the sourdough pull apart rolls. Sounds like something I would like to try.

The sourdough one sounds nice but I don't have a starter culture. 

After doing some reading i'm going to spatchcock and cook in the smoker at 325. Assuming it will fit in the smoker all spread out. 

I was thinking maybe this simple roll recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6758/unbelievable-rolls/

Also doing roasted Brussels sprouts with prosciutto and balsamic, fresh made cranberry sauce, box stuffing, wife is on deviled eggs and mash tatters. I kind of want to try something else too but drawing on a blank on ideas. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
That site is my favorite go to for all things smoking but additionally they are awesome with damn near anything to do with grilling or otherwise. 
After you talking about this site, it's my go to whenever I have a question. Everything I've followed from there has been fantastic.
D3monic said:
If you have any malt for brewing you can grind that up and make powder. That's what I used in the last TD ;)

Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
  • 8 oz. (1-3/4 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour; more as needed for shaping the dough
  • 1 Tbs. granulated sugar
  • 2-1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 4 oz. (8 Tbs.) very cold unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup very cold buttermilk

Mix the dough:
Heat the oven to 500°F and position a rack in the middle of the oven. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk to distribute the ingredients evenly.
Cut the butter into small bits and toss with the flour. With a sharp knife or a bench knife, cut the cold butter crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Stack 3 or 4 slices and cut them into three even strips. Rotate the stack a quarter turn and cut the strips in half. You should create 6 small bits of butter per slice. Toss the butter bits into the bowl with the flour mixture. Continue cutting all the butter in the same manner and adding it to the flour mixture.
fc85re049-04_med.jpg

When all the butter is in the bowl with the flour, use your fingers to separate the butter bits (they tend to stick to each other), coat all the butter pieces with flour, and evenly distribute them throughout the flour mixture. Don’t rub the butter too hard with your fingertips or palms, as this will melt the butter. You’re just trying to break the butter pieces apart, not blend the butter into the flour.
When all the butter is evenly distributed, add the cold buttermilk and stir with a large spoon until all or most of the flour is absorbed by the buttermilk and the dough forms a coarse lump, about 1 minute.
fc85re049-03_med.jpg

Pat and fold the dough:
Dust a work surface with flour and dump the dough onto the floured surface, cleaning out the bowl with a spatula or a plastic bowl scraper. Dust the top of the dough and your hands with flour, and press the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle. Sprinkle a small amount of additional flour on the top of the dough. Fold the dough over on itself in three sections, as if folding a letter (also called a tri-fold). With a bench knife or metal spatula, lift the dough off the counter and dust under it with flour to prevent sticking, if necessary. Dust the top with flour and press the dough out again into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle and repeat the tri-fold. Repeat this procedure one more time (three times in all).
fc85re049-02_med.jpg

Cut and bake the biscuits:
After the third tri-fold, dust under and on top of the dough, if needed, and roll or press the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick oval. Dip a 2-inch or 2-3/4-inch round biscuit cutter in flour and start cutting biscuits, dipping the cutter in flour between each biscuit. Press straight down to cut and lift straight up to remove; twisting the biscuit cutter will seal the sides and interfere with rising. Use a bench knife or spatula to transfer the biscuits to the baking sheet, placing them about 1/2 inch apart.
fc85re049-01_med.jpg

Gently gather any scraps of dough, pat and roll out again, and cut more biscuits from the remaining dough. You can gather and roll the scraps two times total and still get good results (the more times you roll out, the tougher the biscuits will be).
Put the baking sheet in the oven and reduce the temperature to 450°F. Bake for 8 minutes; rotate the pan 180 degrees; continue baking until both the tops and bottoms of the biscuits are a rich golden brown and the biscuits have doubled in height, revealing flaky layers on the sides, 4 to 6 minutes more. It’s all right if some butter seeps from the biscuits. Remove the pan from the oven and set it on a cooling rack, leaving the biscuits on the pan. Cool the biscuits for at least 3 minutes and serve them hot or warm (they will stay warm for about 20 minutes).

Sourdough pull apart rolls-

1 cup sourdough starter

1.5 cups warm water

1  tbl yeast

1 tbl salt

2 tbl raw sugar

2 tbl olive oil

3-4  cups bread or AP flour

melted butter

1. Lightly oil a 9 x 13 inch pan or line with parchment paper.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine starter, water, yeast, salt, sugar and oil.
  3. Stir in flour, adding flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough is manageable.
  4. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead well.
  5. Place dough in a bowl and cover, set in a warm place to double in size.
  6. When double, punch dough down and with lightly floured hands, form into rolls.
  7. Place on prepared pan and let rise until doubled then bake approximately 20 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
  8. Last 5 minutes of baking, brush with melted butter and return to oven.

Turkey spatchcocked and dry brining.

Drippings pan all prepped with celery, carrots, onions, mushrooms, neck and gizzards, sage, thyme, black pepper, white wine and 2" of water. 

Rub made with sage, rosemary, thyme and olive oil. 

Deviled eggs with sandwich spread instead of mayo, pickle, roasted jalapeno, bacon and mustard both dry and stone ground. 

Made a sweet potato puree for the sweet potato rolls tomorrow and cranberry sauce, I prefer it fresh and warm but wifey wanted cold and congealed so went ahead and made tonight. 

Brussels sprouts sliced and everything's ready to go for tomorrow. I wasn't thinking and grabbed prosciutto instead of pancetta for the sprouts... i'm sure it will still be good. 

17 pound spatchcocked turkey... how long you think smoked at 325?

D3monic said:
Hmm, sweet potato rolls do sound good, is this similar to what your mom made @freeportbum ?http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6739/sweet-potato-rolls/
I'll have the recipe in the morning. It uses fresh boiled sweet potatoes. And for each roll you roll the dough into 3 small balls about the size of a large grape and place in a muffin pan. The 3 balls form the roll when they cook, and the sections pull apart nicely when done.

FreeportBum said:
I'll have the recipe in the morning. It uses fresh boiled sweet potatoes. And for each roll you roll the dough into 3 small balls about the size of a large grape and place in a muffin pan. The 3 balls form the roll when they cook, and the sections pull apart nicely when done.

Cool, I boiled 3 sweet potatoes tonight and pureed them so they would be ready in the morning. 

Back