• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Turkey Day is near!

:)

sphpxd.jpg

Great looking pics! I only took a few, wanted to concentrate on the day. Here's what I've got.

Stuffing

image.jpeg

Turkey

image.jpeg

All are pre cooked because these came into play. Apple cider sangria. Apple cider, apple jack, julienned apple and grated ginger with prosecco.

image.jpeg

Ended with the brown sugar buttermilk pie with cinnamon nutmeg whipped cream then bed.

image.jpeg

grantmichaels said:
Nice looking plate ... really nice looking skin on that bird ...

Thanks bud.  :)  Brined for a day, dried in the fridge for a day, brushed with clarified butter and simple S&P.  Started @ 450 for the first 30 mins, reduced heat to 350 and let it roll till I hit 158 on the thermo - no basting or opening of the oven at all.  One of the best turkeys I've made!  

My wife and I went to the inlaw's for Thanksgiving this year. Their bird was OK - they always cook it early, carve it and keep it warm in a slow cooker for a few hours before dinner. It's alright, but it leaves so much to be desired. Since we're big turkey fans, we were still jonesin' for some good, roasted bird. 
    I've never cooked a turkey before, so I decided to do my first one with style. On the grill! I'll admit it was a pain in the ass getting it to fit (14lb. birds don't fit on 18" Weber grills, for the record). I had to do some serious fucking around to get the bird, the dripping pan, the water pan and the fire to all fit under the lid. But I think it worked out pretty good. 
    The best part is, since it was just my wife and me eating this turkey, we have plenty of leftovers for a pot pie and a batch of enchiladas!

IMG_0542_zpskftrpzki.jpg

Happy late Thanksgiving, everybody!

Back