• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Vincent's restarted 2014 glog***April 1st Pic Update***

I figured it was close enough to go ahead and start my 2014 grow. I have already sown many seeds and have a few seedlings as well. Some of you may have seen towards the end of my last grow I had an in-ground garden plot tilled. It's fairly large at 30' long by 25' wide, so it'll hold way more plants than I could ever use lol. I will fill it as much as I can without going overboard..... I am going to be growing the wilds in root pouches just for convenience mainly, I will overwinter all of them hopefully. I just don't want to have to dig them up and worry about damaging their roots. I have about 15-20 seedlings under the T5's right now along with a good bit ofs eeds I'mwai ting to pop up, and my lonely hydro plant (Yellow Daisy Cutter).

Here is a list of the seeds I've sown so far. The ones with a * beside it indicates that at least one has sprouted. This is definitely not a final list and will change constantly until mid January probably.

Forgot to add C. Parvifolium to that list. No sprouts yet though.

I will probably add

MOA Scotch Bonnet
Not Black Naga X Yellow Scotch Bonnet (my own cross, will not release)
My unnamed black hybrid (will not release)
7 pot Primo X (can't release)
7 Pot Jonah Yellow
7 Pot Chaguanas Yellow
7 Pot Rennie Red
7 Pot Rennie Brown
Brazilian Ghost Pepper
Cili Goronong
7 Pot Barrackpore Chocolate *pending trade*
Trinidad Scorpion VV7
Aji Pineapple
UBSC

There's a few more I can't remember. I am almost certain I will have to make some cuts, but I don't know which ones that will be lol. Some of them I'm only growing 1 plant just to (a)see if I like it, and (b) I'm runnning out of seed.

coheed196 said:
Well I had to come up with a better way to store my seeds and keep track of what I had lol. So I came up with this. I ordered some empty prescription bottles from US Plastics and bought a plastic container. Then I numbered every bottle. I then made a spreadsheet of thenu mbers and typed what variety of seed was in each bottle. I made some little row divider things so they wouldn't fall over and well it works pretty well.

Nice! You got all those seed numbers in a spreadsheet or something similar? How long do you expect seeds to last in those bottles? 

Yes I have everything saved in a spreadsheet so I will know which numbe is wh at. The bottles also have a label with the name written on it in case the spreadsheet is lost somehow. I imagine the seeds will last as long as any other method of storage. The bottles are air tight and it's in the slightly cool garage where there's not much light.

Great idea on the seed storage; should work just fine.  Dry and cool
should keep the seeds well; I use little 1 oz. jam jars in cigar boxes
in the garage, and have successfully sprouted seeds from three
seasons ago, and even much longer for some garden plants.

Glad to see the youngin's are looking so healthy.

I'm always interested in germination, so how do you use the Oasis Horticubes?

Friday's almost here!

Devv said:
Glad to see the youngin's are looking so healthy.

I'm always interested in germination, so how do you use the Oasis Horticubes?

Friday's almost here!
Thanks Devv. I am absolutely loving the horticubes so far. I doubt I'll ever use anything else again if I can help it.

First off the sheet I'm using is the 104 cells (I bought a 2 pack) it was just a wee bit longer than the 1020 trays I had. I separated the last row so it would fit and so I could pour water into the bottom more easily. Anyways here's what I have done. I set the sheet in the tray. I poured water into the tray until it reached about halfway up the sheet. I let them soak for an hour or so then poured the water out. (DANGER DANGER, DO NOT TRY TO PICK UP THE SHEET WHEN POURING THE WATER OUT! IT WILL DEFINITELY BREAK) it gets much heavier than you would ever think. The only thing I have a tiny wee little problem with is that the holes are a little bit deeper than I would like. They are between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch deep. I usually go 1/4 inch deep. The way to fix that is to take the end of a pencil, blount end of tweezers, anything blount really and since the horticubes are foam....it crumbles easily. So basically just push some of the foam from the "wall" of the hole into the bottom and fill the hole in to desired depth. I don't cover the seed with anything, out of the 15 or seeds that have sprouted, I had I think 2 helmet heads. The foam does very well at scraping off the seed casing.

Long story but bottom line is I am loving them. It is hard to tell the moisture just by looking at them but if you barely scratch the cube with a nail, tweezers, pencil lead, water should show where you cut it.

Penny said:
Great idea on how to store your seeds. ;)
Thanks, my wife came up with the pill bottle idea actually. I came up with the numbering
MGOLD86 said:
Lookin good brother, got a great list and grow going for you you. Good luck!
Thanks Matt, I have planted alot more already lol.

Have you tried separating one of the horticubes from the main section? I looked at them in my local hydro shop and was worried they would crumble and break apart when I would need to separate them into individual blocks during a transplant. They were completely dry in the store which could explain it, do they turn less crumbly when wet?

If my grow gets any bigger next year I'm going to have to look into solutions like this because rapid rooters are too pricey for a medium to large number of plants.

Thanks!

Ignite said:
Have you tried separating one of the horticubes from the main section? I looked at them in my local hydro shop and was worried they would crumble and break apart when I would need to separate them into individual blocks during a transplant. They were completely dry in the store which could explain it, do they turn less crumbly when wet?

If my grow gets any bigger next year I'm going to have to look into solutions like this because rapid rooters are too pricey for a medium to large number of plants.

Thanks!
Definitely can separate them. I've done it wet and dry. I separate single cubes constantly once a seed sprouts I'll separate it's cube and plant it and move it under the lights. I plant the whole cube, just like you would a rapid rooter or rockwool cube

coheed196 said:
Definitely can separate them. I've done it wet and dry. I separate single cubes constantly once a seed sprouts I'll separate it's cube and plant it and move it under the lights. I plant the whole cube, just like you would a rapid rooter or rockwool cube
Great to know. They've been added to the wish list so I can remember them next year when I start my seeds.

Good luck...not that you need it. :)

Hi Vince,
   Out of curiousity... how long did it take for your Bhuts to hook? The Nagas and Fruts I planted germed within 2 weeks, but nothing yet from the Bhuts.  Yours are looking fantastic.

Vincent that looks like an interesting setup with horticubes.
They look similar to Rockwool which are high ph. Did you have to soak the sheet in an acidic rinse before you planted ?

All sorts of ways to store seeds. I currently use zip bags, but have used both plastic and metal film canisters for yrs...and before that just an old yellow 'Sucrets' Lozenge metal container.......different seeds though....lol
The cooler the storage the better. I germinated tomato seeds that were 8yrs old, the percentage is somewhat lower but it does happen.

Happy Holidays

stickman said:
Hi Vince,
   Out of curiousity... how long did it take for your Bhuts to hook? The Nagas and Fruts I planted germed within 2 weeks, but nothing yet from the Bhuts.  Yours are looking fantastic.
Hey cousin, I want to say they took about a week or so. Week and a half at the longest
PIC 1 said:
Vincent that looks like an interesting setup with horticubes.
They look similar to Rockwool which are high ph. Did you have to soak the sheet in an acidic rinse before you planted ?
Hey Greg, no sir, the horticubes are pH neutral so no soaking at all. Ready to go right out of the package. Just wet down and plant. I would suggest everyone give them a shot. I am almost certain I won't ever use anything else for germination. I am loving them. I have gotten better rates in them than rapidrooters or plain sseed starting mix. They are super easy to work with. If you handle them roughly they will crumble as they're made of foam but I have only broken two out of 208 cubed.

coheed196 said:
Hey cousin, I want to say they took about a week or so. Week and a half at the longest

Hey Greg, no sir, the horticubes are pH neutral so no soaking at all. Ready to go right out of the package. Just wet down and plant. I would suggest everyone give them a shot. I am almost certain I won't ever use anything else for germination. I am loving them. I have gotten better rates in them than rapidrooters or plain sseed starting mix. They are super easy to work with. If you handle them roughly they will crumble as they're made of foam but I have only broken two out of 208 cubed.

Thanks Cousin! I may have to look into the Horticubes... who makes them?

stickman said:

Thanks Cousin! I may have to look into the Horticubes... who makes them?
They are made by Oasis Grower Solutions. It's slightly hard to find a single or 2 pack. Most of what you find are cases that cost well over $100.

The 2 places I ordered mine from are

www.hydrogalaxy.com
www.roguehydro.com

You can get a 2 pack for about $20 with shipping....Rogue hydro does free shipping every day on everything.
They come in different sizes (cubes and number of cells) I am using the 1¼" cube and 104 cube sheet.

Check out the Oasis website lists all the products they make

Thought I'd make it easy......
Hydrogalaxy horticubes page
http://www.hydrogalaxy.com/brands/Oasis.html

And roguehydro page
http://www.roguehydro.com/brands/Oasis-Grower-Solutions.html

Thanks for the reply, another good reason to start off with the cubes would be to eliminate the Gnats that folks talk about when using peat or seed starting mixes.

PIC 1 said:
Thanks for the reply, another good reason to start off with the cubes would be to eliminate the Gnats that folks talk about when using peat or seed starting mixes.
Exactly, using the cubes. I had 2 Galapagoense and 1 Rhomboideum and 2 Chacoense sprout in about 2-2½ weeks as well

Back